Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where were you on September 11th 2001?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I was doing the school run, waiting in my car for my son to come out from school. Gareth O'Callaghan was on the radio. I remember the disbelief when he reported a second plane, up to then it was assumed that the first plane was a tragic accident. As soon as I could I got home to watch Sky News.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

working in Lourdes France,watching the news in a hotel lobby
    it was very confused and they were saying causalities would be between 40-60 thousand
    I was convinced it would be the beginning of WWIII

awful day

I was in school. Didn't hear about it until I came home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

came home from school and taking of the ould uniform off and turned on the tv...There was Brian Dobson on at 4.30 in the day!!!!..I was thinking "this ain't the 6.1" but then seen what was goin on!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Connie_c28

I was in work in an office and working with an American girl who's first statement was 'WTF have our government just done!'. Poor girl's brother and sister worked in the area and it took nearly a day and half for her to get word both were safe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had just started 2nd year in secondary school. Our Irish teacher came in (first class after lunch if I recall correctly, maybe a bit later?) and told us about it: as Gaeilge :pac:. We picked up a few words here and there: Meiriceá, eitlean etc... although didn't fully understand, just enough to know something bad was going down. Then he explained in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Was in New York that day and had planned to go up the twin towers that morning. Damn terrorists ruined my day, nothing was open!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I was asleep in bed, having slept it out for my second day in art school.

All I remember is being woken up by my brother returning home from his early shift at work, shouting "It's World War fukking III".

I spent the rest of the day glued to the tv watching the planes crash into the towers over and over and over and over and over.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Was in New York that day and had planned to go up the twin towers that morning. Damn terrorists ruined my day, nothing was open!

that's so bad - but funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Um, in me gaf at lunch time, that's when I first heard about it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

i was running the wishing well pub in cricklewood north London.
    and as the tv was always on in the bar so saw every bit of it live, just unreal
    and when the 2nd plane hit i was starting to panic myself saying this is war or whats going on, and yes i bloodly needed a drink..

Was in bed, cause the college term hadn't started yet, and I was not amused when my then boyfriend text me to tell me to get up and turn on Sky News. I text back "No" and when he text back that a plane had hit the WTC, I got up, cause I hadn't a clue what WTC stood for and thought it must have been something more local. I think I was rather disappointed that it wasn't. Turned it on just as the second plane hit, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I was attending the London branch of an American university. We (the students in the program) were all American. A few had just arrived from NYC two days before.

I had just gotten out of my last class for the day and was headed back to my flat with a friend when someone came running down the stairs and said, "A plane just crashed into the world trade center." I can't remember what happened next, just that we ended up in someone else's flat with just about everyone else in the program. We were all crowded around this ugly pink couch watching tv. A few minutes after I came in, the second plane hit, and that's when things got intense. People had relatives in NYC and of course, us living in the heart of London, our families stateside were really worried and the phones started ringing off the hook.

That night, we went to a play required by the program. We took the tube and I remember thinking, anyone could walk on here with a bomb and blow this train up. We lived next to Russell Square and were on the Piccadilly line. I also remember where I was for the 7/7 bombings a few years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I was in primary school. found out when I got home.

my grandparents were at the white house :eek: glad they didn't die :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

sitting flicking through channels then seen the yellow banner on the bottom of the screen.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

It was my first day of college, and i just got home, flicked on the tv and saw the footage of the first tower after it got hit. I thought, "huh, wonder what movie this is"....then "HOLY **** THIS IS SKY NEWS!!!" Then the second plane hit, i couldnt beieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I was sitting drinking coffee in the Queen of Tarts opposite Don Conroy. I had heard the news on the radio on the way into the city, but didn't quite believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I wasn't long home from UN duty in Lebanon and looking at the scene unfold on Sky News.

Then my kids came home from school, upset, and my son asking me if this means world war III was starting and if I'd have to go away again.

Rang work to see did they know anything which wasn't on Sky News.

Nothing except that our troops in Lebanon were reporting the area as 'tense' with the locals celebrating the attacks on the streets all over our area of operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I was in work, got an email about the first plane from a mate, thinkin it was a light aircraft but got confirmation from a few others in different offices, on the way home was surreal everyone driving really slowly and some women in cars crying behind the steering wheel...

At the time I was putting together a monthly drum and bass night (wtf?) and had our first night on the Thursday of that week. I had DJ's coming over from the UK, posters and flyers put out months before hand etc so huge money and time put out and destined for complete failure because no one liked the music except me and a handful of people.

Then it was announced that there was going to be a national day of mourning on the Friday, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.. what to do cancel and bankrupt the night... or go ahead and be quids in....so I went ahead. The place was rammed and it was a huge success and everyone had a great night.

Club went bust about three months after... but that is part of 9/11 for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

I was in the Canteen at work with another girl from my section..
    as we were watching it she said..imagine all those poor little children waiting for their parents to pick them up after work... and nobody comes...

Every time 9/11 is mentioned that is the image I have in my mind.

Anyone who tries to justify that kind of evil is very sick!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

'Dislike'.

The scene of mass murder is rarely funny.
    Oh come on now if those planes crashed into dail eireann it would be funny no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Watching it on RTE news, was still in 3 channel land back then. It was the day before I started college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

Watching it on TV in the departure lounge at Toulouse airport - hoping to fcuk that we weren't going to be grounded...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I was 7, didn't really know what the twin towers were but thought none of my friends would know because we had sky news and they didn't.:o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

I had just collected my son and his pal from school, as pal's older brother was collecting his junior cert results. The boys were playing and as I was getting dinner and listening to Liveline the news alert came through. I ran into the boys, sat them both in front of the tv and told them that as young as they were they would remember this day for the rest of their lives. I phoned my oh in work, he thought it was a joke till I called him!

Yes one of those days/times that you know exactly what you were doing

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Some Joke videos aren't funny, well not today anyhow.

If you have a problem with a post, please report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mister men wrote: »

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

9/11 started out as just another day. This short video shows the day's main stories before 8:46 am in Manhattan:

I watched the events unfold on RTÉ, but a lot of people here watched SKY News, so here's their breaking news from that day:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

Heard about the first plane in the car on my way to see the foundations of our house being laid.
    Then headed to my brothers house nearby when we saw the second plane hit. Totally surreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Mister men wrote: »

If it crashed into your house it might get a smile from me.

Advertisement