Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does god really give a...?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

topper75 wrote: »
    That is as far as I am going (bolded above) myself. I really don't get your issue with the label. I don't know anything about God or the intelligence of God. Maybe the label has been polluted for you because of organised religions' characterisation of God as a being/person of sorts. I could also say Force or First Cause if it makes you feel better.

Well yes the label has been polluted by religions but even in its simplest form of "intelligent being" it makes a massive pile of totally unjustified assumptions. Terms like "first cause" and "force" make me think of things like gravity and electromagnetism and I don't think it makes any sense to call either of those things god. Atheists don't necessarily throw out the idea that there was a first cause/force, they just object to calling it god and/or making any assumptions about intelligence being involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

But we don't know how the universe came to be. Why say things like "God created the universe"? You can't know this.

Even if you wish to leap into supposing it was caused by some 'Force', I can't for the life of me understand why you would want to call that God.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

topper75 wrote: »
    so this universe doesn't exist then? That is slightly worrying no?

He didn't say that, he was just pointing out you can't prove god started the universe either. You're stating as fact something you've no evidence for.

And thus begins the beginning of the universe argument which has been done to death already :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Lets not get into who created what, thats been done to death, this is about if god cares about us, which he clearly doesnt,if he exists, which he doesnt....yay!

I was watching Religulous a few nights ago, now I may not agree with everything Maher says in it and he doesnt do the arrogant athiest stereotype any favours, but his reasoning is sound. the "doubt is humble" point, its arrogant to suggest we "know" god exists, as it is to suggest we know he doesnt. We dont know (or at least I dont) and I'd happily be proved wrong if he ever decides to show up and debunk all the lunacy surrounding his existence, but as thats about a likely to happen as a herd of unicorns being found alive and well in Limerick then doubt it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    hippo

Why would you do this to me Sam? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They should seriously ban all talk of God here for a week and see is there anything else to talk about....I thought I might be an atheist, with my lack of belief in religion, but it's worse than bloody mass here sometimes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They should seriously ban all talk of God here for a week and see is there anything else to talk about....I thought I might be an atheist, with my lack of belief in religion, but it's worse than bloody mass here sometimes....

Talking about god in an atheism forum, the shock! :eek:

they should ban people from talking about soccer in the soccer forum too, that'd go down well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I thought I might be an atheist, with my lack of belief in religion, but it's worse than bloody mass here sometimes....
    At least hang around for the collection basket. You have a PayPal account, I assume? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

I thought I might be an atheist, with my lack of belief in religion, but it's worse than bloody mass here sometimes....

My beliefs by Ash J Williams:

Am I an atheist? (PS. I lack believe in a deity)

Do they talk about God a lot in the atheist forum?
    1. Yes --> Therefore, I am not atheist
    2. No --> Therefore, I am atheist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

If god is almighty, why doesn't he stop all the sinners and crimes and evil in the world?
    If he can but doesn't, he's an asshole. If he can't, he is not almighty. In both ways he does not deserve to be prayed to.
    I praise Cthulu instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Imagine if Cher was god... omnipotence would be wasted on her...

Advertisement