Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo Copyright

• 05-09-2010 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hi, I've taken a few photos of landmarks around Ireland which are due to be published in a book next year. These are obviously all my own photos but are there any copyright issues with these if published? i.e. Does a picture of say, the GPO, need to be approved prior to publication by a relevant authority or are the photos mine to use as I want? It's a confusing area for me so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Once you take a photo, you own the copyright of that photo (unless there are specific reasons otherwise, like contracts, employment, etc).

If you took your shots from a public place, then you should have no issues. An Post don't own the copyright to how the GPO looks.

You could have issues, however, if you took the photos in the IFSC since it is private land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

It depends on the landmark, and what protection the owners have taken out for it (for example, the Eiffel Tower at night is copyrighted, but not during the day) -but pretty much any old building that you shot from public property should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It depends on the landmark, and what protection the owners have taken out for it (for example, the Eiffel Tower at night is copyrighted, but not during the day) -but pretty much any old building that you shot from public property should be fine

The Eiffel tower at night is NOT copyrighted. The light display on the Eiffel tower IS copyrighted, as is stated in the link you gave. There is no current copyright on the Eiffel tower itself.

So, if you could photograph the Eiffel tower at night, and not show the lights, you would not be in breach of their copyright.

Paulw wrote: »
    The Eiffel tower at night is NOT copyrighted. The light display on the Eiffel tower IS copyrighted, as is stated in the link you gave. There is no current copyright on the Eiffel tower itself.

So, if you could photograph the Eiffel tower at night, and not show the lights, you would not be in breach of their copyright.

This is very true, and I guess what I meant was if there was something similar here, or if the building was new enough to have not entered into the public domain it's possible they could try and stop your from commercially using the facade (it seems to be a *slight* grey area), but if the building is of any age it's all grand

Without trying to sound smart;

eiffel_tower_at_night.jpg

How can you avoid the lights? Is it the entire thing that's copyrighted? In other words, can I take a photo of a portion of the tower, but not the entire thing, and they have no say in it? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I have a feeling it's the light display that goes off every hour (flashing lights for 5 or so minutes) that they're talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Taking photos outside (seen as you didn't mention if you meant inside the GPO our outside) is perfectly legal and you can do what you want with YOUR pictures.
    Inside the grounds of the IFSC and Trinity College or any business/building requires permission. You may get in and take photos without the security pouncing on you BUT you can't sell them.

Hope this helps!

BTW: As mentioned by PaulW and me. If you take a photo it belongs to you.
    No security guard / building manager / company owner can make you delete them. You can't print them for commercial use without permission.
    Do not be bullied!

I have a feeling it's the light display that goes off every hour (flashing lights for 5 or so minutes) that they're talking about...

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was the pattern of lighting, not just the light display, so essentially you aren't supposed to photo it at night. However, although they retain the copyright, they tend not to prosecute, and it appears that it's there more to have a say if someone tries to make a huge amount off such an image that they'll come knocking, but for the vast majority of the time they'll say nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

My approach is take photos, ask questions later. "Oh I'm not supposed to take photographs here, *walks away and looks at shots taken in supposedly forbidden area*." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tomas1

Once you take a photo, you own the copyright of that photo (unless there are specific reasons otherwise, like contracts, employment, etc).

If you took your shots from a public place, then you should have no issues. An Post don't own the copyright to how the GPO looks.

You could have issues, however, if you took the photos in the IFSC since it is private land.

I was doing photos during painting works, we were subcontracting for other company, can i show them on my webpage?Like my references?

thanks for help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

BTW: As mentioned by PaulW and me. If you take a photo it belongs to you.
    No security guard / building manager / company owner can make you delete them. You can't print them for commercial use without permission.
    Do not be bullied!
    Neither can a garda. Only a judge can make an order to have images destroyed or deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

I own the rights to all photos of the GPO. I bought them from a Mr Pearse years ago. I claim ten shillings from everyone I see taking a picture. I also sell a one day licence which lets you take as many pictures as you like for 24 hours for £10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Adriatic wrote: »
    My approach is take photos, ask questions later. "Oh I'm not supposed to take photographs here, *walks away and looks at shots taken in supposedly forbidden area*." :pac:

^^
    If there's no signs saying photography prohibited or to the same effect, that's actually the correct thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Or....Take the photos you want. If asked to delete them, then delete them. Later when you're home, pop in Sandisk Rescue Pro or similar...and presto, you still have your photos. As far as the security guard on the power trip is concerned, he had his way with you. Everyone's a winner.

Advertisement