Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does a network provider in Ireland keep text messages in their database?

Options
  • 05-09-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

How long does a network provider in Ireland keep text messages in their database after youve deleted from your phone?Ive heard two years which seems a bit extreme but just recently read they delete within 2 weeks because their database is full because of the massive amounts of texts the irish send.Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

dannyo666 wrote: »
    How long does a network provider in Ireland keep text messages in their database after youve deleted from your phone?Ive heard two years which seems a bit extreme but just recently read they delete within 2 weeks because their database is full because of the massive amounts of texts the irish send.Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

2 years sounds about right - it'll be in mobile data retention legislation if you're interested enough to go hunt it out. You can guarantee that the data will be kept for at least as long as the legislation requires as well, as the operators could probably face stiff penalties if it turned out that they weren't keeping the records they were legally obliged to.

A rough back-of-the-envelope calculation wouldn't imply any hassle in storing a couple of years worth of sms messages either - you'd be talking in the single-digit terrabyte area for all sms messages sent in Ireland every year between all the operators. Those sorts of database sizes wouldn't be uncommon these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭dannyo666

Crazy system because i recently tried to contact my network provider about a text i recieved 5 months-ish and was told only the guards can do so and all that is kept in thier database anyway is the phone numbers of the 2 texters,the imie numbers and locations of the texter and reciever which i found a bit weird.

They can tell you which part of the country you were in but the actual dialogue of the text isnt stored at all?:confused:

Invasion of human rights maybe?

Advertisement