Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anyone ever trade in a RROD Xbox?

• 05-09-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

I was going to trade it in against a slim, but it got a RROD this week. Do they test them before they accept them or whats the story?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Yes they will test it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Yes they will test it!

my bro had to buy a new xbox a few weeks ago cos of this, he bought a used one and the turned it on when he got home and it went red-ring!

Someone must have towel heated it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Kanney wrote: »
    I was going to trade it in against a slim, but it got a RROD this week. Do they test them before they accept them or whats the story?

Hope they refuse to give it back to you too once they test it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

johnn wrote: »
    my bro had to buy a new xbox a few weeks ago cos of this, he bought a used one and the turned it on when he got home and it went red-ring!

Someone must have towel heated it!

Did he bring it back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

There is never a good excuse to do something like that OP. I'm unemployed and it took me 3 months to save enough pennies to get a new console after mine went belly up, if I could do it so can you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I just hate to get absolutely zero for it, now its just a ****in paperweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

You will get few bobs on Adverts.ie for it, just be honest and say that you're selling broken xbox

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Did he bring it back?

Yeah brought it back and got a new one, i think they gave them one of them chargers for the controller for his troubles, still fairly annoying going back into town for it whilst carrying around an x-box.

the worrying thing is how common the problem is & they only gave a 3-month warranty meaning it cud red-ring by x-mas and we wont have a console to play any new games we get by then if it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Yeah brought it back and got a new one, i think they gave them one of them chargers for the controller for his troubles, still fairly annoying going back into town for it whilst carrying around an x-box.

the worrying thing is how common the problem is & they only gave a 3-month warranty meaning it cud red-ring by x-mas and we wont have a console to play any new games we get by then if it goes
    did you buy it in a shop or off an individual? if bought instore (doesn't matter what store), it has a year's warranty regardless of anything they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Bought a Slim and brought my old (working) Xbox to be traded in. When they tested it, it had RROD'd :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭antocann

Jev/N wrote: »
    Bought a Slim and brought my old (working) Xbox to be traded in. When they tested it, it had RROD'd :mad:

if it didnt have it before that and there was a hd it prob wasnt conected properly

antocann wrote: »
    if it didnt have it before that and there was a hd it prob wasnt conected properly

Tried it in two different shops, both had the same issue having checked cables and all. Probably loosened it carrying it into town to trade in. Still, I got a decent amount of credit for the controllers and HDD

Jev/N wrote: »
    Tried it in two different shops, both had the same issue having checked cables and all. Probably loosened it carrying it into town to trade in. Still, I got a decent amount of credit for the controllers and HDD

How much? How big was your HDD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

If its only RROD would you not contact MS and have it repaired, on another note how much are they offering on a trade in ?

Only offering 60euro. Mine is a Pro, 20GB. Although I'm thinking I might get something for the Wireless Adapter which I won't need under the Wifi in the slim.

bennyc wrote: »
    If its only RROD would you not contact MS and have it repaired, on another note how much are they offering on a trade in ?

Do MS pay for the cost of postage of the console, id imagine its pricey enough, how long before they get it back to you?

Someone said the warranty is a year on the one i bought, are you sure of that seeing as though it was 2nd hand one i bought, and yes it was from a gamestop store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Do MS pay for the cost of postage of the console, id imagine its pricey enough, how long before they get it back to you?

Someone said the warranty is a year on the one i bought, are you sure of that seeing as though it was 2nd hand one i bought, and yes it was from a gamestop store

Yep, MS takes care of the shipping cost.
    Mine rrod'ed a few weeks ago. Took 10 working days but no money to have it fixed.
    Receive a month Gold membership for the troubles as well.

It shouldnt happen on this scale but at least they take proper care of the problem once it occurs.

inforfun wrote: »
    Mine rrod'ed a few weeks ago. Took 10 working days but no money to have it fixed.

It shouldnt happen on this scale but at least they take proper care of the problem once it occurs.

Do you have to have a receipt or proof of purchase for this? I think my broken one was bought on credit card about 2 1/2 years ago, so id have to look up the account history

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Only offering 60euro. Mine is a Pro, 20GB. Although I'm thinking I might get something for the Wireless Adapter which I won't need under the Wifi in the slim.

Where is it that's offering you that? I've a 20 and a 60 (LONG story!!) and kind of half-thinking about trading one in for a slim. Haven't really looked at prices for trade-ins just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Do you have to have a receipt or proof of purchase for this? I think my broken one was bought on credit card about 2 1/2 years ago, so id have to look up the account history

I had a 4 year old one bought on release day and it had changed hands three times, my brother was going to bin it as the cd drive was screwed and it did a rrod the odd time, I called them and asked would the log it for three red lights, no reciept and no problem they sent a replacement, the replacment was niosey so we sent that back too and got a perfect one. Be nice on the phone and they will look after the three red lights

Where is it that's offering you that? I've a 20 and a 60 (LONG story!!) and kind of half-thinking about trading one in for a slim. Haven't really looked at prices for trade-ins just yet.

You could try donedeal and a few of the other places, the price on adverts is dropped for a second hand console but adverts is in more favor to the buyers imo. I was able to get 125 each for two consoles and a few games so have 250 to play with for a slim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

yes, for used goods sold by a store, you get a one year guarantee
    The directive calls for
    · a guarantee of at least 2 years for new goods (or longer if the Member State wishes) where the seller will undertake without extra charge to reimburse the price paid or to replace and/or repair consumer goods if they do not meet the specifications set out in the guarantee statement or relevant advertising.
    · a guarantee of at least one year for used goods (except those sold by a private seller)
    taken from: http://www.wak-tt.com/tt/2yearwarranty1.htm

for new goods, a 2 year guarantee exists.
    it has to be an inherent fault in the product (which RROD is) so you can bring it back to the retailer (not the manufacturer) and they will be obliged to give you a refund or pay for the repairs.
    little known EU directive but a handy one :)

GAME.

Went in today and told them RROD, how much for the HDD.
    Tenner. Scam artists. Sell them for 90 then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Did just go on xbox.com and registered the xbox there only after it rrod'ed.
    It was over 2 years old and it showed up being out of warranty but still inside the rrrod waranty. Never had to give a pop.

How much? How big was your HDD?

€12 - 20 GB HDD
    €15 - Each Controller

I was only going to get about €60 for the lot with the console so it wasn't too bad without!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

inforfun wrote: »

you only get two weeks as the other two weeks the xbox is off travelling the world

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mksbart1948

Fixing RROD cost me 14 euro (for plastic washers and thermal compound) and took about half an hour. Just check youtube for video 'how-to' - it's very hard to go wrong :) Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

Microsoft will replace it if its still under guarantee 3 year warranty they send it back to Germany Bosch with ups they collect from your house just once the warranty sticker is still on it it you register it on Microsoft website thats what i did :) and you get a refurbished jasper board :)

Advertisement