Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Coke in McDonalds €1.65....

Options
  • 05-09-2010 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

.....say no more.

Comments

in before 'it's not a rip off because nobody forced you to buy it'

it is v expensive though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Ha ha, didnt buy it when i saw the price, asked the to remove it.......10 minutes later a manager was available to use their card to authorise it being removed from the transaction, worth the wait:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sounds normal enough to me, is it much cheaper in burger king or abras or supermacs?

I know an even smaller size is €2.80 in my local pub.

I sincerely hope idiots do pay these prices, that way they can still afford to have the eurosaver menu. I am always shocked to see people, esp. kids, in mcdonalds not availing of the eurosaver menu. Most do get meal deals though, it is very seldom I see somebody ordering a small drink separately -in any takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

rubadub wrote: »
    Sounds normal enough to me, is it much cheaper in burger king or abras or supermacs?

I know an even smaller size is €2.80 in my local pub.

I sincerely hope idiots do pay these prices, that way they can still afford to have the eurosaver menu. I am always shocked to see people, esp. kids, in mcdonalds not availing of the eurosaver menu. Most do get meal deals though, it is very seldom I see somebody ordering a small drink separately -in any takeaway.

I'm shocked to see kids in Mc Donalds ... the food is full of sugar.

I'm shocked to see kids in Mc Donalds ... the food is full of sugar.
    Yeah, always teeming with them, when I was small mcdonalds was a special treat, it is so cheap now people can afford to go all the time.

When I meant "kids" I really meant teenagers who presumably are living off pocket money but still do not avail of the discounted eurosaver stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I reckon they price it so high so that when people then see how little extra it is for a medium or large they go for one of them instead, and it also makes the happy meal look like more of a "bargain" than it really is. it's the exact same with the fries.

btw, the small drink WAS in the eurosaver a couple of years ago for a quid

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Just back from the states and canada where it is $1 for a large fountain drink with free refills. From working in a baseball stadium I know that those fountain drinks cost next to nothing and they're making huge coin on them here. It's a complete rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Offside wrote: »
    Just back from the states and canada where it is $1 for a large fountain drink with free refills. From working in a baseball stadium I know that those fountain drinks cost next to nothing and they're making huge coin on them here. It's a complete rip off.

and you can get similar deals here too - depends on the mix, the rent, the rates, the raw material costs, the rates, the franchise etc etc etc etc.

Go to subway and you get "free" refills, go to pizza hut and you get free refills. Go the Mc Donalds and you don't get "free" refills.

Your choice.

BTW - Nothing is "free" its paid for in some form or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

91011 wrote: »
    and you can get similar deals here too - depends on the mix, the rent, the rates, the raw material costs, the rates, the franchise etc etc etc etc.

Go to subway and you get "free" refills, go to pizza hut and you get free refills. Go the Mc Donalds and you don't get "free" refills.

Your choice.

BTW - Nothing is "free" its paid for in some form or another.

I was mainly referring to the $1 for substantially more coke with the refills as an afterthought - the fact is that McDonalds and every restaurant make huge margins on the fountain sodas. This is the reason Pizza Hut, Subway etc. can afford to give out these "free" refills in Ireland. You mention the raw material costs? They're minimal
    The concentrate for 70 percent of Coca-Cola's 1.5 billion drinks served each day originates in the tax haven of Ireland, where enough concentrate for 50,000 Cokes costs $2.60—including labor. The concentrate's main ingredient? Caramel.
    - http://www.newsweek.com/2009/06/05/we-read-it-so-you-don-t-have-to.html - and while this doesn't mention the price which coke are selling the stuff on to McDonalds at I doubt it's enough of a mark up to justify 1.65 for a small coke.

I was mainly referring to the $1 for substantially more coke with the refills as an afterthought - the fact is that McDonalds and every restaurant make huge margins on the fountain sodas.

of course they do and its all part of the "mix" - less than 20% of the cost of your mc donalds fast food meal is in the raw material cost. Salary costs are huge as are rent, rates, esb etc etc.

we're paying for convienence, image and perceived quality (from a fast food point of view). If they charged 50c for coke, then the fries would go up / less special's offered.

The alternative - You can buy your burger in McDonalds and then go to a store next door and get 2l of coke for about €2. You can buy a 500ml of coke in a store for 1.50 and the same store will charge just 50c more for 2L.

