Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where were you on September 11th 2001?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I was in Lourdes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I was in school, and my dotty english teacher came in and told us, we were all like "ha?". I had my phone up my sleeve and my sister would text me updates as it happened.
    I was trying to convince my teacher I was psychic, very mature of me!
    I went to waterford on the bus that evening and was listening to the radio and they had the Palestinian ambassador on asking did he think they attacks were anything to do with Palestine. He was getting very flustered and upset saying there was no reason to suggest that.
    I was in WIT later and I saw lights outside and jumped, my teacher said "no ones gonna crash a plane into the good sheppard"
    Thats it really, I had bought a new CD and couldnt wait to get home and listen to it, but when I got home I couldnt turn off the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Was in Uni in one of the computer suites, surfing a message board. Everyone online was going mental talking about war and New York being destroyed, I was like eh WTF have I just missed? Bunked off for the rest of the day and went to the pub, I was completely empty apart from me and the barman so I ordered a pint and sat down and watched the smoking crater that used to be the WTC listening in disbelief. After that went home and watched it a bit more then went to the Student Union for a few drinks with my housemate, it was a surreal day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I was only 10 at the time, so I'd just come home from school. I didn't really realise the full implications of what had happened at that time, but I remember standing in the living room with my parents and brother, and everyone just staring at the television when the second plane crashed, and my dad just going, "Jesus f*cking Christ". It's kinda strange seeing footage of it now, it's kinda like I'm recalling a dream rather than an actual memory when I think of it.

I was buying a 98 honda civic coupe, SR

VTEC yo...etc...

I got texts from a friend while on the road who ran a bar

****ing islams or the like he went on about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Maybe its my dodgy memory but I seem to recall that America were conducting some raid the night of 9/11 somewhere in the middle east (think it was Yemen). Can anyone remember this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

galwayrush wrote: »
    My cousin and her friend went to the top of one of the towers while on their way to school that day, they live in NY but had never been in either of the towers before and thought it was a good idea to do so that morning. Thankfully they were safely in school by the time the attack took place.

The attack happened at 8.45a.m.

How could they have got to the top of the towers, back down again and into class before that time? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

I was at home, shouting at a telemarketer for ringing me. Poor guy, looking back now he was only trying to make a living!!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

I had the day free. A buddy told me about the attacks.
    I had a flight to Cork on the following Friday. I told people my flight was still going ahead.
    On irishexaminer.com there was an online chatroom. Many persons in New York passed
    messages of survivors us. We then phoned their concerned relatives. (Some phone lines were down).
    My buddy stayed glued to the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I was at school, i remember the vice principal telling us about it. I went home and watched the towers collapsing on sky news, tremendously entertaining i have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

It was the day before the Junior Cert results came out. I was hoping people would forget about them.

Not one person in school mentioned the attacks that day. I didn't find out until I got home at 5 o' clock. Never understood how nobody said anything. When Roy Keane was kicked out of the World Cup squad there was a teacher in the corridor at the end of class telling everyone about it and it was all people talked about for the rest of the day. They had their priorities right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I was just getting out of bed when i got a text saying plane just hit world trade centre????....

Presumed it was a little 2 seater cessna light aircraft or something so i wasn't to bothered until i got down stairs & walked into the tv room & seen the look on my brother's face. I remember my sister being worried that the buildings would collapse, myself & the brother look at eachother like this..:rolleyes: pah don't be silly.

Then the first building collapsed. Total horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

I was at home, it came on RTE, but at that time they believed it to be an accident.
    They were showing live footage, from an american channel, of the twin towers when the 2nd plane crashed. Honestly my first reaction was to say "omfg! That is no accident!!!" I think those images and the ones of those poor people jumping in an attempt to save themselves will stay with me till the day i die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I was @ home in bed and my mum came home crying and said to turn on the TV.......

Very sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

In school, 4th-5th class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I was in the SU, chatting with Friends when another came in screaming hysterically about twin towers...world war 3... la la la..sent down to SU bar to see the pictures on tv. I went into a computer suite and chatted about the events with friends online. Reading reports from the websites that hadn't crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I can understand why non-Americans (and Americans too young or old to understand) would ask why people remember what they were doing on this day, but from my perspective, I believe it is an important question to ask because it was the day we realized that we had taken our security and privileges for granted.

I can ask my 97 year old grandmother to remember the events of Pearl Harbor and she could probably describe it better than she could the day my mother was born. I could ask both of my parents where they were and what they were doing on the days King and JFK were assassinated.

I bet that if I had access to a time machine and I was magically sent back to England on October 14, 1075, there would be a lot of Londoners who could recount their memories of 1066. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

unknown13 wrote: »
    Looking back. 9/11 is probably one of the most important days in the World because the amount of things that have changed since then has been ridiculous.
    Many things have changed since then, but relatively very few as a direct result of 9/11.

