Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Routers

• 05-09-2010 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have a D-link 655 and a Cisco EPC2425 on the same network.

As I use UPC, the Cisco router is the one with direct internet connection. I have the D-link Dir-655 behind it because it offers better wireless connectivity (3 v 1 antenna wise) and QoS, do a lot of streaming, downloading/uploading, gaming...etc and it works like a beauty.

The problem is with DMZ. I can successfully open a port on any computer on the D-link/Cisco network. Am having problems with my Xbox Live connection so figured I might as well set it to DMZ to rule out any port issues, heres where the problem is.

Now I can set my Xbox 360 to DMZ on the D-Link, but as it isn't the direct connection to internet, it's not actually doing anything as it's still behind Cisco router. This wouldn't be a problem if my D-Link router was on the same Subnet as my Cisco, but it isn't.

For some reason my D-Link router receives a DHCP assigned ip 192.168.1.11 (Static WAN)

But then it seems to create its own, 192.168.0.1 for LAN

I have tried to manually changing the IP to 192.168.1.11, disabling DHCP on Cisco (stopping conflicting IPs ) but that stops me from connecting to the internet through my D-Link router.

Because now for some reason it no longer receives an IP address. The Log entry...

The addressing of the Internet side learnt thru DHCP conflicts with the addressing selected for the LAN side. Internet communications will be disabled until you have changed the LAN side addressing to resolve the problem

What does that mean?

Pretty sure I need to stop it from creating a different LAN, but how do I do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You cannot have both wan and lan in the same subnet, it just won't work. You need to get the Cisco into bridge mode (if possible) where it gives the Dlink your public ip and the dlink handles all routing. As it is You're routing twice, hence the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭KeithM23

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You cannot have both wan and lan in the same subnet, it just won't work. You need to get the Cisco into bridge mode (if possible) where it gives the Dlink your public ip and the dlink handles all routing. As it is You're routing twice, hence the problem.

As you hinted to, it's not possible. Rang UPC and said they don't have that functionality.

No other way possible to fix this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Do you have the option of changing to a router that DOES have that option?

Well I do and I don't.

I would be able to buy a cable moderm but UPC supposedly do not allow you to use anything beside their equipment so if I were to experience problems beyond my reach I believe they would immediately blame the foreign equipment, regardless.

Always had this as an option but just wanted to make it last choice as I just feel it will lead to future complications.

Would putting th D-Link router on DMZ (On Cisco) and the Xbox on DMZ (On D-Link) work?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

You don't have the option to change router from UPC unfortunately. Their cisco unit is provisioned by them with a Mac address.

Have u tried disabling wireless on the cisco and let the d-link handle the wireless connectivity?

• Advertisement

I have disabled the Cisco Wireless Connectivity now but does that really change anything?

Nothing was ever using it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Are your UPC router and your Xbox near each other?

I'm asking because I have a similarish setup. For convoluted reasons I've a second router plugged into my UPC router. The UPC router is near the TV and Xbox so I've plugged the Xbox into the UPC router and then the second router is just using a second port on the UPC box.

I'm not able to plug the Xbox into the second router to test for you to see if I have the same probs as it's far away from the UPC box.

I have sky so my UPC router is in my corridor, bad signal all around the house so I rehooked my D-Link router using the only long enough ethernet cable I have, which is 20m CAT 6, then I connected my Xbox to my d-link using a much smaller ethernet cable.

So kind of like this.

UPC Cisco -- D-Link -- Xbox 360

All through ethernet cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

KeithM23 wrote: »
    As you hinted to, it's not possible. Rang UPC and said they don't have that functionality.

No other way possible to fix this?
    By functionality you talking about bridge mode. Someone on boards.ie already posted about not finding the option to enable bridge mode on the cisco(on some new firmware) but found out if you go here you can do so http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp

JonB wrote: »
    By functionality you talking about bridge mode. Someone on boards.ie already posted about not finding the option to enable bridge mode on the cisco(on some new firmware) but found out if you go here you can do so http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp

TY a lot, problem solved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

KeithM23 wrote: »
    TY a lot, problem solved

just means u cant use upc phone.. if u have it that is.

Advertisement