Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paediatrics - Training/opportunities here, UK, Oz?

Options
  • 05-09-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

I know a lot has been said about opportunities in Ireland vs the UK already, but I'm keen to know about Paeds in particular. I know there's a few paediatricians on this forum and I'd love to hear from them if possible.

My situation:
    I'm a final year med student. I've done my Paeds rotation and loved it. It was my best exam result of any clinical rotation. I did an elective in it this summer (in Ireland) and I'm going to try do another one this winter, although I may have left it too late (I originally wanted to do a GP elective). Every bone in my body is telling me to become a paediatrician, although a part of me keeps reminding me that primary care is the future.

So...

What are job opportunities like in Ireland for paediatricians? Is it as bad as everything else, and do I basically have a 0% chance of ever being a consultant in this country?

Where is the best place to train? The UK seems to have a longer training path than here, but can anyone tell me how it compares overall? How about Australia? I'm really looking for personal experiences I guess, since I can look up the websites myself.

Lastly, is there anything I can do to boost my chances of getting on a training programme? I have a 1st in my paeds exam, I've done an elective (clinical only, no research) for 4 weeks and gotten a great reference, and I intend at least applying for an intern job in paeds for next year, even if I probably won't get one. Anything else I could/should be doing?

Thanks for any help people can give me.

Comments

Advertisement