Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oktoberfest 2010 - Suggestions?!

Options
  • 05-09-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi all,

Taking off to the Oktoberfest in Munich at the end of this month and just wondering if anyone has been before and if you had any tips/tricks/suggestions about what to do/what not to do?!

Is it worth going to the Schottenhamel tent for the opening?? What are the best tents to head for?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i'd suggest at this point getting accomadation is gonna cost you a fortune. i'd suggest you get looking now to see if it's practical for you.

your best option may be to stay in a nearby town within an hours train journey or so to munich as the city is pretty much booked out on oktoberfest.

i'd advise you to get to the tents early in the day, sometimes when it's busy they don't let people in after 2 or 3 and you can spend your time standing outside (not sure if the "downturn" has effected this though).

when you finish at oktoberfest go and get some sleep. don't go out until 4am in the morning too. the tents are open 10am - 10pm or something similiar, that should be enough time.

take the day off when you get back too, you'll be wrecked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

I'm off myself to Oktoberfest this year. Been once before. Great craic. Hofbrau is a good party tent. Learn the song - fliegerleid. It'll be worth it! Cheesy but it's gonna be heard all day long. They stand on the tables singing it out so it's nice if you know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayGunner

Haha - cheers!

Already managed to get accommodation in the city center so should be grand.

There's only 3 or 4 of us - would we need to reserve seats in the tents or is it just a case of turning up on time???

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

No need to reserve seats. Once you get into a tent, get chatting, and before you know it, you'll be sat at a table and you'll be served then. They say you have to be sitting to be served. I used to be walking around and ask them and they'd come back.

Depending on when you are going, you may need to go early. The queues can be long at first and last weekend I think. Weekdays wouldn't be as bad. I'll be going in at 10am this year anyway!

Prost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pintofmilk

Good guide to Oktoberfest here: http://travelmag.co.uk/?p=2036

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayGunner

Cheers for the tips lads - I'll start my Oktoberfest preparations by downing litres of Dutch Gold at a time and revising my old leaving cert German - should be a good laugh ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

im heading over myself .one question we didnt reserve any seats so im wondering what time would you wanna be going to the tents at to get in.we are going tues to friday last week .

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Heading there tomorrow, and absolutely can't wait.
    Was there once before and it's such great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Advertisement