Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies project (merged)

• 05-09-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hey everyone im repeating my leaving and wondering what construction project I should make? I made a bench last year, turned out well but loads off work.

Thinking along da lines of a jewelery box?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

I did a model of a house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

A coffee table. :P

Our teacher says pick something different to what people in your class are doing and something you can write a lot about in the portfolio and that wont take forever to make.

I would tell you what I'm doing but I just know everyone will copy my idea its that good.haha

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭enaeknala1

haha go on tell us??

Thinking bout a small chess table now! With like drawers and stuff for holding the pieces!

ciano1 wrote: »
    I did a model of a house :D

Not too fond of the idea of a heritage project for some reason! Think day look savage but alot of research and work more so dan a craft project! my opinion anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

Hey, for my constrction project i made a model of a timber frame wall... Keep in mind i never did woodwork befor 5th year and i got an A1!! Make sure to have a good write-up for whatever you do!!

I'm trying to upload a pic but it wont let me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

enaeknala1 wrote: »
    Not too fond of the idea of a heritage project for some reason! Think day look savage but alot of research and work more so dan a craft project! my opinion anyway!

I didn't do a heritage project.. I just pulled some random dimensions out of me arse, built a model bungalow out of plywood and wrote up a VERY detailed portfolio!

HA!! Got the pic up!! :D:D:D ... Mine was eazy enough to build nd got me the grade:):):)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Thinking of doing the Emirates stadium, made from timber with perspex glass around the outside
    emirates_stadium1.jpg

Placing the timber onto a green towel which will resemble the pitch,
    obviously there will be more detail, does anyone think it would be possible?
    Still no ideas for the seating?

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Thinking of doing the Emirates stadium, made from timber with perspex glass around the outside
    emirates_stadium1.jpg

In my opinion, this would be wayyyyy to hard and you'd have to be so careful with every detail to make it look good... think more simpley....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

emirates_stadium1.jpg

I think its a really good idea. You will get great marks for originality and your teacher will probably be really interested in it aswell. It would make for a great portfolio. Remember just to keep things as simple as possible though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

don't make furniture - it'll have to be fecking class to get a good mark - try doing a project on renewable power, water systems, roofing, stairs or something like that...

that way you can fill a big huge brief up and make a small model to show something...

I got a B1 last year and I made a wind turbine out of a bottle of coke... took about 2-3 classes to put the yoke together and a good bit of copy and paste from the internet filled my brief out - would have been finished before the mocks but I was just a lazy fecker and sat around chatting in class rather than working but I was still the first in the class finished pretty much and it gave me loads of time to start practicing making joints and all that for the day practical and that really stood to me

I really hadn't a clue what was going on in the subject half the time but I think because I kept it pure simple and got a load of practice at making joints it helped me get the B1

I'd seriously recommend you thinking about something like that rather than the furniture

emirates_stadium1.jpg

dear god don't do this - you will never get it done and you will fail if you even try to do this

don't do it - it isn't going to be worth it - just do something simple like a wall or a roof or something

what are you going to put in the brief for that like in fairness - you'd have to look at different ways to build the stadium then and unless your an engineer's son your gonna get it hard to find out what the advantage or disadvantage of building in steel rather than concrete say or whatever...

and because it's a whole stadium you'd have to look at EVERRYTHING...

just do something simple - seriously

that's something to do in your spare time with no brief needed - not something to do for your leaving cert project

do something else

saying that I can see how it'd get you an A if you do it well but unless you do it well your gonna have problems and seeing how most people acted in my class unless your a VERY diligent student and start working at it now and figure it all out early on and work at it through out the year your going to have problems making this particular project look good...

just think about it and know how your going to do it all before starting and maybe wasting 2-3 months making the base and then getting really badly stuck

maybe do a simpler stadium but remember your brief is going to have to explain why you picked X material for Y job and why not Z etc etc etc etc.... there's gonna be a lot of work in it but it really would look pretty damn good if you get it done

131.jpg
    _1493153_arthur_ashe_outside.jpg
    maybe do a simpler stadium that has no roof and is generally squarer like the Arthur Ashe stadium here... no rounded walls or roof needed so no tedious work needed to get the walls done

and it's still completely different -that'd be my suggestion

best of luck with whatever you do anyways

tomtom101 wrote: »
    HA!! Got the pic up!! :D:D:D ... Mine was eazy enough to build nd got me the grade:):):)!!!

Looks a very good project well done! :)

emirates_stadium1.jpg

Wow wouldnt advise it or have the balls to try it myself but really would look amazing if done well! Let us no if you end up doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cathald04

Emm my dad teaches this subject and i have seen a fair few projects and stuff . But a good one i have seen is a model of a foundation and a wall with radon barrier , concrete, dpc, insulation the rock. Another idea that i have had is that water tower on the m50 cause it contains a hyperbola and construction teachers love of such shapes

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Dragonmanirl

Is anybody here doing anything about renewable energy, im doing construction but keeping my project a sworn secret, a friend in my class is doing solar panals and wondering how many of you are doing something along those lines?? p.s anybody who attempts a stadium, i wish you look, both in your project, write up and sanity :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Only starting construction this year (am a repeat:() and I was wondering what to do my project on?? My new teacher is a bit lazy and told me to do the historical one because its very little construction and a lot of writing up. Liked the idea as I have no experience in construction until he told me that what people do that dont have a clue do!! Now I dont want to do it because I fear the examiner will think the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

THFC wrote: »
    Only starting construction this year (am a repeat:() and I was wondering what to do my project on?? My new teacher is a bit lazy and told me to do the historical one because its very little construction and a lot of writing up. Liked the idea as I have no experience in construction until he told me that what people do that dont have a clue do!! Now I dont want to do it because I fear the examiner will think the same way.

