Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

human trafficking

Options
  • 05-09-2010 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I would be interested in finding any articles, books, documentaries or anything else that explains or explores the connotations/connections/similarities that adoption (the industry, the practices, or the phenomenon) has with human trafficking (the crime).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I find the nature of this request in this forum very distasteful and bordering on insulting to anybody involved in adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

thousands of babies where shiped to america in the 50s and 60s and if that was,nt human trafficking i don,t know what is.....kathy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm pre-emptively issuing a warning to everyone who intends to post on this topic. Post in a manner sensitive to the other folk who use this forum- this is not a discussion thread on human trafficking, the OP has requested information on books/documentaries/articles etc- that is the narrow remit of this thread. Stray from this narrow remit, and you will enjoy a posting holiday from this forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi, try googling ACE [ adopted citizens of ireland ] they ar a american based group of people who where adopted from ireland to the us. it was set up by mari steed if u google her name u should get her story.kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

easynote wrote: »
    I would be interested in finding any articles, books, documentaries or anything else that explains or explores the connotations/connections/similarities that adoption (the industry, the practices, or the phenomenon) has with human trafficking (the crime).

Mike Milotte's Banished Babies is a useful starting point for an Irish overview.

The 'connotations/connections' part suggests you're looking for something a bit more....theoretical? I'm sure you can find some deconstructionist postmodern twaddle somewhere - although it is hardly a substitute for sound empirical study.

There was a BBC documentary called 'love in a cold climate' aired a good few years ago, and also Francis Finnegans 'Do Penance or Perish' for a history of the Magdalan institutions - the latter also provides a decent analysis of the social context of the rescue movement. I'm not aware of anything specifically in the vein you describe, but there are plenty of texts that will address various aspects of the Irish regime (social policy history, social history, theoretical texts on informal social control etc...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement