Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I liked the original Penumbra games. My only gripe was that the originals didn't make use of the lighting as much as they should of, it kinda drained the atmosphere a bit IMO.

However, judging by the trailers there, thats next on my list of games to buy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

This looks pretty bloody awesome, definitely going to be picking this one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Try the demo, the graphics aren't that far advanced from where they were, maybe its cos I'm playing it at 1920x1200 when it might be better play it at a lower res in a window. Atmosphere is the same as the others, really freaky.

I started the demo and quit after 10 mins, gonna wait to play the full game and not spoil it, definitely buying

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I never played the penumbra (sp) games. I wanted to but figured they would be old and out of date. Definitely want to play this though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Meant to post a new thread about this. Preordered it months ago.Been looking forward to it. I think it was delayed for a bit, fairly sure it was due around 15 August.

I got the first Penumbra game when it first came out. They were one of the few pc devs who were supporting Linux. I remember they had planned it to be a trilogy but after Overture, they ran into a lot of problems with the publisher and afterwards decided to finish the story with Black Plague, releasing the requiem as expansion. I lost track of the development of black plague and when I finally played it I didn't know how it would continue the story. There was one bit at the start when you first come across the enemies that scared the bejesus out of me.

I never finished Requiem because I think it lost a lot of the atmosphere of the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Played the demo. Really, really creepy. The water part is very intense, but that is to be expected from this awesome swedish developers. Most importantly, they also bothered their arses to make a Linux version, so this is an instant purchase for me.
    Regarding graphics, they are a small team of around 10 developers at most, you can't expect the graphics to be at the same level of Crysis. The graphics surpass Penumbra imo, and are very, very nice. Nothing wrong graphically when you consider
    the size of the company. Very impressive that an indie studio can pull off such a great game:pac:

Linux version ftw :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Looks scary as fcuk alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Playing through Penumbra: Black Plague at the moment (at night, wearing headphones, no lights on). It's my entry to the series and the only one you need to play, I hear.

It's the most scared I've been while playing a game. Shame I don't have the Novint Falcon version... or a Novint Falcon.

Fnz wrote: »
    Playing through Penumbra: Black Plague at the moment (at night, wearing headphones, no lights on). It's my entry to the series and the only one you need to play, I hear.

It's the most scared I've been while playing a game. Shame I don't have the Novint Falcon version... or a Novint Falcon.

I think you really need to play overture first. It's the first part of the story and black plague picks up almost Immediately from where it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Heard about this on a podcast recently. It looks really nerve jangling alright. Think it would freak me out too much, Id end up not finishing it! :D

• Advertisement

I think you really need to play overture first. It's the first part of the story and black plague picks up almost Immediately from where it ends.

Dunno, why would people say the first one is worth skipping? What about the prequel is worse?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Played the demo earlier after Pog told me about it - bloody hell it's scary. Haven't played anything that frightening since the Shalebridge Cradle. It's only 11.99 on Steam if you pre-order too which makes buying this a complete no-brainer.

I bought the Penumbra series in a steam sale a while back and only got around to playing the first one this evening, and ended up playing it almost the whole way through.

Fnz wrote: »
    Dunno, why would people say the first one is worth skipping? What about the prequel is worse?

I dunno why people always tell others to skip Overture. I thought it was just as good. In fact the opening levels are great. I didn't even know what the enemies looked like for ages (different from black plague) because i would run and hide when I heard the growling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'll probably pick this up, looks interesting. Good price too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Downloaded the demo, but waiting for the right evening when there's no one else in the flat and I can play in the dark, with the volume right up. It's a long long time since I was scared by a movie or game, so I eagerly await playing this in the right mood & atmosphere :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Awesome demo. Can't wait for the full game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Played and finished the demo (only takes about 30 mins), ordered the full game immediately. Great fun :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Installing now. Anyone get the full game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Installing now. Anyone get the full game?

Just playing it now, quality stuff so far, only about an hour into it.

Bought a copy but it will have to wait until I'm done with Black Plague.

Was happy to see the game, at least, made it to the top of the Steam chart - knocking the, err... juggernaut that is "Mafia II DLC: Jimmy's Vendetta", from it's lofty perch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

I watched a stream of one of the Penumbra games last night(Overture), it was such a joke. Just reading stuff, plowing around in the dark, and dogs appearing out of nowhere.

I think it's too easy to convince people you've made an artistic game just because you don't shoot guns in it.

Games already offer a simplistic set of things you can do compared to real life; they get by, by including things in that set that you normally can't or wouldn't do in real life.

Games like the Penumbra series just seem "Limited" rather than innovative.

Maybe you should play the game instead of watching a stream to form a proper opinion on it.

Amnesia is awesome. Scariest game I've played in years. And why does the water section still scare the crap out of me?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Sandvich wrote: »
    I watched a stream of one of the Penumbra games last night(Overture), it was such a joke. Just reading stuff, plowing around in the dark, and dogs appearing out of nowhere.

I think it's too easy to convince people you've made an artistic game just because you don't shoot guns in it.

Games already offer a simplistic set of things you can do compared to real life; they get by, by including things in that set that you normally can't or wouldn't do in real life.

Games like the Penumbra series just seem "Limited" rather than innovative.

That's just a load of arse (or successful troll is successful). I just finished the second Penumbra game earlier this evening, the first one two nights ago and both were excellent. You don't know what you're talking about if you're just judging it on a 'stream'.

Anyway, Amnesia is bloody excellent. I haven't been this creeped out by a game (in a really enjoyable way) in years. I really hope this sells well, as I'd love to see more of this from these guys. It's games like this that the PC used to be all about. Anyone who liked the Thief games will just love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Link me to a source where the developers state they were trying to make a piece of art.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Link me to a source where the developers state they were trying to make a piece of art.

That has to be one of dumbest posts I've read on game development in a long time.

Also, people are hilariously quick to defend it too, or rather to attack me instead of providing any reasons why they are quality games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Dumbest post? Really? I thought it was a valid point... it's not sold as an art game. I've heard words like survival horror, immersive and fcuking scary, but not art.

That has to be one of dumbest posts I've read on game development in a long time.

Also, people are hilariously quick to defend it too, or rather to attack me instead of providing any reasons why they are quality games.

Yep, it's everyone else who's spouting nonsense... after all, you did watch some footage from the game before soundly trashing it. :P

The irony. Tell you what - how about you actually play the games before passing judgement on them or those that have. Or write stupid posts.

grizzly wrote: »
    Dumbest post? Really? I thought it was a valid point... it's not sold as an art game. I've heard words like survival horror, immersive and fcuking scary, but not art.

"art" is not such a narrow term. Anything that excels well enough in a creative field can be considered a work of art. There are very few "art" games in the vein you're thinking of, but that doesn't mean there aren't hundreds that try to be pretentious on an artistic level.

• Advertisement

You're the only one mentioning art! ffs. People have commented on the merits of the game already and no one has mentioned art.

Advertisement