Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where were you on September 11th 2001?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

That's the day i came to Ireland; can never forget that day :D

Heathrow airport buzzing with Police and Army defence, flights to the US cancelled, everyone panicking....
    I was only 16 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Had gotten out of school cos we had hurling training, so was pucking around a ball when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

In Holland working for KLM. Got home and my then wife rushed out saying OMG come look at this. We were sitting watching as the second plane went in. Knew then that it wasn't an accident.
    I guessed that Bin Laden was involved, some magazine had done an article on him and the threat he posed not long before.
    I also predicted that my industry was gonna face tough times and I would loose my job and boy was I right. Recovery is still a long way off:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Was on my lunch break during a stint working abroad. The waitress came out and told us what had happened - like others I pictured a small aircraft, thought it funny and went back to my lunch. By the time we got back to work, all evening appointments had been cancelled and someone had hooked up BBC world. We were there til midnight. One colleague lost a cousin in the attack, another lost a close friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Trying to calm my Dad down as he had just been treated like crap by a consultant in Beaumont hospital.

He arrived home, walked in and slammed it door shut, mumbled something to himself about how doctor's were some men, getting paid a fortune and yet couldn't pay a bit of interest to his pain symptoms.

He grabbed the Dogs lead and said he was gonna take him for a walk.

I said: "Dad, some plane or something smashed into a building in New York".

He said: "I couldn't give a fuck if the whole place fell down".

Fair enough so :pac:
    My dad was the same! Seen it, went out to the garage and got back to work, not a care in the world.:pac:
    Mam on the other hand was freaking out, saying WW3 was going to happen.:confused:

I was in school at the time anyway, don't remember much, don't think my 9 year old little mind really had a clue what was happening.
    For the next week in school it was all drawing pictures and writing letters to send to NY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Was in hospital getting diagnosed with MS on 9/11, I quickly realised that there were many people in worse **** than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't understand why people always ask this :confused:
    Mister men wrote: »
    What's with the 9/11 obsession?

I think it's an interesting question. On the one hand you have this once in a lifetime event that really did shock everyone. But I think the real beauty of a thread like this is that it gives a glimpse of what others were doing on an ordinary day.

Like if you asked everyone where they were on some other memorable day like new years eve or christmas day then you'd get a lot of similar answers. But this is the one day that nobody expected to be eventful but was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I was in religion class in 2nd year of school when it happened-only found out at like 4pm when I got home and my mum called me. Remember watching all the footage and turning over to MTV to get a break from it but MTV was telling people to turn over to Sky News!

The weirdest part was that none of the teachers acknowledged it the next day in school...like they thought discussing it would upset us or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I remember I was at home. It was a couple of weeks before I was due to start college, so I was being a lazy student and all that.

I flicked on Sky News just a few minutes before the second plane hit. I think I remember the presenter thinking that the live footage of the second plane hitting was a replay of the first, before it dawned that it was actually another plane.

Practically didn't leave the couch for the rest of the day.

edit - I also remember telling my Dad who arrived home from the shops shortly after. He couldn't believe it, but he very matter of factly declared that 'this will be war, the Americans will not stand for this'. It was a weirdly scary time though, because no one knew right then when it was going to end, nor what the response would be, or how quickly or slowly that response would come, or what form it would take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

It was the day after my debs, I had the horrors. Went out for a pack of smokes and came back to see the second plane had hit.
    That's when I go the Nokia 3210 out to text the bro to make sure he was ok, he was working in Manhattan at the time but not a bother on him, he hadn't left Yonkers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Was in 3rd year Graphic Communication class, I remember the teacher telling us that this is one of the most significant moments in our lifetime and not really realising it at the time... Went home and sat mesmerised in front of Sky News all day...

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Had just started in 6th class in primary school and heard it when i came out of school that day and can remember watching the news for the rest of the day.

I think people will always remember what they were doing that so because it was such a tradegy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I was 25 at the time. I was sitting at home watching Oprah Winfrey on RTE 1 when it was interrupted by a news flash. I wondered why there was a need for a news flash as I thought a private plane with a couple of people on board had crashed.

I went for a walk a while later and had a look at CDs in the record shop. There was breaking news about 9/11 on the radio in the shop. They didn't call it 9/11 at the time though. It was just plain old September the eleventh back then.

