Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Superb or BMW 520d?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

are there much savings to be made on the 5 series if you import a new one from the north? the VRT is only 16% on the 520d due to the low emissions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

on a sidenot, what do you want to be seen driving in a brand new beemer or skoda? Id day the beemer will put alot bigger smile on your face, plus Ireland being Ireland, you will have for more begrudgers! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Idbatterim wrote: »
    are there much savings to be made on the 5 series if you import a new one from the north? the VRT is only 16% on the 520d due to the low emissions...
    Zero savings. I've done the maths based on a BMW dealer offering a straight deal price on a new 520d of £27,000. BMW have it priced on the button here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

R.O.R wrote: »
    Probably best not to mention the €38,500 Superb I've on order for January then............

not+listening.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

galwaytt wrote: »
    It sure is ugly, no doubt about it. But hold on, when Bangle & Co launched the flame edge styling, everyone said the same thing about BeeEmm's: now all of a sudden it's a design classic ? Indeed it is, but it took 10 yrs of evolution, and the un-Bangling of a lot of it, to get there.....
    E39 FTW! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The Superb really is hideous, I've yet to see it from any angle where it didn't look like a cut and shut.

The day you collect the car the money side of things is over, and you are left with ownership, for that I would have the BMW in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Would be the 5 for me and yes I'm a brand snob but to me a Superb does not suggest executive car in any way.

The 5 is top of it's class for a reason and no Skoda come anywhere near it bar maybe having a better spec which is not the be all and end all.

At the end of the day I know which one I would prefer to step out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

The Superb really is hideous

Solution for that is to get the estate, actually just saw my first one this morning and it's much better looking than the hatchoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mark82

There is more than just the 9k difference to think of, some people have mentioned the resale value but you also have to consider the cost of money if you are borrowing.

If you borrow the EUR9k over 5years, at 7% per annum, thats approx EUR3k extra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

mailforkev wrote: »
    Solution for that is to get the estate, actually just saw my first one this morning and it's much better looking than the hatchoon.

I was just gonna say that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

I had the estate version last week with cream leather seats and 170HP engine and manual gearbox.I think the price for this particular model was around 33K.It certainly looks much better than the saloon model and IMO better looking than an E class estate.The front suspension on very undulating country roads is a little soft,but on the motorways it really scores.As to whether the 5 series is worth an extra 12K over this model,it is a matter of what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭what recession?

Definitely go for the 5-series. Has the price of Superbs actually gone down much given the current economic situation? I don't think so. If you can get a Superb from 25k as someone said, and you're paying 35k then it'll be worth 25k or less as soon as you start the engine and leave the garage! At least at 44k with the 5-series, you're probably getting one of the lower priced/spec ones so it may actually hold its value. Also, 5 series have gone down a LOT in recent years along with the e-class etc. My E200 was around 60-62k in 2006 if I recall so I assume 520's were the same. You can get one for mid-40k's now brand new. You wouldn't have gotten a 5-series for that before, you could always have gotten a Superb for 35k. If you can, just go for the 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Definitely go for the 5-series. Has the price of Superbs actually gone down much given the current economic situation? I don't think so.

Skoda dropped the price on the Elegance range by about 5k and upped the spec (full leather, satnav, park assist etc) late last year, so in reality dropped the price by about 7k.

OP, the question you should ask yourself is:
    would you ever step out of a 5er and say to yourself "I should have bought a Skoda" ? :D

Advertisement