I had no woodwork experience whatsoever when I took up the subject for the LC. I had a sh1t teacher in 5th year who literally did nothing with us. By the time it came round to doing projects in 6th year I still had no woodwork experience at allll, so for my project I made the simplest thing I could think of - a model of a house! It was pretty much little bricks of MDF glued together, with a really good paintjob! That, along with a brutal day-practical, & a half decent written paper got me a B!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Shane101

ajjmk wrote: »
    I had no woodwork experience whatsoever when I took up the subject for the LC. I had a sh1t teacher in 5th year who literally did nothing with us. By the time it came round to doing projects in 6th year I still had no woodwork experience at allll, so for my project I made the simplest thing I could think of - a model of a house! It was pretty much little bricks of MDF glued together, with a really good paintjob! That, along with a brutal day-practical, & a half decent written paper got me a B!

What level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Shane101 wrote: »
    What level?

Higher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

emirates_stadium1.jpg

I honestly think you are joking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Furniture does not have to be amazing to get a good score. I think ye are asking for hardship doing the projects you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jonaldinho

For my project I'm making a scale model of my house. It's going well but I'm stumped with the decision of what to use to give off the impression of slates on my roof. I could use cardboard strips and paint them but I was wondering does anyone have any other suitable suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

Use modelling card, you will get it in any art supplies store.
    Then mark out the slate on the card in pencil.
    Once you have done this score along the lines with a Stanley knife but do not cut the whole way through.
    Then paint the card.
    When the paint dries the scores on the card will raise up giving the impression of slates.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Trev64

Hey Jonaldinho,
    I suggest that you use breakfast cereal boxes - the grey inside surface.

Mark a grid on the card - for example horizontal lines 12mm apart and vertical lines 8mm apart. Cut it into 12mm strips. Then cut along each 8mm line - only cut 8mm in length leave the last 4mm. The effect is like a row of teeth/gums.

Paint them next. When they're dry, glue them onto the roof - start at the eaves - ensure the 4mm part of each strip is overlapped by the row above so that only the 8mm 'slates' are seen.

The actual size you use for the grid depends on the scale of your model - the above sizes would suit a model scale 1:100.
    Trevor

P.S. See the attached photo so an example of a student's version of this.
    www.constructionstudies.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mullenman93

i am making a model cottage and i am getting it hard to find it hard to find something that would look like a thatched roof..any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

Might just throw this up.

Model house here also. Ready to render the outside wall soon, heard that sand and house paint mixed is usually the way to go, but tried it out on a small bit of ply and didnt look great tbh. Any other ideas or am i just doing it wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mullenman93

well how do you create your own post on this all i can do is reply

I've helped students with this several times over the years... the bad news is - it's difficult; the good news is - it's not impossible. Overall I have had the best results using natural bristle from an exterior masonry paintbrush. The sort of brush that's about 100mm wide and has long light brown coloured bristle.

Start by cutting it all off the brush - keep it in line though - don't let it fall into an untidy pile! Then cut 15mm wide strips of cereal box. Use All Purpose Glue to glue the bristle to the card so you have what looks like a long mustache.

When you have several strips ready you can start gluing them to the roof of the model. Start at the eaves - ensure the second row completely hides the cardboard on the first row - and so on...

For the ridge glue the bristle to the card so that the card is in a line down the middle of the bristles. When the glue has dried bend the card in the middle along its length - then glue it to the ridgeline.

Look at the example in the attached photo - this was made by a student of mine in UL. He used heavier 'thatch' but you should use the paintbrush bristle- it's a better scale material.

Griffen262 wrote: »
    Might just throw this up.

Model house here also. Ready to render the outside wall soon, heard that sand and house paint mixed is usually the way to go, but tried it out on a small bit of ply and didnt look great tbh. Any other ideas or am i just doing it wrong?

That method works - the sand needs to be very fine and dry though. Some people are fond of the 'spray on stone' paint but I'm not. Can't see how you could marks for using that - it's what I call a 'bought in solution'.

I prefer a compromise. You can buy a 'texture paint'. It's a white gritty paint that is best applied using a wide pallet knife or a piece of stiff card. Then yo paint over this to get the colour you want. It's a little easier than using sand and paint

Alternatively, use sand and PVA glue (normal wood glue) apply a fine coat of glue, sprinkle on the sand, allow to dry overnight and then paint it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

Trev64 wrote: »
    That method works - the sand needs to be very fine and dry though. Some people are fond of the 'spray on stone' paint but I'm not. Can't see how you could marks for using that - it's what I call a 'bought in solution'.

I prefer a compromise. You can buy a 'texture paint'. It's a white gritty paint that is best applied using a wide pallet knife or a piece of stiff card. Then yo paint over this to get the colour you want. It's a little easier than using sand and paint

Alternatively, use sand and PVA glue (normal wood glue) apply a fine coat of glue, sprinkle on the sand, allow to dry overnight and then paint it.

Great! Thanks for that...love your book by the way :pac:

Advertisement