Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Luas Needs You!

• 05-09-2010 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

has anyone seen these awful posters on the luas shelters recently?

attachment.php?attachmentid=126592&stc=1&d=1283691259

it seems the luas and veolia needs their customers help to curb the amount of vandalism and anti social behavour on their trams! maybe these people should read through this thread and several other similar threads about veolias failure to protect their customers from various scumbags on the red line!

these people expect us the passengers to make statements to the guards against known scumbags and drug dealers and then of course these scumbags will be given our name and address and then we are expected to take time off work etc and stand in court and tell the truth, while veolia do what exactly?
    have they improved the situation on the red line luas? no they have not! abby street stop was overrun with drug dealers yesterday, there was also delays caused by winos around st. james hospital and several other minor incidents where the security were useless.

i personally saw security wake one sleeping junkie on a tram from tallaght yesterday evening but when they saw his condition they just stood near him and then got off themselves at heuston! so they are not even removing the junkies/winos from the trams now?

they must have brass necks to dare put these posters up on the red line begging for our help when they have been no help with beggars scumbags etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Call 999 to report a vandal? extreme. As you say they refuse to deal with the junkies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Call 999 to report a vandal? extreme. As you say they refuse to deal with the junkies...
    that's what 999 is used for. it's to report the immediate risk to life or property or a crime in progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

"Vandals - Your next stop is jail"

A better poster would be to tell passengers how many junkies/scumbags have already been prosecuted in front of the courts to date. But I reckon very few, if anybody, has ever been prosecuted for criminal behaviour on the Luas.

The ironic thing is that these posters have replaced the previous "Luas CCTV Is Watching You" posters. Does this suggest that those cameras are not working?

Surely if Luas has the fancy cameras it says it does, then it shouldn't need the help of ordinary passengers just wanting to get home. There are Luas Customer Service staff ignoring the scum, so why should we have do put ourselves at risk?

They should probably also tell people the Luas number they're advertising doesn't work after 7pm. I know this from experience when trying to report something. I would only feel comfortable ringing 999 if it was a serious incident which needed urgent attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭markpb

KD345 wrote: »
    The ironic thing is that these posters have replaced the previous "Luas CCTV Is Watching You" posters. Does this suggest that those cameras are not working?

I assume the cameras are recorded but not monitored live so the images would be useful for prosecution later but no-use for stopping it happening at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

A better poster would be to tell passengers how many junkies/scumbags have already been prosecuted in front of the courts to date. But I reckon very few, if anybody, has ever been prosecuted for criminal behaviour on the Luas.
    i have never heard of anyone prosecuted except for the few roma gypsies that were arrested in one incident
    it seems to be all focussed on genuine hardworking people rather than scumbags, we are watching you so watch your step but the scumbags know their waffle is meaningless!
    Surely if Luas has the fancy cameras it says it does, then it shouldn't need the help of ordinary passengers just wanting to get home. There are Luas Customer Service staff ignoring the scum, so why should we have do put ourselves at risk?
    there is also luas security staff ignoring the scum!
    They should probably also tell people the Luas number they're advertising doesn't work after 7pm. I know this from experience when trying to report something. I would only feel comfortable ringing 999 if it was a serious incident which needed urgent attention.
    it also does not work after 1pm on saturdays and not at all on sundays or on holidays!
    markpb wrote: »
    I assume the cameras are recorded but not monitored live so the images would be useful for prosecution later but no-use for stopping it happening at the time.
    only useful if someone tries to make a claim against luas/veolia!

from my experience of ringing the freephone number on a few occasions it seemed like the cameras are focused on the ticket machines and on the platform edge only to record incidents that may occur which might that people could claim compensation for,

when i rang one day i was put through to the cctv office but it was like the guy was unable to see the persons on the platform as he asked me for a full description of them and their exact location as if he could not see tham at all! i am almost sure from this that cameras are static on the ticket machines or on spots where people might make claims from like the ends of the platforms where one could claim to have been struck by a moving tram.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I rang them once to tell them of my security concerns and they told me if I am nervous to use the emergency button, I can hardly use that when the druggies are right next to me and I would be too scared to in any case.

They don't seem to give a stuff about our safety or security and are more interested in us being their security staff :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

People need to grow a pair in this country, we can't pawn off everything on someone else and spend our lives cowering from every little thug. Veolia can't be everywhere and asking their customers to ring a number if they see antisocial activity is not an unreasonable request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Hmmm...
    People need to grow a pair in this country,

Quite...however its another thing to ask folks like Angel01 to perform this task in preference to the Transport Operator securing it`s own system to an extent which leaves it fit-for-purpose.

It`s now becoming obvious that Veolia/RPA are monitoring the rapidly expanding amount of threads regarding their loss of control over the Luas operation.

I would readily concur that the core issue is a far wider one than can be adequately addressd by a Transport Company alone.

For example my friend was in Portland,Oregon last week and experienced two Public Transport related issues within a short time.

The first was a chance meeting with a young lady in the Botanical Gardens who was pruning some thorny bushes.

In conversation with my friend the young lady volunteered the information that she was doing a Court Ordered voluntary work detail after her second offence of travelling without a valid Train Ticket...she volunteered for the Work Detail in preference to the alternative....30 days in jail !

The second experience entailed being required to queue for a ticket inspection in Downtown Portland,this being carried out by two City Policemen !
    Having watched them collar two miscreants,my friend asked them if they were employed by the Railway Operator....their response....

" No Ma`m,having a valid ticket for your journey is a matter of law and our job is to enforce the Law"

We however would never be able to embrace such a simplistic attitude which entails a simple go/no go situation and therefore we stumble along watching each and every expensive new system or item we have being trashed or otherwise devalued by individuals who would have no difficulty whatever inflicting real harm on anybody who`se pair had grown too big for comfort.

