Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where were you on September 11th 2001?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I remember it well, it was the day Liverpool played their first Champions League game against Boavista. I'd played football that morn and was coming into work for the afternoon when someone said, "Have you heard what has happened?" and my immediate thought was, "Ah for fook sake Michael Owen has broken his leg!".....was told a plane had crashed into the WTC, couldn't believe it. We had clients around that area in NY and I remember them ringing to say they were evacuating the buildings etc. It was all a bit surreal, it wasn't until I was actually watching the live footage on tv that the magnitude of it all sunk in!

Oh and I wish Michael Owen would break his leg now....the Judas cnut!!!

I was in college, two memories stick in my mind, one of the lads (still a good friend of mine) was disgusted as he had a good few quid in shares at the time, always thought that made him a bit of an arse, looking at the financial cost to himself. Also at the time I was going out with this right silly b1tch and she was saying how it was so big a fuss, then later in the week she realised that it actually was a big fuss. She works with my sister now and is still a silly b1tch by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

in the kitchen in bewleys. the floor manager came in and said a plane had hit the twin towers but it looks like an accident. i went to the sports department in roches stores to watch the telly and saw the second plane hit.

sports department in roches stores .

Roches Stores, class shop that was. When I bought my flat I got most of my stuff for it in Roches in Tallaght, also got a birthday card for the ole lad. Hard to beat Roches in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

I was in 2nd year and had been given a half day because the Junior Cert results were out the day after. I was actually in a beautician's getting my eye brows waxed and the beautician had the radio on. I think it was Joe Duffy. I asked her what had happened and she said something had hit the world trade centre.

It was truly bizarre. I remember just paying and going home, turned on the radio as we didnt have tv at the time. It was horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

I was working in the HR dept of a US bank (based in London). I spent a sizeable amount of the days that followed 'tracking people down', as there was a fair amount of movement between the London and New York offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Was in 2nd year, 14, In irish class i think lol, and my dad picked me up and said did you hear the news ( he thought the teachers may have told us).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I was in college in Galway and myself and a mate went into the Drum for lunch. There were loads of people standing around the tv.
    I thought there was a match on.

One of the lads I knew worked there and told us and we walked over to the tv just as the 2nd plane hit.

I remember watching the towers sway and then fall and just kept thinking "jesus, this is real..there are people in there nd I'm watching them die". It was so surreal and so hard to wrap my head around that fact.
    I was standing, pint in hand watching thousands of people die a horrific death. It was very disturbing.

triseke wrote: »
    I was in 2nd year and had been given a half day because the Junior Cert results were out the day after. I was actually in a beautician's getting my eye brows waxed and the beautician had the radio on. I think it was Joe Duffy. I asked her what had happened and she said something had hit the world trade centre.

It was truly bizarre. I remember just paying and going home, turned on the radio as we didnt have tv at the time. It was horrible.

2nd years gettig half days for JC results. 2nd years getting their eyebrows waxed....... no telly........... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

Got home from school and my mam was crying didn't really cop on until i seen the 2nd plane hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I was in Ireland, working for a R&D branch of a US startup company. I have moved back to Ireland from Washington DC in June, after living in the states for 6 years. I felt emotionally very close to the situation. We (wife and friends) used to go to NYC a few times a year and always stayed in the Marriot hotel, located at No 3 World Trade Center.
    I also knew the area around the Pentegon very well as I drove right past it every day going to and from work. I also knew many people who worked there.

During the day I was IM'ing (Yahoo instant messenger, was all the rage 10 years ago :-) ) a close friend of mine who was on a lock down in a government building in downtown DC. She was absolutely terrified. He husband was in the Arlington Police Department and she knew he was in the pentagon that day, and was unsure if he was alive or dead (he was fine). I remember feeling completely helpless, unable to comfort her, and at the time everyone was really scared as there was a genuine belief that more plans were heading towards DC.

Later in the day we realized that the guy who was the major shareholder in our company, and father to our work colleague was missing (his office was in WTC). His remains were found two days later (which itself was unusual).

Overall I remember feeling a shocking sense of personal devastation and terrible sadness. I felt physically sick and had difficulty sleeping for a while.

We had an American flag, which we gave to our neighbors (who were American) as a useless token of solidarity.

For the day of remembrance, myself and my wife wanted to do something, but did not know what. We ended up making the decision of go to the cliffs of Moher, to reflect on what happened, and remember those who had died. I'm glad we did, because it has stuck in my mind and I now mentally link the two.

The company I worked for went under soon after, as a direct results of the attacks.

To be honest just remembering the whole day makes me very sad on the one hand, but very grateful on the other, for all the wonderful memories that America has afforded me, but more importantly, I'm grateful for the many wonderful things that have happened to me since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Popsy

I was in Turkey at the time. I remember we were walking down the street and there were cheers and dancing from the locals, we actually thought there was football match on or something.

