Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please explain how a phone warranty works!

Options
  • 05-09-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Got a HTC legend phone in Meteor about 5 months ago. 2 months ago it stopped uploading photos to computer. Then I realised that I couldn't download anything to it either -it connects to computer to charge but that is all. In mid August the reception disappeared. Brought it back to the Meteor shop and the sales guy said it would need to be sent off for repair. My husband called it this morning to see if it was ready and was told it would cost €170 to repair!! What does 'warranty' mean????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

it probably costs 170 because they've deemed it customer damaged. they should have told you what the 170 was for. did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

My husband was so taken aback at the cost that he forgot to tell me!

your warranty covers you for repair/replacement for any manufacturing faults with the device. there shouldn't be a cost for this unless it's customer damaged / liquid damaged / etc.

give the shop a call and ask them. you'll be in a better position then. is the phone covered in dents and bumps? is the screen cracked? are the connectors full of dirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

The phone is in mint condition. It has never been near water. When we were leaving it in the guy I was dealing with also has a HTC phone. He had a similar problem with his and had to get it fixed. We were chatting about the software issues with them and he says new-ish models often have teething troubles.

call the shop then and see what they're looking for 170 for. usually the repair centre will send back details about what's wrong with it specifically and if it's customer damage very often they will include a photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

You could call HTC direct on 01 6968474

T&Cs of warranty here -

http://service.europe.htc.com/terms&conditions.pdf

But as mentioned above, it sounds like they suspect water damage or a damaged USB connector...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The phone is in mint condition. It has never been near water. When we were leaving it in the guy I was dealing with also has a HTC phone. He had a similar problem with his and had to get it fixed. We were chatting about the software issues with them and he says new-ish models often have teething troubles.

Just bare in mind, that shop has nothing to do with the repair, they simply send it away on your behalf, so they wont know what the damage is, and details etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

God, I feel like a broken record here.

There are two "warranties". One with the manufacturer and the second with the retailer. The retailer warranty comes under the sale of goods and lasts for 2 years from the date of purchase. The goods (phone in this case) has to be of merchantable quality - ie it has to do what you expect it to do for the time you'd expect it to. These are called "Your Statutory rights". With a phone I would expect it to run for at least a couple of years, fault free, provided I didn't damage it myself.

If I were you I would take it back to the retailer and ask for an exchange or fix. Its their problem to resolve it with HTC. There should be no cost impact to you.

If they want to charge you then start quoting your rights as a consumer and that the retailer is responsible, the phone was not of merchantable quality and you want your money back or a replacement.

Got a HTC legend phone in Meteor about 5 months ago. 2 months ago it stopped uploading photos to computer. Then I realised that I couldn't download anything to it either -it connects to computer to charge but that is all. In mid August the reception disappeared. Brought it back to the Meteor shop and the sales guy said it would need to be sent off for repair. My husband called it this morning to see if it was ready and was told it would cost €170 to repair!! What does 'warranty' mean????

elderlemon wrote: »
    God, I feel like a broken record here.

There are two "warranties". One with the manufacturer and the second with the retailer. The retailer warranty comes under the sale of goods and lasts for 2 years from the date of purchase. The goods (phone in this case) has to be of merchantable quality - ie it has to do what you expect it to do for the time you'd expect it to. These are called "Your Statutory rights". With a phone I would expect it to run for at least a couple of years, fault free, provided I didn't damage it myself.

If I were you I would take it back to the retailer and ask for an exchange or fix. Its their problem to resolve it with HTC. There should be no cost impact to you.

If they want to charge you then start quoting your rights as a consumer and that the retailer is responsible, the phone was not of merchantable quality and you want your money back or a replacement.

No warranty will cover a damaged USB connection or water damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭emo72

JustinOval wrote: »
    No warranty will cover a damaged USB connection or water damage.

does it not depend on why it broke? water damage? yea thats your own fault. but usb connection is part of the phone therefor covered by a the warranty?

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »
    does it not depend on why it broke? water damage? yea thats your own fault. but usb connection is part of the phone therefor covered by a the warranty?

Yeah, obviously if it failed for no apparent reason it would be covered, but not if it's damaged through use, as charger/USB connections often are.

It's in the HTC T&C's above.

Advertisement