Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to dole or not to dole

Options
  • 05-09-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

hi i am 23 years old, thinking of going back to college next year, it will be the first year i will be eligible for the mature student lark. i am working at the moment but am thinking of going on the dole within time (not sure if it is six months or 9) so i can get the dole going back to college, i heard that its dole or mature student grant from now on, but dont really know the full story, also im thinkin of moving to dublin, what is the rent bracket i should be under to get rent allowance, also how long would that take. i would like to know my options, would love to do college without having to work at the weekends, and for a grant since im 23 would i be means tested on myself or my parents income

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Personally (which I actually did do before starting college), I'd keep working and saving for the year so you will have a good amount of savings to keep you going next year. Then work every summer to keep the funds going, if you don't want to work during the weekend.

I'm not sure exactly how much renting in Dublin would cost but depends on how many you're sharing with. Probably looking at €350-550 depends on the area.

Yes, if you are living at home you will be means tested with your parents income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

As far as I know, you have to be on the dole for 12months to get the BETA. Also if you try to sign onto the dole after quiting your job you wont be entitled to it, theres something about having to wait a month or two if you voluntarily quit your job. (not sure on the exact details, but theres def something about if you quit your job).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rlow68

hi i am 23 years old, thinking of going back to college next year, it will be the first year i will be eligible for the mature student lark. i am working at the moment but am thinking of going on the dole within time (not sure if it is six months or 9) so i can get the dole going back to college, i heard that its dole or mature student grant from now on, but dont really know the full story, also im thinkin of moving to dublin, what is the rent bracket i should be under to get rent allowance, also how long would that take. i would like to know my options, would love to do college without having to work at the weekends, and for a grant since im 23 would i be means tested on myself or my parents income

Go to you Social Welfare and talk to the Facilitator or anybody who can help, because if you work till admission time next year, you are not going to be entitled to anything, because it stated on their requirement you must be out of work for 9 months, if I am not mistaken, so my advice will be go and see those who are in charge to interpret the rules to you. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you resign from a job you don't get dole for 9 weeks

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ROCE1977

If you get sacked you can sign on straight away. Thats another option. Just turn up late or keep missing time you'll soon get the sack. Wait a minute... I done that in my last job for 12 years and never got sacked?
    Looks like punching the boss then! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 rlow68

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    If you resign from a job you don't get dole for 9 weeks

and if he work till next admission, also he will not qualify for BTEA, but I am not sure of the rules re the grant.

Advertisement