When we got the restaurant it was on the tv. The amount of people running up to us to celebrate was frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Was working in Hertz in swords at the time, Not one single phone rang that afternoon in the whole floor...i'll always remember that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

I was in college in Castlebar. Our accountancy class had been cancelled so a gang of us were going home. I went to the Irish House to use the loo and saw the 2nd plane hit.
    We all went back to our house to watch the news. One of our class mates was in NY on hols with her sister at the time. We finally got her boyf who said they were fine and had gone the day before!
    It was also one of our best friends 21st and we supposed to have a party in our house. I still remember sitting in the pub that night singing happy birthday to my friend and feeling so uneasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Popsy wrote: »
    I was in Turkey at the time. I remember we were walking down the street and there were cheers and dancing from the locals, we actually thought there was football match on or something.

When we got the restaurant it was on the tv. The amount of people running up to us to celebrate was frightening.

I'd well believe that.. these same people call themselves a secular society and expect to be granted accession into the EU.. horrible bastards whoever took joy out of that atrocity

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

I was actually on my year in Australia. My and my SO were living in Brisbane, and we had just gone to bed when I got a phonecall from a mate of mine in Sydney to tell me that there was some craziness on the news about a plane having crashed into the WTC. We stayed up until about 5am watching it all unfold. Very surreal stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

We were on the road from Dublin Airport after a weekend in Edinburgh and heard it on the radio and as we were listening Gareth O'Callaghan announced about the second tower....frightening stuff.
    Got home and sat in front of the TV for the rest of the night gobsmacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Came out of school and heard it on the radio as i got in the car..Big moment like this you always remember where you were..Strangely cant remember where i was for 7/7 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

storm2811 wrote: »
    My dad was the same! Seen it, went out to the garage and got back to work, not a care in the world.:pac:

Leitrim men eh :)

Ah, he was well shocked when he got his mind of that consultant.

He said that the doctor was more interested in a patient in an adjoining room, but my thinking is that he might have been watching the news on a TV.

Either way, he refused to go to another doctor for three years with that pain, no matter how many arguments I had with him about it.

In the end, it turned out to be cancer and he was gone before I could even wrap my head around the fact that he had it.

Whenever I hear or read the death toll for 9/11, in my head - I always add another 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I'd well believe that.. these same people call themselves a secular society and expect to be granted accession into the EU.. horrible bastards whoever took joy out of that atrocity

In fairness I know of an Irish guy who reacted in a similar manner until he was told in no uncertain terms to cop the **** on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I was in Queens, New York, on a 3-week holiday to celebrate my 21st. I was due to fly home 2 days after, but flight home was delayed about a week.

Woke up early, watching the news and the first plane was just after hitting. At that stage it appeared to be a minor accident, thought it was nothing, then saw the second plane crash. Went to the pub then for the day, watching it all unfold on the news. Everyone was just gobsmacked. The owner of the pub was telling us there was no way the towers would fall (he worked on them during construction) so it was even more shocking when they did. Outside the pub we could clearly see the smoke from the top of the towers a few miles away, and then just the smoke everywhere all over the horizon when they fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

We've all seen the footage and documentatry's but it's amazing to hear Irish peoples first hand experiences of 11/9!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭MiciG91

Was there a live as it happened thread here ? Cant find one !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Where were you on August 15th 1998?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭MiciG91

Where were you on August 15th 1998?

Omagh on my holidays had a blast :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

MiciG91 wrote: »
    Was there a live as it happened thread here ? Cant find one !!

Here's one: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30985&highlight=World+trade+center+york
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Clawdeeus

MiciG91 wrote: »
    Omagh on my holidays had a blast :pac:

ugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rooneysdaman

I was at home in Boston that morning having a rare lie-in, my husband was up with the kids. Got a phone-call from my friend who said people were jumping out of the World Trade Center and I was thinking 'why the f**k would anybody jump out of those??'. Switched on the telly and my God, they were literally showing people jumping to their deaths from the towers, I could not believe what my eyes were seeing. Having lived in NY for several years before moving to Boston, I'd been up the towers many times, every time I got a visitor from Ireland they'd want to be taken there, I just couldn't conceive of any situation bad enough that jumping would be the preferable alternative....

Several things I will always remember from that day:

- such a beautiful day, not a cloud in the gorgeous clear blue sky, it just seemed so 'wrong' for so many people to die on such a beautiful day

- how eerily quiet it was once the FAA shut down all domestic flights in the US. We lived on a popular flight path to Logan and it was deathly quiet without the planes in the air

- it was the day after my daughter's 3rd birthday and her first day of preschool, I was afraid and wanted to keep her home but she was too excited, I let her go

- the horror we felt when we learned that some of the flights had originated at Logan airport

- the fear we felt when the military jets flew overhead, we had been warned that there were other planes still up there bent on destruction

-the absolute certainty that for sure, we were going to personally know some of the people that were lost that day, I remember vaguely wondering how much more it was going to hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭wicklowstar

In frickin Maths class..
    I was in first year and it was announced over our intercom.
    I wasnt sure why they would announce it over the intercom, maybe in case we had family there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I was in Supermac's when I found out. Bunch of Americans were in there practically in tears. Can't blame them.

Advertisement