I suppose it`s why the Americans reached the Moon and we did`nt ??

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

angel01 wrote: »
    I rang them once to tell them of my security concerns and they told me if I am nervous to use the emergency button, I can hardly use that when the druggies are right next to me and I would be too scared to in any case.

They don't seem to give a stuff about our safety or security and are more interested in us being their security staff :eek:
    my experience is those emergency buttons have mostly been damaged probably by beggars/junkies etc to instill more fear and discomfort into people so they will give more freely to avoid any kind of unsavory confrontation.

As for growing a pair hmmm, when was the last time you were threatened with violence or a syringe?

It would also appear that veolia will.only do something about the issues when it affects their profits because security costs too much as does having proper cctv monitoring and asbo's taken out to prevent the scumbags from congregation at Luas stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭markpb

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The second experience entailed being required to queue for a ticket inspection in Downtown Portland,this being carried out by two City Policemen !
    Having watched them collar two miscreants,my friend asked them if they were employed by the Railway Operator....their response....

" No Ma`m,having a valid ticket for your journey is a matter of law and our job is to enforce the Law"

I concur :) In LA, all public transport is patrolled (for ticket inspections and for safety) by LAPD, LA Country Sheriffs, Metro ticket inspectors and an undercover group, presumably from LAPD. It's not perfect but if I had a choice between an LA Blue line through Compton or a Dublin Red line through Smithfield, I'd feel much safer in Compton.

• Advertisement

Ah but ya know we do it differently here in Ireland, if you break the law it is not really a crime at all unless someone complains about it and makes a big fuss!

hmmm wrote: »
    Veolia can't be everywhere and asking their customers to ring a number if they see antisocial activity is not an unreasonable request.

A typical journey on the red line would have you spotting numerous examples of anti social/criminal behaviour. To suggest I should ring 999 for each of these incidents is a bit much.

I do feel for Veolia, as they didn't create these problems, but it is their responsibility to deal with them. I just find it a bit annoying when Luas staff and security turn a blind eye to the scumbags but we're expected to ring and report these same incidents.

I do feel for Veolia, as they didn't create these problems, but it is their responsibility to deal with them.
    The majority of incidents of vandalism on the LUAS are small scale nuisances. I still don't see the problem with Veolia asking people to ring them to report this, they can't have security on every LUAS. Irish people sit there cowering in fear at every 16 year old in a tracksuit and you'll hear all the justifications on this thread.

If I was "threatened with violence or a syringe", no you're right I wouldn't at that point pull out my phone and ring a 1800 number. That's happened to me exactly zero times on the Red line. What I have seen is loud and threatening drunks/druggies, football played down the middle and gangs of teenagers acting aggressively.

If Veolia are encouraging people to ring and then ignoring the calls, that's another issue entirely. It sounds like another excuse to me however.

I still don't see the problem with Veolia asking people to ring them to report this, they can't have security on every LUAS.

The point being made is that even when there is security and Luas staff on the tram nothing is done. There is no issue with asking passengers to ring, but you have to question what is the point?
    If I was "threatened with violence or a syringe", no you're right I wouldn't at that point pull out my phone and ring a 1800 number. That's happened to me exactly zero times on the Red line. What I have seen is loud and threatening drunks/druggies, football played down the middle and gangs of teenagers acting aggressively.

To many people, gangs of drunks and junkies can be terrifying. Gangs of teenagers can be just as frightening. Thankfully I have not been threatened with a syringe either, but I have been on trams where gangs have assaulted passengers and Luas staff. I've seen people attacked at platforms in the city centre and seen passengers move seats or get off the tram because of the type of passenger on the tram. I certainly wouldn't class these as "small scale nuisances".

You must remember, public transport is a necessity for people. It's not like crossing a street to avoid drunks, or choosing to avoid certain areas because of trouble, people have no choice but to use the service.

If you enjoy standing up to junkies and scumbags on your way home from work then good for you. Most of us just want to get home in peace.

If you enjoy standing up to junkies and scumbags on your way home from work then good for you. Most of us just want to get home in peace.
    Ringing a phone number is not the equivalent of Jackie Chan doing his stuff. People can't on the one hand complain about anti-social behaviour on the LUAS and on the other hand say that they will have no part of play, when requested, in helping the company to combat it. There is no way Veolia can afford to have 24x7 security in every LUAS.

Ringing a phone number is not the equivalent of Jackie Chan doing his stuff. People can't on the one hand complain about anti-social behaviour on the LUAS and on the other hand say that they will have no part of play, when requested, in helping the company to combat it. There is no way Veolia can afford to have 24x7 security in every LUAS.
    i have on numerous occasions rang the veolia hotline which is only manned during office hours and a total of absolutely nothing resulted from the calls except a torrent of abuse and threats from the scumbag i was contacting them about.

it appears the cctv is fixed on points of the platforms that may be compo claim points and if it is monitored at all it is not done very well!

veolia should be monitoring the affected stops all stops and ticket machines on a regular basis throughout the day and night(every few minutes for trouble spots) and when they see beggars junkies and dealers at or near the machines just make announcements for people not to give them any money! or tell the dealers they are on camera and call the guards to the scene.

it is plain from past experience that veolia will do absolutely nothing to stop the scumbags untill there is national coverage which might cost them in takings, then like after the roma incident the security presence was overwhelming for a while but after a week it was druggie business as usual at abby street!

they now want people to put their lives on the line by making statements to the guards against the dealers vandals etc while thay the people with the duty of care to us their customers do absolutely nothing!

Advertisement