I remember I was wearing a new t-shirt that day. I don't have the t-shirt anymore. I wonder what happened to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I was only nine at the time, but the main thing I remember is watching it on Sky News in the kitchen with my mum, and my mum telling me "You'll always remember where you were when you heard about this." And I do remember!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Was in the lobby of the South African embassy up by St, Stephens Green, remember saying to the security guy there, "we'll never hear the end of this" 9 years on it's still going. tragic that it was a man-made disaster. Just like all the countless wars and goings on in the world, what a pity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

magotch07 wrote: »
    i was in mrs stacks Irish class in templeogue college when i first heard

That's two of us so

English after lunch when it happened, Irish when I found out, the final business class atmosphere was a weird one...I don't remember watching much of the coverage that night though. My mother who had been up on the North Tower was staring blankly/incredulously.

I guessed Bin Laden because I remembered he was being hunted for the African embassy bombings years before..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

My cousin and her friend went to the top of one of the towers while on their way to school that day, they live in NY but had never been in either of the towers before and thought it was a good idea to do so that morning. Thankfully they were safely in school by the time the attack took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I was on my day off from work that day. Being a news junkie i had the tv on my default station,Sky News. When the first plane strike was announced i was a bit concerned,mainly because we were due to fly to NYC on holidays 6 days later on the 17th. My initial reaction was "ah well,looks like the WTC is off the sightseeing agenda"!

Once the 2nd plane hit(i remember Kay Burley thinking it was replay of the first!!) i knew this was more than an accident. I was living in an apartment on Capel st. at the time and had no landline phone and i'd lost my mobile at a work do the previous weekend. I ran around to a payphone on Ormond Quay to ring the wife in work. Her first thoughts were "What about the holiday?"!!

Like many,i spent the rest of the day glued to the tv. We toyed with the idea of still going to NYC,Giuliani was on tv saying it was business as usual,but in the end we cancelled as we'd have felt like some sort of morbid tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

I was talking with some friends about where we were when Kurt Cobain got shot

Joke stolen from Zach Galifianakis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭47

I`d just got in from school and had turned on sky news and I can remember my dad saying "****..that". Spent the rest of the evening dodging homework and glued too sky news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,974 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

OisinT wrote: »
    Im normally a supporter of Facetious humor but thanks for taking the biscuit. I'm going to pretend the window reference wasn't intended to be nearly as offensive as I actually find it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Overheal wrote: »
    Im normally a supporter of Facetious humor but thanks for taking the biscuit. I'm going to pretend the window reference wasn't intended to be nearly as offensive as I actually find it to be.
    Ouch, yeah. Didn't think of that. edited accordingly.

Sincere apologies -

• Registered Users Posts: 82,974 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No worries but when I think 9/11 the window jumpers always spring to mind. The whole day was unbelievable but to be one of those stuck up there and you know theres no chance of you getting out alive. I think of all the worst ways people died on 9/11 the people in the highest floors of the towers had it the worst. I cant even fathom the abject despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

It was the day before I returned to work from maternity leave. I dreaded it, had cried my eyes out the night before:(. I was curled up in a chair watching 'Sunset Beach' feeling sorry for myself when my oh had rang me to tell me to change the channel to Bbc 1. I did and saw it all unfolding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I was 20 at the time, unemployed because of laziness. I was sitting in my bedroom playing MS flight sim of all things, when my sister told me to stick on the telly. The first plane had already hit and I saw the second one happen live.....the rest is a bit of a blur but I do remember being absolutely glued to Sky news etc all day and night, and again the days after.

9 years ago...unbelievable.

OT - I was at a bit of a work do in a pub when the US bombed the bejesus of Iraq with Shock and Awe...everyone there drinking and laughing while watching people die on the big screen....very odd night that.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

I was only 11 at the time and it was exactly a month after my birthday, I'd just come home from school and was in the kitchen flicking through channels while my ma finished making my dinner. I remember seeing it on sky news not really comprehending what it was, thinking it was old footage or something not really comprehending the seriousness of what had happened and then my ma said not to change the channel, I'll never forget the look of shock on her face looking at the headlines, made me finally realise it was something very serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I was in school, as far as I recall. Think a teacher told us in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

i was ringing my dealer when i saw news on sky so i went and got a half ounce of hash, then to pub for few pints and later a bust of cans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

i was working in a pharmaceutical facility in full air supply garb. Only got out at 6 and was wondering why there was 34 missed calls on my phone. Did'nt take me long to find out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I was home in bed, it was Sept 12th in Australia as the 1st plane crashed into the twin towers.

My mum passed away on the 12th Sept. I always have a quiet day at home.

I rang work to tell them I was having a sickie and the boss said "turn on the TV" and when I did the the first tower had been hit and moments later the second tower was hit.

Advertisement