I can think of 3 straight away
    1. The left tower is no longer there
    2. The right tower is no longer there
    3. Disco crisps began only filling the bag a third of its capability
    You will pay Bin Laden, you will pay the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I was in work. Holding a seminar for custoners from all over the world. 2 of them were from New York and they were just devastated to hear the news. One of them coached a childrens baseball team across the street from the towers on a weekly basis.

All of them were wondering how they were going to get home after the seminar. Many rented cars and simply drove instead of flying home because it was just easier.

That made it very profound for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Lust4Life wrote: »
    I was in work. Holding a seminar for custoners from all over the world. 2 of them were from New York and they were just devastated to hear the news. One of them coached a childrens baseball team across the street from the towers on a weekly basis.

All of them were wondering how they were going to get home after the seminar. Many rented cars and simply drove instead of flying home because it was just easier.

That made it very profound for me.
    I'll bet yer man from NY did'nt rent a car then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

I was sitting on a beach earning 40% :D (said in a hans guber accent)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I was in New York (New Jersey)with my Girlfriend (now wife).
    Just after spending the previous 2 months in the States travelling around.
    Was woken up by her uncle telling us that a plane had crashed into the WTC.
    Went up to the top of the road to see smoke billowing from the WTC from across the bay and then a second plane fly around.
    We were due to fly back home that evening.

A very scary time over there. Lots of fear and blame around the place as you would expect. Took a while for the realisation of what had happened to sink in.
    Flights were grounded for a couple of days and eventually got home about 5 days later.
    RIP to all those who were lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I was in a meeting, wondering why my office was trying to get through to me all the time. Then a person from the company I was with came in and told us what happened. Explained the office, as the wife was visiting relatives in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I was at a lecture in college. It weirded me out later, how perfectly normal everything was. The lecture ended, I headed for the bus stop, hopped on the bus, radio wasn't on, went home. About an hour had passed by now, I figure the first tower fell as I stepped off the bus. Got in and noticed that the living-room curtains were closed. There's a savage glare on the t.v. if they're opened so I just presumed my younger sister was home sick from school or something and didn't say anything. It was a few minutes before my mother and older sister realized I was out in the kitchen and yelled for me to come in to the t.v.

Like I said, it was weird how normal things had seemed. I remember how strange it felt that evening, reading the newspaper that I'd got on the way in to college, which was dated Sept. 11th but obviously said absolutely nothing about the big event.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I was at school, just saw it at the very end of the day when it was on tv in the general area of the school. It was unbelieveable watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I heard it on Liveline, Joe Duffy announced it and for a time there was a possibility that it was just an accident but then the second plane hit the other tower.
    I remember turning on Sky News, my daughter who 3 at the time said "can I put on cartoons now?" I said yeah, I'd seen enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

I was at home, thinking how If i hadn't moved from new york, myself or brother could have been caught up in it or killed.
    Watched sky news all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I was on holidays in Ibiza, we were about 9 or 10 days into a 14 day holiday and we didnt find out for a few hours after what had happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭JennyAnt

Was 15 and on a sicky from school. Was lying on couch and census lady was doing the rounds. She was in our house asking my mam questions, my dad was flicking round TV and said 'that's two stations showing the same film'...... didn't take long to realise it wasn't a film.

Census lady stayed in our house for near an hour glued to the telly!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

I was 21 and working in AIB Finance and Leasing in Sandyford. We were a call centre so there were always phones ringing.
    My now hubbie rang from Cork to say that a plan had crashed into one of the towers I said freaky. Then he rang back to say that he had walked out on his job because he had taken enough of their ****.
    Then he rang to say a second plane had crashed.

When the second plane crashed the phones stopped ringing. It was so freaky.

The team leaders and managers went up to the board room to watch the news coverage. We didnt' see anything because the net was blocked from our pcs but I remember they came down crying so much. Even the men. I remember the insurance company on the ground floor of our building also had an office in or near the twin towers.

Also one of our staff had a brother working in the towers.

I remember going home from work and sitting in the arm chair for a minute or two before puttin on the telly. I knew what i was going to see was shocking but nothing could prepare me for seeing poor innocent souls jumping to their deaths.

may they all rest in peace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I was in 4th year, We had a half day from school as we where getting our results from the Junior Cert the next day.

On the news outside the Goat Pub in Goatstown is when i first heard it, by the time we had gotten to my nan's the second plane had hit. It was surreal and even though nine years ago i can still remember it clearly and account for all that happened, there where reports coming in on the day on all the news channells other buildings being hit, other places being targeted, I always remember a Tower 3 or C falling before the main towers even though it was not touched. Always found that report odd.

You also have Flight 93 on the day and the Pentagon attacks.

Me and My fianceé where reading over the actual 2001 thread on here last night, and i can't remember who said it but strangely prophetic,

"What's going to happen is americans will bomb 1 or 2 places to the stoneage and Bush will start a war"

remember the following day we got our JC results, thats all really, i remember we got them nothing else

A year before my nan and grandad where in New York at the twin towers.

Must watch the simpsons episode where they go to new york tonight

Advertisement