Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike to work scheme.

• 05-09-2010 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

Is the cycle/bike to work scheme better here or in the UK??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

depends which country you live in;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Theoretically, as I am subject to PAYE in both countries, I could participate in both schemes. The commute to London would be challenging though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Beasty wrote: »
    The commute to London would be challenging though!
    Do the UK scheme rules allow only "full" commutes rather than "partial" commutes as they specify here?

I mean, could you not buy a UK bike to get you to/from your house to/from the air/sea port?
    :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The main differences are the UK limit is slightly higher (£1k v €1k in Ireland), and under the UK scheme the employer retains ownership of the bike, whereas in Ireland the employee takes ownership immediately. Of course the tax benefits are driven by your marginal tax rates (tax, social security, levy) in the relevant country.

Partial commutes are fine. Both schemes require the intention to use the bike "mainly" for commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Partial commutes are fine. Both schemes require the intention to use the bike "mainly" for commuting.
    But its impossible to police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

The main differences are the UK limit is slightly higher (£1k v €1k in Ireland), and under the UK scheme the employer retains ownership of the bike, whereas in Ireland the employee takes ownership immediately. Of course the tax benefits are driven by your marginal tax rates (tax, social security, levy) in the relevant country.

So basically, work out on which scheme you would be better off on based on said tax, social security and levy and go with that??

Are bikes not slightly better value in the UK tho?? I'm thinking of going with a Cannondale hybrid.

mike12 wrote: »
    But its impossible to police.
    It's primarily down to employers to "police" it. Most employers will simply take the employee's word on what their intention is/was. But I, for one, would not be prepared to sign a declaration that my intention was to use a bike mainly for commuting if that was not my intention.

@Madame Razz (can't quote properly from phone). Work out where you work! If in Ireland and you are subject to Irish PAYE you can only use the Irish scheme, unless you are also employed in the UK. Your employer can buy the bike from the UK or Ireland (including mail order) or wherever they like. That is down to them.

Advertisement