Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you eat it?

Options
  • 05-09-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

Within some Indigenous cultures, there is a long tradition of eating foods that many contemporary people would recoil from; in some communities, people still make puppy soup, roasted bear, or roasted prairie dog. I got to thinking about this question after reading through the "Foods you can't eat" thread and I was wondering what would you do if you were welcomed into someone's home or community and offered some regional delicacy. Would you eat it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hamchops

needs must

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Probably :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Realllly depends on the situation.
    Other cultures may eat what they like, and I won't be rude but I might decline certain foods. In Cambodia I refused to eat the chicken or beef, because well I don't like meat anyway but the way it was cooked was just extremely unappetising. I refused lizard & turtle, again, not a fan of meat, if I was a big fan I might have given it ago. I will admit to having tried dried deer, but that was less meaty, more chewy jerky type stuff.
    We were invited into houses & they usually offered fruit thankfully, so that was easy to accept :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I was watching "Bizarre Foods" and they went to a restaurant that served only animal... uhm... male reproductive parts. There was snake, bull, and all these other varities. I'd like to think that my own cultural background would allow for me to be willing to eat anything - I grew up eating chitlins and gizzards - but I think I would draw the line at that.

Here's a clip from the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc0KV3NvmNw

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I like trying strange meats, but I keep it limited to animals with substance, kangaroo, bison etc, people resorting to eating rats and pests are not doing so because of the meat yield or flavour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'll try anything. Meat is meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Cant knock it till you've tried it. Would give anything ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I would also try anything if it was offered to me. I like to taste anything edible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Rodents, eat anything else but no guinea pigs, rats, mice etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I would generally try anything as long as it was cooked well enough as to not make me ill. How else would you find out what you like and dislike other than trying things?

• Advertisement
Advertisement