Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Sky Ride schemes in Dublin or Ireland?

• 05-09-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

I see London today has a 'Sky Ride'. Basically they have closed 15km of roads in London of to allow people to cycle without traffic. No pressure at all, complete amateurs to professional road racers are welcome.

http://www.goskyride.com/

Good idea like.

Are there any schemes in Dublin or Ireland. It would be cool to race around Dublin without having to worry about the kamikaze Dublin Bus drivers or taxis.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Stokolan wrote: »

That wasn't a go sky ride event. It was sky sponsored sportive.

The go sky rides are short closed road rides in major urban areas which are free of any charges. They are short events used to promote cycling to everyone and anyone and they seem to be very well supported.

They are a colloboration between British Cycling and Sky.
    The chances of Cycling Ireland getting involved in anything like this seems remote, as remote as they are. For them their idea of a leisure ride is someone who rides tempo to their race :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

well we had the cycles through dublin for bike week, that was short/closed roads family type setup

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

well we had the cycles through dublin for bike week, that was short/closed roads family type setup

Hardly a national strategy then and I'll bet CI had nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

theres plenty of crits around the country during the year if you want to race around the town. but i dont think the sky rides are meant for racing? why do people want to race fun events? same in the sean kelly tour you got people on here sayin "i did it in 4:58" why didnt they **** off to the races that weekend instead? (im just jealous cause it took me 6:01)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ktz84 wrote: »
    Hardly a national strategy then and I'll bet CI had nothing to do with it.

They might have, probably not though. Don't see why it matters who was involved. OP wanted to know did we have similar things, and it seems we do, just not so widespread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

I heard there is a Sky Ride in Dublin in September - does anyone here have any details on it? Also seen the one in London and would like to go along if there was one coming to Dublin.

Thanks!:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

kaza2710 wrote: »
    I heard there is a Sky Ride in Dublin in September - does anyone here have any details on it? Also seen the one in London and would like to go along if there was one coming to Dublin.

Thanks!:D
    11 September

Thanks Beasty - do you know where it is taking place? ah never mind I got the hyperlink. Cheers!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

**vested interest**

Lets get as many boardsies out to this as possible. It's going to be a great day getting around Dublin with no traffic to worry about!

• Advertisement

Will the roads be closed? I couldn't find any info on the route outline

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pleader

Stokolan wrote: »

Skyride in Clare not on until this Sunday - 21st August.
    Was supposed to be doing it but wife is due today and still no sign. Had hoped baby would put in a slightly early appearance but to no avail. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pleader wrote: »
    Skyride in Clare not on until this Sunday - 21st August.
    Was supposed to be doing it but wife is due today and still no sign. Had hoped baby would put in a slightly early appearance but to no avail. :(

look at the date on that post ;)

hmmm sky rides, ride around with a big yellow bib with sky across it no thanks

oh wait i bought those sky shorts ...c r a p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

kaza2710 wrote: »
    Will the roads be closed? I couldn't find any info on the route outline

Yep the roads will be closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

This is a perfect opportunity to force my girlfriend to cycle with me! :D

I see there is a bit more in the papers today about it. Managed to get round to registering last night. Hoping there will be a good bit there for kids as well as cycling fans. I'd say teenage girls will love it, yer one from Westlife seems to be involved :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Advertisement