Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting failed login notification emails

Options
  • 05-09-2010 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

I've gotten two emails from boards over the weekend:
    Dear John,

Someone has tried to log into your account on boards.ie with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 99.73.110.40

All the best,
    boards.ie

Is there anything I'm supposed to do or is there anything that can be done to stop them? Needless to say that's not my IP address (it's from Illinois I think?). My username was originally John2 and Cloud (I think it was Cloud) gave me the long defunct John username (hadn't been used since the first year of the site), I wonder if it's the original John trying to log in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Got a third one, same IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Unfortunately, there's really not much we can do that IP is part of the AT&T public netblock so has a high chance of not being statically assigned. if we were to block the IP we could be blocking legitimate users once the Ip moves on ot a new owner.

Simialrly, we cannot prevent people from attempting to log in to your account, its just not feasibly possible physically or technologically.

The only advice I can offer is that you ensure your password is suitably complex. If its the original John, I'm sure he'll contact boards eventually if he wants access and we can let him know that he'll have to create a new account.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

If all of a sudden I start shilling or spamming, it's not me!

Advertisement