Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demise of the five!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Cabaal wrote: »
    Given this isn't a sport forum I'm of course free to post in any thread I want, the fact that Waterford people seem so obsessed with the final even though they weren't even in it is kind of amusing

Hey, we had the referee! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Given this isn't a sport forum I'm of course free to post in any thread I want, the fact that Waterford people seem so obsessed with the final even though they weren't even in it is kind of amusing

Its not a sports forum, and you are free to post here.

I just don't see why someone would bother post in a thread about hurling saying that they don't care about hurling.

If you don't care why bother post anything??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

gscully wrote: »
    Hey, we had the referee! ;)

The ref and the umpires were all roanmore men :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Moment of the match!!!!

To see the great(?) KK side reduced to throwing hurleys a players in an attempt to stop him scoring????eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

HOW DESPERATELY DESPERATELY Fbiggrin.gifCKING SAD.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

You don't understand sport in the slightest and you seem to acknowledge this but yet in the same sentence you say you find those interested in an AI final they are not involved in amusing, shur any GAA fan in the whole country and beyond are interested in AI finals. Sports fans like watching sport, not just when their own team is involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

It wasn't just Waterford people who were delighted to see Kilkenny lose, it was pretty much the majority of the country outside of Kilkenny.

And it wasn't just a spiteful hatred of Kilkenny that people wanted to see them lose, most people just wanted to see someone else win the thing for a change. If Tipp (or any other team) end up winning 4 in a row everyone will want to see them lose too. It's the same in any sport, people get fed up seeing the same players/teams winning too much.

And it wasn't just a spiteful hatred of Kilkenny that people wanted to see them lose, most people just wanted to see someone else win the thing for a change.

I agree. A few years back I wanted Kilkenny to win (I think they were playing Cork in the final), because I liked the style of how they were playing. I got a bit fed up of them being almost a sure thing, and so wanted Tipp to win.

Overall it was a good match. The referee kept the game under control (though I probably would have sent off your man for throwing the hurley), and I don't think there were any bookings until into the second half. It was a good clean game, and both teams hurled, rather than just intimidate eachother.

Next year if Kilkenny were playing against a team I considered to be playing dirty, I would shout for Kilkenny. (OK, not shout, but gently whisper at least :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

People get too worked up about this kinda thing. I wanted Tipp to win and of course I've had some friendly banter with my Kilkenny friends ever since, but it's never anything malicious.

People have given out to me for joining these facebook groups ever since Sunday, but it's part and parcel of the enjoyment for me. A bit of slagging is all fun as long as it's good natured. If it were Waterford that were on the end of the defeat on Sunday, I'd fully expect Kilkenny people to get a chuckle out of it and I wouldn't blame them.

Tis only a game lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It wasn't just Waterford people who were delighted to see Kilkenny lose, it was pretty much the majority of the country outside of Kilkenny.

And it wasn't just a spiteful hatred of Kilkenny that people wanted to see them lose, most people just wanted to see someone else win the thing for a change. If Tipp (or any other team) end up winning 4 in a row everyone will want to see them lose too. It's the same in any sport, people get fed up seeing the same players/teams winning too much.

I don't really get this. I'd have thought neutrals would like to see an historic record being broken. Sure, if KK kept going after that (or even the years leading up to it), I'd understand wanting them to lose. But what could very well be the only chance any of us would get to see an historic record and all there is is bile. I know if I was a neutral and some other county was going for such an achievement, I'd be behind them, as long as they weren't playing my county, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Sack

G'WAN TIPP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Godsentme wrote: »
    Moment of the match!!!!

To see the great(?) KK side reduced to throwing hurleys a players in an attempt to stop him scoring????eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

HOW DESPERATELY DESPERATELY Fbiggrin.gifCKING SAD.......

Stupid thing to do, throwing a hurley wasnt going to change anything, but Godsentme kk have won four in a row, and it is a great achievement, and someone throwing a hurley wont change that simple as. and if was waterford or Tipp I would say the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Kahless wrote: »
    I don't really get this. I'd have thought neutrals would like to see an historic record being broken. Sure, if KK kept going after that (or even the years leading up to it), I'd understand wanting them to lose. But what could very well be the only chance any of us would get to see an historic record and all there is is bile. I know if I was a neutral and some other county was going for such an achievement, I'd be behind them, as long as they weren't playing my county, of course.
    If they won the 5 in a row, next year would you hope they do the 6 in a row, 7 in a row....? I don't care for that kind of record. I love seeing Bolt smash the 100m world record, or seeing Ronnie O'Sullivan make a 147 break in 5 minutes.

I would've said well done to KK if they did the 5 in a row, but for the sake of the sport I'm glad they didn't. Similarly in darts I get fed up seeing Phil Taylor winning 9 or 10 world championships in a row. Ooh he's won 9 in a row, can he win 10 in a row? It's good to see someone else win it rather than some boring record being made.

KK got a record 4 in a row, they have the highest number of All Ireland and Leinster titles, most of their players have plenty of All Ireland medals and All Stars. So what if they didn't get the 5 in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If they won the 5 in a row, next year would you hope they do the 6 in a row, 7 in a row....?

I did address that in my post.

Kahless wrote: »
    I don't really get this. I'd have thought neutrals would like to see an historic record being broken.

Overall I think its bad for a sport if it is dominated by one team. Its the uncertainty that makes it fun to watch.

I think the uncertainty of who will win is more interesting than how many times Kilkenny can win in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

dayshah wrote: »
    Overall I think its bad for a sport if it is dominated by one team. Its the uncertainty that makes it fun to watch.

I think the uncertainty of who will win is more interesting than how many times Kilkenny can win in a row.

This is absolutely true,

Neutrals IMHO cokuldnt give leas of a ****e about records and the like they want the underdog always to win. It goes back to my man united point. Allot of people have a thiing against them based on their suceas in the late 90's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ziedth wrote: »
    This is absolutely true,

Neutrals IMHO cokuldnt give leas of a ****e about records and the like they want the underdog always to win. It goes back to my man united point. Allot of people have a thiing against them based on their suceas in the late 90's on.
    Same with Schumacher & Ferrari in F1 a few years ago.
    How many rule changes seemed to be brought in purely to stop them winning?
    Be thankful the GAA didnt take that approach............well maybe they did with the helmets.Players less afraid of getting hit :pac:

Advertisement