Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies project (merged)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Trev64

Thanks :) if you like the book, you might like my new solutions: http://bit.ly/e5TlVH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

So the deadline is the 29th, but I take it everybody will be on easter holidays so they have to be in on friday. Im making a rabbit hutch and im not nearly finished, have my brief pretty much done tho. I need to do the roof for it, 2 small doors for the front and just nail the floor of it on so i guess it wont take that long.

So is everyone finished or nearly finished ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Nearly finished.

Ive got a good bit of painting to to do, but yeah...Thats all I have left to do. I am doing my project on an eco friendly house. My model is a scaled down house with different energy saving building methods in it.

Also I thought the deadline was May 6th ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Nearly finished.

Ive got a good bit of painting to to do, but yeah...Thats all I have left to do. I am doing my project on an eco friendly house. My model is a scaled down house with different energy saving building methods in it.

Also I thought the deadline was May 6th ?
    Im fairly sure deadline was the 6th too, probly just your teacher lying to avoid the last day rush.

see here
    TimeTable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Yeh I read that on the internet but hes still insisting on having them in by tomorrow :/
    We come back on the 3rd and they dont have to be back till the 6th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

THFC wrote: »
    Only starting construction this year (am a repeat:() and I was wondering what to do my project on?? My new teacher is a bit lazy and told me to do the historical one because its very little construction and a lot of writing up. Liked the idea as I have no experience in construction until he told me that what people do that dont have a clue do!! Now I dont want to do it because I fear the examiner will think the same way.

PEOPLE your project is corrected by your teacher as the education system here believe that they can provide a better grade to you as they know how much work and effort was put into the project.

Is anybody here doing anything about renewable energy, im doing construction but keeping my project a sworn secret, a friend in my class is doing solar panals and wondering how many of you are doing something along those lines?? p.s anybody who attempts a stadium, i wish you look, both in your project, write up and sanity :D

my project is on energy in the home. but mainly focuses on heat energy like underfloor heating and insulation and whatever.
    P.S. you will gain more marks as lng as you accomplish what you are trying to make. that is what they want to see. and use plenty of pictures as evidence you did the project.

are yere porfolios big? i dont have much of mine done so i have to do it all now?

Griffen262 wrote: »
    Might just throw this up.

Model house here also. Ready to render the outside wall soon, heard that sand and house paint mixed is usually the way to go, but tried it out on a small bit of ply and didnt look great tbh. Any other ideas or am i just doing it wrong?

hello mr griffen,
    the method trevor described there works very well but also you should try using a thin coat of pollyfiller on your walls. this is delicate work but gives a great finish, when the pollyfiller is spread on the wall dab with a small piece of sponge to give it the rendered plaster effect (maybe let it dry a little before doing so) i think filler is €3.65 it doesnt cost much. just a lot of patience and time.
    Best of luck,
    Ruairi.

Ive got a fair bit done on mine, but I need to do more...

• Advertisement

Well I am a construction studies student and Im just trying to improve my brief over the easter while I have time. I was hoping to get my hands on some of the previous marking schemes for the project/brief but I cant seem to find them online.

Would anybody be ale to help me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

What do you mean your teacher corrects them

C__MC wrote: »

State Examiner corrects them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

C__MC wrote: »
    Your teacher grades your project. An external examiner then comes in and looks at the marks given by your teacher and can change them accordingly.

clonadlad wrote: »
    Your teacher grades your project. An external examiner then comes in and looks at the marks given by your teacher and can change them accordingly.

Are you sure ? that seems a strange way of doing it. As far as I knew an examiner comes in and goes through each project individually

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Yes the examiner does look at every project but your teacher grades everyone first and then the examiner does his business at a later stage. A bit crazy really. I'm not sure if they do this in engineering or anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

clonadlad wrote: »
    Yes the examiner does look at every project but your teacher grades everyone first and then the examiner does his business at a later stage. A bit crazy really. I'm not sure if they do this in engineering or anything else.

It's the same for Ag science. I don't really see the logic behind itTBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It's apparently for fair marking because your teacher will know if you bothered with it or not, so it's based on effort as well as technical skills.

Advertisement