Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My eircom nightmare part 2

Options
  • 05-09-2010 7:17pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, back in 2007 i had an epic battle with eircom and having to go to extreme lengths to get something to happen, see this link
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055048304&highlight=eircom+nightmare

Long story but basically for the last 4 months or so its back to where i was and eircom refuse to address the issue.
    Again this is widespread in the town, its not just me and its not a once off occasion, im online most evenings if not all evenings as are some friends who also suffer terrible slowdown in the evenings.

Im just sick to the teeth with them now and really want a change.
    Im hearing UPC is the way to go? but not available in our small town and i cant see any info on their website about proposed enabled areas either.

Seriously guys am i just stuck with this shower?

Suggestions greatly appreciated :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Damien mulley in that other thread seemed to give you a contact of someone higher up in eircom, did you have any luck with that avenue this time?

The ngb rollout seems to be heading to Portarlington and Newbridge but not to Monasterevan this year?? For a start you can lodge a formal complaint with eircom and perhaps you could include some other phone numbers of customers who are having problems in the town.

Are there any wireless providers in your area which could help? Perhaps ripplecom are in the area, I'm not sure what they're like since taking over ICE.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I tried the number Damien provided but no answer.
    Ive also noticed Monasterevin is not on the ngb list :(
    Id rather not go with wireless as its mainly for gaming.
    Thanks for your reply.

Some wireless services have pings as good as DSL, like digiweb metro or Net1 in my part of the world. If there are reports of a good provider in the area e.g. on boards, I wouldn't write them off because it works through an antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digiweb metro is 2 to 3 times better than DSL for pings unless you are on LLU DSL.

Anyway of knowing if im on LLU DSL?

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Digiweb metro is 2 to 3 times better than DSL for pings unless you are on LLU DSL.
    Some DSL (eircom retail) connections I've seen have ping times to irish websites of 12-14ms, it would be very hard to be 2-3 times faster than that. In any case I thought Metro was at the 20ms mark. The majority of "up to 8 mbps" connections or else the former 7.6 mbps connections hover at the 25ms mark.

Eircom have become much more attentive to lag and interleaving issues since they introduced the 7.6 mbps sevice with 64/8 interleaving with associated complaints.

Dcully, as you're working off an eircom connection it's not LLU. The LLU services referred to above are mainly found in larger exchanges such as provincial towns and some parts of Dublin and usually involve selling a product faster than 8 mb/s. They nearly exclusively use a newer technology called ADSL2+ than eircom's ordinary ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes the newer backhaul and lower interleaving is good on DSL. But Majority is on 50ms to 70ms still, I suspect mostly due to overhead of IP over TDM or ATM legacy transport designed for ISDN.

Indeed DSL -Ought- to be better than Metro for ping. Yes Metro is about 20ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Dcully wrote: »
    Anyway of knowing if im on LLU DSL?

You most probably aren't on an LLU exchange as only a few of the larger exchanges were "done". Where are you based?

bealtine wrote: »
    You most probably aren't on an LLU exchange as only a few of the larger exchanges were "done". Where are you based?

Im in Monasterevin Co Kildare

This is really off topic but:
    watty wrote:
    But Majority is on 50ms to 70ms still
    I have never seen a ping time on boards that was over 55ms to Irish websites in normal conditions. There are countless threads about ping times in the 5 years I've been on the broadband forum and people discussing ways of reducing them and it initially meant moving to Smart Telecom before successive increases in download speed from 1 mpbs max to 3 mbps max. With the speed upgrades eircom offered, reported ping times fell to 40ms or less from a wide variety of posters. Then controversy broke out as those who were upgraded from 3mbps to 7.6mbps were also set to the original high interleaving setting was restored for stability (and it's also why the max speed was not 8128 kbps). Eircom later introduced an unpublicised 7168/384 speed which had reduced interleaving settings or else a downgrade to 3 mbps was on the cards. Since then, eircom seem to be somewhat more flexible in granting interleaving changes.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352907
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055470922
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055444469
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054985743
    A selection from a search, up to about 4 years ago.

• Advertisement

Magnet and Digiweb are offering me 8Mb with contention of 12:1 as opposed to eircoms 48:1.
    If only i was sure to get less slowdown id jump ship asap.
    Anyway of knowing for sure ?

Sorry to bump this folks, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    6 months of congestion and counting :(

Advertisement