Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where were you on September 11th 2001?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

i was in mrs stacks Irish class in templeogue college when i first heard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i was in school didnt know what happend till i got home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

We had just left Dublin port on the Seacat fast ferry to liverpool of which I was a crew member and it was about an hr out in the Irsh sea on that warm sunny september afternoon , when the captain announced that a plane had crashed into the WTC .But with no television service on board the ship everybody just assumed a tragic terrible accident had happened , although some individuals may have had lap top internet connection and heard the ongoing developments there .When he announced the 2nd plane had crashed into the WTC we knew something terrible was going on in the world ( with visions of nukes criss crossing the planet ). On arrival in Liverpool another crew member drove me home and she and I were discussing the events which up till then were pretty sketchy ,then arriving in the door at 7pm and seeing the sky news ongoing reports .
    Hard to believe it's 9 years ago already .

Edit-Have just rememberd a couple from liverpool who had being on holiday in NYC and had just left the WTC 20 minutes before first plane crash .They had got caught up in the whole horror and were part of the crowd in Manhatten looking up from were ground zero would be .The next day the Liverpol echo had their photos on front page , with them covered head to toe in dust .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I was in Kuala Lumpur, working in a call centre on an afternoon to evening shift when it took place. It was a Tuesday evening there (KL being 8 hours ahead of Dublin, and 13 hours ahead of US time). It was a shift that was dragging out somewhat, what with Tuesday being the quietest day of the week. At 9:50pm, consternation flew through the office, when news came over the Internet, and immediately, everyone switched to BBC News on Internet, CNN on one TV, in another room BBC News 24.

Most of the clients then were American, so I diverted the calls to mobile phones, then said...."theres going to be damn all happening for the next two days". My boss then said...."Well, we may as well just give you tomorrow off, and we'll review things Thursday". I figured, well heck, if theres going to be a Third World War, I may as well get pissed and/or get laid. Went to the ATM machine to get cash, and that was not working. That night, not one ATM machine in Kuala Lumpur worked, including the old reliable HSBC in the city centre. That meant going to Bala (Indian bar owner), and asking him for credit for the bar tab, leaving Pounds Sterling as collateral.

Within 15 minutes, a whole gang of us were in a pub nearby the office looking at the carnage. Everyone was glued to the Television drinking beer, chain smoking, and trying to contact families and friends where appropriate. We were there until 4am in the morning, by which time, most were looking at the political ramifications of this, and ....getting it wrong. I had missed the collapse of the first tower, but saw the second collapse, and just felt empty.....shocked.

Kuala Lumpur was locked down, with police checkpoints everywhere. For a week, people were in shock. Truly a horrific example of mans inhumanity to man.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

I was only 9 at the time and just remember my mam picking me up and trying to get home quickly to find out about what had happened. I didn't have a clue about anything so was oblivious to everything going on. I remember going to a mass in the local church as well which was so sad because it was a few days later, everybody knew exactly what happened and there were pictures up all around the church of the people that had died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I was in Manhattan. Crazy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I had just started 3rd year in secondary school.On the way home in the car my mam told me, then I spent the rest of the day watching Sky News.

Here's what I posted on boards that evening:
    This is serious sh1t, I think a war in which America cannot win has been started. To think, all some1 has to do is go on a plane, wth a weapon, as small as a knife could do that.....and as far as we know, it wasn't done by a particular country so Georgie won't know who to kill. As I'v been saying for the last year, that hillbilly is going to seiously fUUk up the world before his term is out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 tony 2 eyes

laying bricks on a site in limerick, i remember it was a beutiful day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Heres the thread 'as it happened'
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30985

Amazing stuff

I remember NOT getting picked up from school by my mam - i was so pissed off and too young to realise what had happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Swan Centre, D6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

jujibee wrote: »
    I was in Manhattan. Crazy day.

Tell us more?

Would like to hear your account of the events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I had just started 6th year and was in a history class. Our history teacher liked his jokes but I thought it was a joke he had taken too far..until I was on the bus home and it was all over the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Just got home from primary school, was busy plagiarising a project on bananas off encarta. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Mr. Copelands Business Studies class. The only room in the school with a permanent tv. We spent the class watching it. Sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I had just looked at a house, it was a fabulous sunny day! I was terrified of the prospect of being tied down and trapped in a mortgage for the rest of my life!

I was in a large electrical store looking at the prices of washing machines, dryers, dishwashers and toasters and getting even more stressed about money!

I was eyeing up the "new" flat screen TVs that cost a fortune at the time and then saw the first plane hit.. I was only half watching it and was expecting to see Stallone, Arnie or Bruce Willis appear! Needless to say they didn't and shortly after the second plane hit!

I drove home listening to the radio and I thought, Fcuk what have I got to be stressed about? All those poor people in the towers! RIP

I bought the house the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

on honeymoon in mexico was geting ready to go swim with dolphens,we flew home on the thursday scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I had just walked in the door from school and looked over at the tv just as the second plane hit the towers.

