Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I've played roughly 3 hours of the game (I think). Currenlty trying to get the elevator working. The water section scared the bejebus out of me. I paniced and tried to open a door the wrong way :p.

Then
    I really paniced when I realised I needed a lock pick for one of the doors

Has anyone noticed that when you die, it doesn't reload a save? You lose any items you used prior to dying but you also retain some progress. The manual states that everytime you die the world changes in some way. ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Has anyone noticed that when you die, it doesn't reload a save? You lose any items you used prior to dying but you also retain some progress. The manual states that everytime you die the world changes in some way. ???

All that amounts to, from what I can see, is that if you get killed by the same zombie-thing a few times, it removes it, or puts it somewhere else so you can continue.

Open to correction here, but I haven't noticed anything else changing.

All that amounts to, from what I can see, is that if you get killed by the same zombie-thing a few times, it removes it, or puts it somewhere else so you can continue.

Open to correction here, but I haven't noticed anything else changing.

You're probably right. Although I did see somebody on the frictional forum claiming that a door became permanently locked after dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Finished it last night, very enjoyable and definitely had some spooky-as-fu<k moments. Fizzled out a little towards the end, but most games do. The writers were rather better at setting up the plot then they were at answering the questions raised.

Still, a solid 8, well worth €12. Took me about 10 hours to finish it, although I took a fairly leisurely pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I am in the control room at the moment. Really great game, I should buy it again just to say thanks for the devs for an awesome game running natively under my os of choice. Frictional games comes across as very professional for such a small company.

• Advertisement

Finished it last night. Great game but it does drop a bit at the end. A few times I didn't bother running from the monsters if they saw me because it was quicker to die and just reload.

I'm not sure if there is a way to make the player want to avoid getting killed in a game like this other than wanting to keep up the tension. The mind games and atmosphere were scarier.

Did anyone trigger the scene in the
    Transcept?, if your sanity is low enough the picture at the top of the spiral staircase changes if you look away and look back.

I saw the good and the bad endings. Didn't have time to try the 'revenge' ending.
    With each of the 3 endings in the game you get a password. If you combine all 3 you can use them to unlock the supersecret.rar file in the game's install folder. It contains artwork and early videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭briany

I played a bit of it last week and it's quite good but I'll add a couple of minor criticisms and praises.

It has physics puzzles. I like games that force you to improvise to a certain extent. Now usually the puzzles will be set up in a way that they makers know roughly what the finished result should look like but there's still a great feeling of accomplishment in building a rudimentary walkway to a higher area or something like that.

It's scary. Quite scary, and the sense of place is well developed. There's enough noise and creaks to keep you on edge at pretty much all times. It's pretty much why I can only play games like these in pretty short bursts because they can become pretty stressful in a hurry. Especially if played as directed. Yeesh.

However, the insanity mechanic really bugs me. It comes on far too quickly and takes far too long to fully shake the effects of it. The way he becomes a gibbering wreck after thirty seconds crouched in a corner could potentially negate the stealthy benefits that space provides, providing that there's a baddie nearby.

I don't like the feeling of being totally helpless. I think that there is a balance in these types of games that can be struck between being armed to the teeth and running for your life every time. Being helpless can work but only with reasonable periods of respite to focus on more puzzle oriented gameplay, but a moment later in the game where you can take the fight to 'em would be oh so satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

where would be the best place to order this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Sandvich wrote: »
    "art" is not such a narrow term. Anything that excels well enough in a creative field can be considered a work of art. There are very few "art" games in the vein you're thinking of, but that doesn't mean there aren't hundreds that try to be pretentious on an artistic level.

HAHA, i love how you skip over everyones comments about how you've based your opinion on a video of the game !!! LOL. Games are ment to be played, not watched.

I need to get this game... looks intense as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

where would be the best place to order this game?

I'v only really seen it on Steam. It's currently €14.99. It's a very good game, one of the few games iv ever played that has genuinely scared the crap out of me

• Advertisement
Advertisement