Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Regiments

• 05-09-2010 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Looking for a little bit of help. I am trace a list of British Army regiments that served in India, Boer War, and Canada from around 1890 - 1910.

Would anybody know where I could find a list of the regiments, and also possibly, a list of the personnel from these regiments?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Drop an E mail to the Imperial War Museum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Clauric wrote: »
    Hi all.

Looking for a little bit of help. I am trace a list of British Army regiments that served in India, Boer War, and Canada from around 1890 - 1910.

Would anybody know where I could find a list of the regiments, and also possibly, a list of the personnel from these regiments?

Many thanks.

here is a link to a good boer war site that i have found useful and you might find more help on the links page. http://www.angloboerwar.com/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Inniskilling Fusiliers fought at Tugela Hill as part of the Relief of Ladysmith. (My Great Grandfather was seriously injured in the battle, but as 75% of the 1st Battalion were killed or injured, it is hardly surprising)

The Inniskilling Fusiliers have a regimental museum at Enniskillen Castle. you might be able to get some info from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

The Inniskilling Fusiliers fought at Tugela Hill as part of the Relief of Ladysmith. (My Great Grandfather was seriously injured in the battle, but as 75% of the 1st Battalion were killed or injured, it is hardly surprising)

The Inniskilling Fusiliers have a regimental museum at Enniskillen Castle. you might be able to get some info from them.

here is the casuality list for the "Skins" in the Boer War http://www.angloboerwar.com/units%20imperial/inniskilling_fus_cas.htm . your G Grandfather may be mentioned in "The Inniskilling Daries 1899-1902".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

here is the casuality list for the "Skins" in the Boer War http://www.angloboerwar.com/units%20imperial/inniskilling_fus_cas.htm . your G Grandfather may be mentioned in "The Inniskilling Daries 1899-1902".

He is indeed. Injured on the 23/2/00 on St Pieter's Hill. Thanks for that, very interesting site.

BTW, he was English, not Irish. The 1st Battalion was based in Portsmouth for a number of years before going to South Africa via India (I believe).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Slightly OT, but I have a 1897 DWM Mauser 7x57 carbine - one of 2000 made that year for the ZAR.

It was shipped out that same year, and ended up in the possession of Pieter Huijsen, a Boer miner from Klippsdorf. Like many Boers did, he carved his name on the stock.

He was taken prisoner after the Battle of Korannafontein in May 1901 and I am now the owner of his old gun.

If anybody would like to see pics of it, please PM me so we can arrange an e-mail image exchange.

tac

Advertisement