Reading the "as it happened" thread above is pretty weird now in hindsight with people being misinformed by Sky etc saying 40000 are dead/bombs in the White House:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

KeithM89 wrote: »

Amazing stuff

love the third post
    hope peeps r ok.

yeah bro sure they were grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Just back from honeymoon had the day off the new wife was at work and was dossing around getting a Sambo when I heard of the first strike and thought it was a small plane. Headed to DID as I was thinking of getting a new TV and stood with a crowd watching live as the second plane hit. Went home then as I knew this was going to change things big time. Was also my late Dads birthday and he was freaked and collapsed later that evening when we all got together. He was ok but was I'll at the time so it sticks with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

reading that old thread is very eerie and brings it all back...

sad sad day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

KeithM89 wrote: »

Amazing stuff

I remember NOT getting picked up from school by my mam - i was so pissed off and too young to realise what had happened

Just read the first few pages of that thread out of curiosity but it's actually upsetting reading it. Kinda made me realise how many things have changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

was on holiday in portugal. remember being in an irish bar that afternoon
    watching sky news. people coming in from the beach asking what was going on . real somber mood in the resort.
    going to the airport a week later and the army was everwhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Tell us more?

Would like to hear your account of the events.

I was in Manhattan on a business trip. I was supposed to fly from NY to DC at around noon that day so had checked out of the hotel and was at the office trying to get geared up for the day when the first plane crashed. Everyone thought it was a small 2 person plane or something and were not too concerned.

Then the second plane crashed and we realized it was on purpose. There was a finance office on the ground floor that had the huge ticker tvs for the stock market so we all went down to watch the news there. One of the women in the office had a cousin on the 90th floor and when the building collapsed she fainted so we had to carry her back upstairs. Luckily, he called an hour later to say that he had worked late the night before and so had not gone to work that day.

Our boss was a bit of a workaholic and said that since all the buses and trains were stopped anyway we might as well stay and get some work done so we did not end up leaving the office until around 3 pm. I walked out of the office and we were right next to the 59th street bridge on 5th avenue. You could see the smoke billowing up where the towers had been and there was this eerily quiet army of people walking up 5th avenue to get to the bridge as it was one of the few that were open. It was the creepiest thing as everyone was covered head to toe in dust and stuff from the collapse but no one was talking. It was like an army of zombies, everyone was just in shock.

The next day the boss made me go in and work "since I was stuck in NY anyway" and it was so quiet. NY is always busy but the only sounds were of fighter jets patrolling the city. And then that day the wind shifted. The wind had been to the south blowing the smoke away from the city but it shifted and started blowing north. You would walk outside and in seconds your hair and your clothes smelled like a mix of electical fire and pig roast. I don't think I will ever forget that smell.

I finally got home several days later after my extended stay and the boss in my usuall office booked a flight right away for me to go back and finish the DC portion of the trip. I never used to be afraid of flying but on that trip I was shaking. After a while I got over it but there are certain smells and sounds that still freak me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I was living in the US at the time on the West Coast. Very interesting to see the people of the US come together and help each other out.
    Know a few people who had loved ones and friends die on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

In hospital with my very pregnant wife on our very difficult first pregnancy. She barely got out of hospital for more than a couple of days in the next six weeks. The obs was a little Iraqi woman who we used to say worked for saddam as a torturer!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hard to follow that one.

I was working in a phone shop with a telly in the corner showing sky news 24/7.

Just after lunch there were this foreign couple standing in front of the telly. Suddenly the girl left out a whail. We went over and saw a replay of the 1st plane hitting. Then the second. We stayed there all day just glued to the TV. Nobody actually bought anything for the rest of the day and I think we didn't bother doing the till till the following morning.

Spent the whole night watching sky and bbc 24 over and over again. The miss information at the time was amazing when you look back.

It was days before the possible death toll was reduced from 30,000+.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I was six i can't remember it all i can remember is my mother telling me that they had been hit and collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I was playing a round of golf with my friend. There was no-one on the course and I had my phone switched off in my bag. At the end of the round I turned it on to ring my parents for a lift home.
    I remember the phone started buzzing with all the incoming text messages. I read the first one and it went something like this: "Terrorists have flown 2 planes into the twin towers. 50,000 people are dead". I scrolled down to see what the punchline to this text joke was. Then I read the other messages and realised it wasn't a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

In work. We didn't have a tv or radio. We heard a plane had hit the twin towers but we just commented that there could be a lot of casualties in an accident like that and got on with work. On the way home I heard the White House and DC were under attack. My brother lives in DC. My other brother was flying from NY to DC to see my brother the day before, but we weren't sure which day he was actually traveling. It took us a day and a half to finally make contact with them. The phone lines and communication networks were all down. We kept getting connected to other people's phone calls. My mum was crazy with worry. I cant imagine what it was like for the people who never heard from their loved ones again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I was there. On my way to work. Got covered head to toe in dust from the rubble.

Will never forget it.

Advertisement