Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some help facial hair

• 05-09-2010 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all. I am new on this website and i find it very useful. i need some help though....i am 25 and i have a problem with facial hair, i started to use this "hair off" which buffs off the hair from the face but the hair started to come back in a stubble and i stupidly shaved it (yes shaved it) and since that i have done the same. i didnt known any better, just in the past while, it is annoying me! i have to shave every morning and it is driving me daft, i am too ashamed to go into a beautician. i really want to stop this but i have to do it every day or it just looks horrible, im just getting depressed over it! can anyone help me out and recommend anything i can do? any help really appreciated x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭MsHolloway

Hi, op! That must be really tough for you. Ideally you want something a bit more long lasting so you don't have to shave every day.

I would really consider going to see a beautician or such. I know you say you feel ashamed but please don't. Facial hair on women isn't as uncommon as you may believe so you can be sure the beautician will have seen it all before.

I think my knowledge is a bit limited but these are two options that I'm aware of
    1. Electrolysis - Can be costly, and you will need to let the hair grow a bit for the treatment.

2. Waxing - Again, as far as I know, you will need to let the hair grow a little bit.

But a beautician may know of better options/products that could really help you. This is upsetting you, op and making you feel bad about yourself, so I think it would be definitely worth going in and just talking to someone about it. They might be really able to help you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Froggyplait

You are definitely not the only person with this problem OP, I usually go to the beautician to get my hair waxed, please don't be ashamed, very woman I know gets it done.

When the hair starts to grow back they are so thick and dark, I bleach them until they are long enough to get waxed again, at least they don't stand out then. So, maybe instead of shaving in the mornin let the hairs grow slightly and start bleaching, i use boot's own brand of bleach.

(OH, and if it makes you feel any beter, when I was 10, I shaved my arms...I now have hairy man arms :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I've started noticing some mad crazy hair growth myself, it's all a bit crazy... thought my hormones were doing something odd, but I have to conclude it happens to most women in their mid 20s and up...

I've found the Boot own brand 'expert' facial hair removal cream to be great. It doesn't last terribly long, but it's cheap (3 something a tube and I can get 5 or so applications off a tube, each application usually lasts about 4-5 days) and because it's basically veet for your face it doesn't leave you with the stubbly kind of hairs...

Long term, I want to get some kind of electrolysis but I can't afford that right now, so this is my solution anyway.

But really, OP, don't feel weird. All my friends are starting to get these hairs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SueWho

I got my eyebrows threaded at the weekend for the first time- turned out lovely. Anyway, the girl told me she has lots of clients who go to her to get other facial hair threaded off- from upper lip, chin and cheeks/ side of face. She said that she has one client who had threading done 6 times on the side of her face and found that the hair growth had substantially reduced- the hair will still grow back but you don't need to get the threading done so often after a while.

I went to The Metro Spa on Clarendon St- I think the threading cost is around €18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fairy2010

thanks so much for all your advice, its great to know im not the only one!! i really should just go to the beautican and see what she says, im just very shy about goin in. iv had tried using facial hair removal creams but they just sting everytime.
    thank you so much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SueWho

Awh don't be embarassed- beauticians, like doctors, have seen it all before. And at the end of the day it is their job to make you feel good about yourself so you should leave feeling better than ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭katie99

Hi,

Why not have laser treatment. A friend had it done and he said it worked wonders for him.
    It is expensive and you have to have several sessions of it but it might be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I agree about the threading, I get it done for my eyebrows all the time and it's wonderful! Lasts longer than waxing usually does and hurts a lot less. Could be worth trying while you save for electrolysis or something more permanent.

Btw, I go to Mandala spa on Dawson street, I'd highly recommend them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I get my lip waxed every 4-6 weeks and had epi-pro on my chin for about 6 months to get rid of some dark hairs. I honestly would not worry, just go and have a chat at one of your local salons.

You are the the only woman with facial hair. I always joke that I can get away with not shaving my legs (honestly, bairly any leg hair) but that it falls out of my lip!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Please don't be embarrassed to see a beautician. Every one of us has something that we are ashamed of and think that no-one has ever had the same worries. Facial hair is something that beauticians are used to sorting out on a daily basis. I think that's one of the beauties of internet boards like this, you realise that you are not alone. You have got some brilliant advice from the lovely girls here:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

please don't be embarrassed, any decent beautician will be totally professional about it.

