Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Eircom support for Mac users

• 05-09-2010 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭

My 7mb connection keeps dropping to below 2mb. Eircom insist that I have to go their "troubleshooting procedure" before they will check the exchange, line etc.

But Broadband support have said that they can't troubleshoot if you use a Mac !. I was told that I would have to get a PC !. This is so ridiculous it's comical !.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

OS is irrelevent as it's Ethernet and no drivers are installed.

Send them screen shots of your router config & status / Line Stats pages from your browser.

That shows the "PC" is correct.

Dropping speed but connectivity is nothing to do with "PC" anyway.

Unplug all phones, fax, other gadgets, sky boxes etc so only DSL modem is plugged in as see if it still happens.

Type of OS is only relevent with USB "dongles"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You know this & I know this but Eircom insist that they have to go through their procedure. Even the lad in Mumbai admitted that it was bonkers but he has to follow the script.

It is clearly a contention issue & gets worse at peak times. I was criticised here before for using the word Eircon. If someone charges you for 20 litres of fuel but gives you 5 litres - it would be a con. When Eircom charge you for 7 mb & give you 1 mb it is contention !.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Discodog wrote: »
    You know this & I know this but Eircom insist that they have to go through their procedure. Even the lad in Mumbai admitted that it was bonkers but he has to follow the script.

It is clearly a contention issue & gets worse at peak times. I was criticised here before for using the word Eircon. If someone charges you for 20 litres of fuel but gives you 5 litres - it would be a con. When Eircom charge you for 7 mb & give you 1 mb it is contention !.

They charge you for "up to". No dsl provider could guarantee a definite speed due to the variables involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They supply a contended service, at 48:1 if You're on the 7mbit package
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contention_ratio

As long as You're getting 149k peak they've fulfilled their part of the agreement, broadband is a shared resource. 1mbit uncontended is about €150 per month

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What exchange ?? I hear some exchanges east of the City are badly contended especially towards the north east along the Roscommon road, Oranmore was last year but they sorted it.

• Advertisement

Contention is 1:24. It's a great system as they don't have to specify a minimum. So what is the definition of broadband & what is to stop a supplier giving you 7mb for one hour & less than 1 mb for 23 hours ?.

Contention is 1:24. It's a great system as they don't have to specify a minimum. So what is the definition of broadband & what is to stop a supplier giving you 7mb for one hour & less than 1 mb for 23 hours ?.

Contention on the 7.6mbit package is 24:1, the 7mbit package is 48:1, same as the 3mbit package. The 7.6mbit isn't offered anymore, I'm still on it from ages ago after the last upgrades, all thats offered now is the 7mbit one

Yet another Eircom lie ?. I have it in writing that I am on 24:1

"Also you are on the broadband home advanced package which is 'up to 7mb' and has a contention ratio of 24:1."

Yet another Eircom lie ?. I have it in writing that I am on 24:1

"Also you are on the broadband home advanced package which is 'up to 7mb' and has a contention ratio of 24:1."

What are your line stats? Are you using ethernet or wireless?

Line stats ?. I have switched between Ethernet & wireless, it makes no difference. I guess that it is a simple case that a few people have started streaming video & using up the bandwidth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm confused, Eircom's website says:
    What versions of Apple Macintosh are currently supported?

Macintosh Versions OS 8.x & 9.x are currently supported. However if you are using the Alcatel USB modem you will need Apple Macintosh OS 8.6 and OS 9.

Macintosh OS-X 10.2.x upwards is also supported and does have its own built in PPPoE software which can be configured.

Macintosh versions 8.1 and 8.5 may have problems connecting but this can be overcome by upgrading the Open Transport. You must reinstall the eircom broadband software after any Open Transport Upgrade.

Last updated: 26 August 2003

If they are going to change their support policy they may want to update their website first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Eircom do support mac, just only so far, it is limited. If your DSL light is off or flashing it matters not what OS you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Thats complete bull :mad::mad:
    OS has nothing to do with the connection its their problem and they wont accept that it is they are a disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Line stats ?. ........

your router will give some readings of the line such as speeds / snr margin / attenutaion etc

these will give a good indication of a few things that people here might then be able to help with

you will need the ip address of the router first
    if you are using the eircom netopia router it should be 192.168.1.254

open safari & type that address in the address bar & you should be able to access the router config

it might be a page like this - http://www.celticsnipers.com/misc/natguide/natguide-netopia-01.jpg

if so you can see the speed (left) & attenuation (right) on this page

I think you might need to go into expert to get the full dsl line stats
    I dont use this router so someone else might be able to give more info on where the stats are

also - make sure you have the router connected to the FIRST phone socket in your house

connect a filter to the socket, the router & one phone to the filter
    do not use any phone extension leads
    if you have other sockets disconnect everything especially sky boxes

run a speedtest on speedtest.net while the mac is connected through ethernet

post up a much info as you can here

router make & model
    line /sync speed, both down & upstream
    snr margin , both down & upstream
    attenuation, both down & upstream
    result of speedtest

Great news. Just spent an hour on the phone with a real Eircom technician. He says that is not contention but admitted that they haven't got a clue as to what is causing it. Average of 1.28 tonight & at 8am it will be back to 6. Mr engineer assured me that at the time of talking I was the ONLY one connected !.

Great news. Just spent an hour on the phone with a real Eircom technician. He says that is not contention but admitted that they haven't got a clue as to what is causing it. Average of 1.28 tonight & at 8am it will be back to 6. Mr engineer assured me that at the time of talking I was the ONLY one connected !.

And what about giving us your line stats?

7168/384 (kbps)

24/13 dB

They have referred it back to the engineers at the exchange. He was adamant that on a 7mb connection my speed should not drop below 3 at any time (I wish that I had recorded him),

He could see that there was something seriously wrong. I am getting 6 now & it was 1.2 last night. It had them totally baffled as it shows all the symptoms of contention but they are adamant that it is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Just a thought: Eircom's NGB ad states that the broadband is uncontended and 'won't slow down'..........and then says it's UP TO blah blah.:rolleyes::D

Eircom have been told to change their ads & not use the word "fast". I think that they should be banned from using the word "reliable" as well.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Just a thought: Eircom's NGB ad states that the broadband is uncontended and 'won't slow down'..........and then says it's UP TO blah blah.:rolleyes::D

Because the further from the exchange You are the less chance You have of getting the full speed on Your line, after 3 miles You'll be lucky to get 1mbit......which is upto 8mbit :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement