Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National - Olympia Dublin - 02/03/04 Dec 2010 - All discussion no tickets/swaps.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

yeah fair point, I can understand that from the band point of view certainly

but I wonder would the cut-throats at the label see it that way? since they could be doing more shows in more countries had we a suitable venue for 5000...not that i'm worried about what they think...just musing

I think most bands like to play in more intimate venues so that they're more close to the crowd. Also, most bands like to play as many shows as possible so 3 shows at smaller venues is usually more preferable to 1 show in a bigger venue.

Having said that, MCD might be getting a 5000 capacity venue in Citywest so that may help fill the market for bands who can't sell out The O2 but can overstuff the small venues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sd2002

What do people reckon:

are the setlists on the three nights likely to be the same or will they mix it up a bit?

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

JJ wrote: »
    I think most bands like to play in more intimate venues so that they're more close to the crowd. Also, most bands like to play as many shows as possible so 3 shows at smaller venues is usually more preferable to 1 show in a bigger venue.

Having said that, MCD might be getting a 5000 capacity venue in Citywest so that may help fill the market for bands who can't sell out The O2 but can overstuff the small venues.

when you're gigging as much as the National have been for the last while, I'm not sure you could say they want to play as many show as possible...probably depends on the band I assume

I think bands like a few days off if possible...I think it benefits them from a rejuvenation point of view and then benefits the audiences afterwards. But like what was said above..if playing 3 shows in a row in Dublin means they get hotels and more chill-out time its all good

but anyways...sorry for dragging off topic...roll on December

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

JJ wrote: »
    Also, most bands like to play as many shows as possible so 3 shows at smaller venues is usually more preferable to 1 show in a bigger venue.

most bands enjoy playing smaller gigs, but would much prefer to finish their tours and get home, rather than hanging around for a few days in hotels in some city they've been to a few times before.
    it's not as if Dublin has a load of interesting tourist things to do really....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

most bands enjoy playing smaller gigs, but would much prefer to finish their tours and get home, rather than hanging around for a few days in hotels in some city they've been to a few times before.

Sure for all we know they might love Dublin and be delighted they get to drink their faces off with decent Guinness for a few days. :)

Thing is though that there's no venue size between The Olympia and the O2 that would cater for them to get the full potential out of being in Dublin and do it in one night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Today's Friday?

Whoops - no National for me.

Indeed! I also forgot..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Got tickets for saturday.

Off to toutless to try and swap 2 for thurs night - fingers crossed!

Just a reminder to conduct all swaps on toutless..com, thanks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

sd2002 wrote: »
    What do people reckon:

are the setlists on the three nights likely to be the same or will they mix it up a bit?

Anyone any ideas?

Last time they played i went to two nights, the first and the last and i was happy with the set lists both night. About 50% difference ( i think)

Hope to do the same this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I got standing tickets for all three nights easy enough. No hassle at all in getting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Dang.. forgot they were on sale today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

Can't seem to get tickets for any night, standing or seated.. Sold out or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

Delighted i woke up in time to buy a ticket. 2 for Friday sorted:D

Can't seem to get tickets for any night, standing or seated.. Sold out or what??

MCD have confirmed that they're all sold out.

http://mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=2048045&ar=thenational&cat=all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

I got tickets for the thursday with no problem, just dont like those capatchas, some of them are impossible to read. The olympia holds 1200 i think, do heavier bands ever play the grand canal theatre?
    My december
    The National Dec 2
    Belle And sebastian Dec 3
    Arcade Fire Dec 5
    Godspeed Dec 10
    Happy with that!

indiewindy wrote: »
    I got tickets for the thursday with no problem, just dont like those capatchas, some of them are impossible to read. The olympia holds 1200 i think, do heavier bands ever play the grand canal theatre?

I don't think heavier bands would play there because it's a completely seated venue with no removable seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

I've seen them the last couple of times they played the Olympia and I can say that they love playing there. They were completely taken aback at the reaction they got in Nov 2007 ... as far as I can remember Matt Berenger said that the Devendorf brother's mother is Irish so they were completely chuffed. If anyone hasn't seen them live yet, you're in for a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Aussie Sean

I got 4 for the upper circle on the Saturday at about 9.30 this morning. Seriously chuffed!!!

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

I NEED to get tickets for this! Especially since I didn't get tickets for Interpol in December, which are now sold out. :(
    Seeing The National will make up for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

i'm delighted to be able to see them in the olympia...but as a tour manager, isn't that a bit of a pain in the hole to have the band there for 3 nights in a row rather than having a venue with a 5000 (ish) capacity or something? Having them work a bit less is always good for longevity I imagine.

It's the same situation for so many bands that play here, huge gap between a capacity of 1,200 and thereabouts (Vicar Street/Olympia/Tripod) and 12,000 (The O2). RDS doesn't adequately really fill the void inbetween so Dublin could really do with a proper mid-range venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Managed to get two tickets for Friday night.

The National on friday night and Arcade Fire saturday night. Nice little weekend!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Sorry for all those of you who couldn't get tickets on the website, but next time think about just trying the TM booths if you can. Show up 15 minutes early, coffee and free paper ... and all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Sorry for all those of you who couldn't get tickets on the website, but next time think about just trying the TM booths if you can. Show up 15 minutes early, coffee and free paper ... and all is good.

yup! :(

I was outta the country when the gigs were announced and when they went on sale! :mad:

Just so I don't go crazy, how much over the odd's would people on here pay for a ticket? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Managed to get two tickets for Friday night.

The National on friday night and Arcade Fire saturday night. Nice little weekend!!

Where are you seeing Arcade Fire on the Saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Tickets arrived today, thats the quickest I've ever got ticketmaster tics, roll on December!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

Managed to get tickets for the Friday, delighted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 macpatch

Please read the thread header and forum charter, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Please read the thread header and forum charter, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Phosphorescent are the support act for the three nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

monkey9 wrote: »
    Phosphorescent are the support act for the three nights.

Any good?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

deisedude wrote: »
    Any good?

New album is in my top 5 of the year so far. Just saw them a few weeks ago and they were great.

Advertisement