I would highly recommend threading also,I recently had my eyebrows done recently and was amazed at how much better the result was than anything else I'd tried. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 angel6

+1 on Threading.

Threading the whole face and even the neck is quite common among Middle Eastern and South Asian women as they tend to have dark hair.

You might try and give this a go as full face threading can get quite expensive.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/EpicareTM-Facial-Remover-Threading-Authentic/dp/B00116VG0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1283859078&sr=8-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭hollygirl08

Threading all the way. I get the sides of my face done. Hair was never long or dark but my face just looked kinda fluffy for want of a better expression. Best thing I ever did. I get it done once every 6 weeks and after a couple of goes the hair definitely doesn't grow back as quick. If you're Dublin based then I would recommend Bushra's Beauty Salon. It's in the Mary St Mall. Lovely girls working in there. Less expensive than other places I've tried with the same results. Please please please don't be embarrassed. They deal with this every day of the week and as I said they're lovely in there and will make you feel totally relaxed. Go for it, you'll never look back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 funemployed

Hi,

Just came across this site here about Epicare used to remove fine downy facial hairy. Very tempted to buy it!! Has anyone here used it? with the regrowth do you get stubble?

My hair fuzz is driving me mad in the sun these days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Depending on how much hair there is, how about plucking? I think the best option would be laser hair removal, as after 8 - 10 sessions the result should be permanent but maybe plucking would be an option if you don't have the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but if you are under/over weight or suffer from a hormonal imbalance treating this could really help this for good maybe just a thought to check its not that before getting any expensive treatments done :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Hi, just be careful if you go down the laser route, it has been known to induce more hair growth on womens faces in some cases. It only works on dark coarse hair as well. Electrolysis would be another option for you, it is costly and takes times but at the same time its the only permanent method of hair removal. Finding a skilled therapist is important though. Check out hairtell.com its a great forum on all methods of hair removal

• Registered Users Posts: 7 funemployed

Thanks all for your advice. Been having electrolysis for the past 3 years and very happy with the results, all the dark hairs are gone!! I just feel now that i'm left with a load of light downy hairs that no amount of electrolysis will remove. Maybe i'm just looking for perfection....

most people have this light downy hair on their faces-its vellus hair. I really wouldn't worry about it, nobody notices it

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

how does threading work?? i'v never heard of it untill now.

• Advertisement

threading is where a pure cotton thread is rolled over eyebrows sides of face, lip etc, plucking the hair at the follicle level. The main advantage is that it doesn't drag or pull at the skin like waxing so ideal for areas like the eyebrows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Op have you seen a Doctor? as you need to rule out a hormone unbalance first.

If you have and it's been ruled out then here are your options.

Lazer - Uses light to cause thermal damage to the hair follicle and can cover larger areas. costly as you will need repeat sessions.

Electrolysis -A small needle is is inserted into the hair follicle,electricity is sent down the needle into the root of the hair zapping it to prevent further growth. (timely as each hair is treated individually and expensive)

Waxing - you will need to let the hair grow slightly (as others mentioned you could bleach while waiting to get a wax done) The hair is taken from the root and will not return 2-4 weeks (but remember hair grows in different stages so you could have some hairs appear earlier)

Depilation -removes hair above the skin so only lasts a few days.

Bleaching - Make the hair lighter and less noticeable.

Shaving - removes hair above the skin so only lasts a few days.

Threading -A thin twisted cotton thread is rolled over areas of unwanted hair. The hair is removed from the root like tweezing but a bigger area is covered at a time. This will last 2 - 4 weeks.

Tropical cream -When applied to the area of unwanted hair it can slow down the hair growth, you will still need to use your normal hair removal option but over time you should notice hair removal will be needed less and less. (your Doctor will have to prescribe a tropical cream).

No need to be embarrassed OP lots of women have the same problem, you just need to find the right treatment for you.

Advertisement