From a wholesale point of view, I can get 24 cans of cokes for 9.99 + vat for resale. (12.09 / 50c per can) I can also go into dunnes and buy 24 cans for 8.99 incl. vat but they are marked "part of multipack", so I have to pay more for cans for resale as a retailer than I can buy as a consumer from any dunnes outlet. - Why? - Because thats how coca cola works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I was mainly referring to the $1 for substantially more coke with the refills as an afterthought - the fact is that McDonalds and every restaurant make huge margins on the fountain sodas.

of course they do and its all part of the "mix" - less than 20% of the cost of your mc donalds fast food meal is in the raw material cost. Salary costs are huge as are rent, rates, esb etc etc.

we're paying for convienence, image and perceived quality (from a fast food point of view). If they charged 50c for coke, then the fries would go up / less special's offered.

The aThrewlternative - You can buy your burger in McDonalds and then go to a store next door and get 2l of coke for about €2. You can buy a 500ml of coke in a store for 1.50 and the same store will charge just 50c more for 2L.

From a wholesale point of view, I can get 24 cans of cokes for 9.99 + vat for resale. (12.09 / 50c per can) I can also go into dunnes and buy 24 cans for 8.99 incl. vat but they are marked "part of multipack", so I have to pay more for cans for resale as a retailer than I can buy as a consumer from any dunnes outlet. - Why? - Because thats how coca cola works.[/ QUOTE]

Man, not having a dig here, nor being sarcastic, but how the hell do you know all this info??
    Man your like a human calculator lol!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Doh!!!! still getting used to android

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

[/ QUOTE]

Man, not having a dig here, nor being sarcastic, but how the hell do you know all this info??
    Man your like a human calculator lol!!!![/QUOTE]

Gucky, I've thought the very thing myself - 91011 - You should be on dragons den or something - you're wasting your talent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Remember being up in my local retail park recently.. with a KFC and McDonalds right next to it.

Actually just wanted a drink so went through the drive-thru of the KFC and their medium coke is €1.49... a small coke in McDonalds costs more than that!

Maaaaaaaaaaaadness!

[/ QUOTE]

Man your like a human calculator lol!!!!

Gucky, I've thought the very thing myself - 91011 - You should be on dragons den or something - you're wasting your talent!![/QUOTE]

:D
    I have a passive interest in three businesses of friends in various sectors, my own business, and have previously worked mainly in UK / France on consumer products.

And as herself would say, if there was no business page in the papers I'd get withdrawal symptoms!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just back from the states and canada where it is $1 for a large fountain drink with free refills.

Yeah I've seen that in the states on my visits too, kinda explains why the USA have a massive weight problem really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yeah I've seen that in the states on my visits too, kinda explains why the USA have a massive weight problem really

and Ireland isn't too far behind, the amount of fat kids I see about the place is shocking, parents should be fined but sure most of them are fat too, disgusting really.
    Yep, fizzy drinks are the main culprit IMO, a kid may have a burger and fries once in the day but I'd say they would easily consume more than one serving of fizzy drinks, hanging around with their mates etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

.....say no more.
    went to my local pub for lunch one day, for a drink i asked for glass of coke. they arrived at the table with a can of coke with glass of ice, and this cost €2.50 for can of coke, i nearly died. i paid it but never went for lunch there again.

Dambant wrote: »
    this cost €2.50 for can of coke, i nearly died.
    Thats a very good price relative to other pubs, this should seriously be in bargain alerts, where is this pub?

In my local it is €2.80 for a 200ml bottle of coke, and this is more or less the same in most pubs (though I never buy it myself) -this works out at €4.62 for 330ml (size of your can). I know many spirit drinkers who would love a pub which sold cans. To fill a pint glass (568ml) with coke it needs 3 bottles, so €8.40 in my local.

If you want a cheaper glass of coke you should specifically ask for a glass of splash coke (i.e. from those soda dispenser things). If there is no splash get a pint of blackcurrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I can also go into dunnes and buy 24 cans for 8.99 incl. vat but they are marked "part of multipack", so I have to pay more for cans for resale as a retailer than I can buy as a consumer from any dunnes outlet. - Why? - Because thats how coca cola works.

Honestly, nobody is stopping you from selling on cans from a multipack seperatley. Who is going to stop you, it isn't illegal. Plenty of shops around me do, I have no problem with it once I don't get a smaller portion for the same price.

• Advertisement

Cian92 wrote: »
    Honestly, nobody is stopping you from selling on cans from a multipack seperatley. Who is going to stop you, it isn't illegal. Plenty of shops around me do, I have no problem with it once I don't get a smaller portion for the same price.

of course I could do it, but its not worth the hassle. Between explaining dunnes recipts to the accountant, having some customer wag their fingers, and then the inconvienence of just going to dunnes for one product for a store that stocks about 1000 products.

Advertisement