Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drive in busy traffic

• 05-09-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

I have driven in city centre with my friends for a few times. I found myself using the clutch a lot in the slow traffic so the car can crawl without cutting out. Is it correct? I did try to release the clutch and just do the gas, but am always scared of cutting out. Indeed, it did happen.

How to control the car in busy traffic? THANKS.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If it's start stop traffic, then you will end up putting in the clutch a lot. It's normal enough. However if traffic is just moving slowly, it's best to keep it in gear so as to keep the car in control.

Try going to an empty car park and going really slowly in 2nd gear - you might be surprised how slow you can actually go without cutting out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

The other poster is correct. I would also add, if you are moving continuously but very, very slow you would stay on the clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

THANKS, guys.

If the traffic is moving very very slowly, should I:

1. stop (ready in 1st gear) for a little while and wait until the car in front leave me a bigger gap then I move forward?

or

2. following the car in front moving, put my foot on the clutch?

which one is better?

Each situation is slightly different. Ready the words "very, very slow" I would say creep continuously using clutch control. While keeping a safe gap, do keep up with the vehicle in front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Driving is rarely black and white. As ADIDriving says, each situation is slightly different. Using the clutch heavily in slow stop start traffic is the norm. But if second gear is required, don't be afraid to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I figured it's better to add to this one instead of making a whole new thread.

I passed my test around 3 months ago, but the one thing I struggle with occassionaly is the same as the OP, driving in heavy traffic. Mam's car is a 1.6 Golf Tdi Diesel. As Timbuk2 said I tried to see how slow I could go in second gear without it cutting out and it's around 10kmph. Any less than this and it feels juttery and could cut at any time. There's times when if I'm driving in second gear very slowly, it feels juttery and I drop to first, only to find it revs and I have to gear up again. How can I overcome this?

Also what exactly do you mean by "using the clutch heavily"? When I'm in traffic, especially in this car as opposed to the instructor's car that I learnt in, I find I'm lifting/dropping/lifting the clutch alot more. Whereas before I could let the car creep by during lessons (it was petrol). I see cars in front of me not touching the brake at all, and I'm behind them constantly slowing, accelerating, slowing..

Thanks for any help. :)

leeg17: The lower gears are more powerful and a 1.6 would be more powerful then an instructors car. But do make sure yhat you are not going too heavy on the gas?

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Also what exactly do you mean by "using the clutch heavily"? When I'm in traffic, especially in this car as opposed to the instructor's car that I learnt in, I find I'm lifting/dropping/lifting the clutch alot more. Whereas before I could let the car creep by during lessons (it was petrol). I see cars in front of me not touching the brake at all, and I'm behind them constantly slowing, accelerating, slowing..

Thanks for any help. :)

When i said "Using the clutch heavily", i just meant using it a lot, it was a poor choice of words on my part!
    The diesel will be much more eager to start off than a petrol of a similar size, so you could probably get away with just gently lifting the clutch as opposed to using both clutch and accelerator. Both engine types drive differently so it's just about getting used to the diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I find I could creep along easier in the instructor's petrol, and in my mom's diesel it powers along, even at low speeds. It's difficult to get used to, but as long as I know it's fine to be lifting/pressing/lifting the clutch more than other drivers if I need to.

If I'm in traffic and just tapping the accelerator so it doesn't cut out I find it goes too fast for the slow moving traffic and I end up pressing the clutch/brakes again.

Then again a 1.6 diesel probably isn't the best option for a first car :p

I find I could creep along easier in the instructor's petrol, and in my mom's diesel it powers along, even at low speeds. It's difficult to get used to, but as long as I know it's fine to be lifting/pressing/lifting the clutch more than other drivers if I need to.

If I'm in traffic and just tapping the accelerator so it doesn't cut out I find it goes too fast for the slow moving traffic and I end up pressing the clutch/brakes again.

Then again a 1.6 diesel probably isn't the best option for a first car :p

A 1.6 diesel is no rocket ship! Trust me!:D

It'll just take some getting used to, just ease off the clutch slowly and gently move forward, there's no need come off the clutch too quickly.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, you don't need to tap the accelerator. The car can drive be coming up on the clutch only. If you tap the gas you get too much power. But once you come off the gas all that power is gone. Before you go in heavy traffic practice coming up to your biting point with the clutch, then release the brake (either one) and come slowly higher on the clutch. The car will drive without you touching the gas.

Advertisement