Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting a varnished surface

• 05-09-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

I want to paint my fireplace surround which is timber with a varnished finish.
    I will be painting with a satinwood finish.
    Is there a primer available that can go straight onto the surface without sanding first that will hold the new paint?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Humbrol use to do a product thats called makes paint stick. excellent for this job. I am sure all the pain suppliers have there version. Woodies would be a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Jay Walker

You should be able to pick up a can of 'Bins Primer Sealer' at any hardware shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Thanks guys. Anyone ever tried THIS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Well got ESP and it seems to work a treat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

wash your fire place down with a rag and white spirit to clean any grease or dirt off.when it dries get another clean lint free cloth and wipe down your fireplace with the esp,then leave to dry and apply a few coats of satin.job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Or you could apply a coat of BIN shellac based primer and finish with 2 coats of Colortrend waterbased eggshell. Job done in a couple of hours:)

Advertisement