Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Error Msg: NO CONNECTION! CHECK SIGNAL CABLE.

• 05-09-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've had a computer stored away for a good few years and hadn't been used at all. I recently got it out of storage and tried setting it up again.

When i turn it on, i get the above error message.

Anyone any ideas of what might be going wrong. I don't know if its a simple problem or something more sinister..:confused:

Anyway, i'd be really greatful if anyone knows what the problem might be.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

well, this measage appear on the screen when vga-to-screen cable isn't connected (plugged in properly) ... is the computer starting, mean powering up

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

well, this measage appear on the screen when vga-to-screen cable isn't connected (plugged in properly) ... is the computer starting, mean powering up

That could be the problem. All wires, etc were taken out of the computer..Could you tell me what the vga-to-screen cable looks like?

Yes, the computer is starting up fine, it just all i get on the screen is the error message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Monkey09 wrote: »
    Could you tell me what the vga-to-screen cable looks like?.

It's a great big thick cable (normally white-ish with big blue connectors at each end) that connects from the screen to the back of the conputer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

VGA%20Cable.jpg

Thanks everyone..Answers are really helpful.

I've put one end of the wire into the screen put i can't see where it's supposed to fit into the computer. There's another wire with a similar kind of connection. I tried taking that out and trying to put the other one into that but it just didn't fit.

Altough there is another space in the back of the computer which connects to the wire ok but the little screws at each side don't reach the connection..:(

Anyone have any other theories?

Sorry for being such a pain! :eek:

• Advertisement

Altough there is another space in the back of the computer which connects to the wire ok but the little screws at each side don't reach the connection..:(

It'll probably only fit in one place. Never mind about the screws - they're just to hold it in tight in case you're swinging things around. The ends of the cable are male (i.e. pins sticking out) so you're looking for a female connector on the PC (i.e. a connector that all the pins would fit in to).

300px-SVGA_port.jpg

Thanks everyone. Everthing is properly connected, as far as i can tell. Mouse wire went in very easily but the keyboard wire was a bit more tempormental, it's just not held in as tightly as the mouse wire is.

I'm now getting the following message:
    Keyboard failure.
    Alert: Cover was previously removed.
    Invalid configuration information-please run SETUP programme
    Strike the F1 key to continue. F2 to run the setup utility.

I really don't know what to make of it at this stage...I'm starting to regret taking it out of storage at this stage...I had planned to donate to a charter which ships computers to Africa. I just needed to make sure that the computer would turn on normally for them to take it but that hope is gradually fading away. :(

...Mouse wire went in very easily but the keyboard wire was a bit more tempormental, it's just not held in as tightly as the mouse wire is.

It sounds like the keyboard connector (either the one in the PC or the one on the cable) may have been damaged. Are they PS/2 (barrel-shaped) or USB connectors? If they're PS/2, then one or more of the pins on the cable connector might be bent. Check and let us know.

Yes, they're the barrell shaped ones. So it looks like its a problem with the keyboards itself then?

Yes, they're the barrell shaped ones. So it looks like its a problem with the keyboards itself then?

Look at the pins and see if you can tell whether or not any of them look bent? If the computer also has USB connectors then a USB keyboard should work if you can get your hands on one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement