Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are my rights with mobile phone problems?

Options
  • 05-09-2010 5:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so 5 months ago I got a Nokia E63 from three.ie.
    When I bought it, the website said it came with msn messenger pre installed.
    It did not and when I tried to download from their portal is failed every time.
    I phoned the tech support line and they sent me a replacement in the post and I sent the original back. The replacement didn't have it preinstalled either and also would not download. They told me to bring it to a walk in repair center. however, this isn't an option, I live in Athlone, nearest is dublin and you have to have it in the shop before 11am to get it back at 5pm, which was never really something I could do as I don't go to dublin very regularly and when I do I generally need a fecking phone!

Now, I decided to ignore this issue and just use the phone for the other features, the full keyboard, free skype, etc.

Then, last night, I take my phone out of my pocket to check a text and the ****ing keypad won't unlock. not just that, but the only button that responds at all is the disconnect (red) button. no other key does ANYTHING, not even break the screensaver and tell me to unlock keypad.

Now, I was sitting down with the phone in my pocket, it worked no more than half an hour before that and then suddenly isn't working. I go home, take the battery out, take the sim out and leave them on my desk overnight. put it back together and same deal, only the disconnect button does anything.

So I am basically phoneless.
    I phone 3 and how the **** do I fix it and they say they will send me out a pack, which will take 3-5 days. I then have to send this back to them and wait for it to be repaired and sent back to me, which could take a total of 17 days. So I will be without a phone for over 2 weeks.

I have googled the problem and I come across a post on nokia's support site from june2009 with several posts of the exact same complaint. So I inform the CS agent that there is a known defect on the phone and I'd like a replacement, as I cannot be expected to be without a phone for over 2 weeks and still pay my contract. She refuses and then has the cheek to tell me I am due an upgrade and asks me if i would be interested in renewing my contract!

What are my legal rights here? If there is a defect which is known + the false advertisement on the website, do I have a right to a replacement?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i've moved your thread to consumer issues. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Drop it into the 3 store in Athlone, they will send it for repair for you and give you a loan phone while it is gone. If you give it into them tomorrow you should have it back next Monday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Walkman wrote: »
    Drop it into the 3 store in Athlone, they will send it for repair for you and give you a loan phone while it is gone. If you give it into them tomorrow you should have it back next Monday

Thanks for the advice!

Went into the 3 Shop in Athlone, said they couldn't help me as it was bought online. What a load of sh*te.

Went into Nokia centre in Galway, phone still has 18 months on warranty and will be covered for free provided it's not water damage, which it isn't.

Thank's for nothing 3.
    My contract ends on october 4th and I garuntee I will be in a meteor/o2/vodafone shop at 9am that morning porting to their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

if you are on bill pay, make sure you give 3, 1 months notice before ur contract ends.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    if you are on bill pay, make sure you give 3, 1 months notice before ur contract ends.

Cheers!

Advertisement