Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job vs Life

Options
  • 05-09-2010 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

I was wondering how some of you guys manage to hold down a job on weekends and still play sport.:confused:
    I know training etc is during the week for soccer and gaelic but what do people do when they have a job but matches at weekend or are some matches during the week?
    I know it prob comes down to a choice between the two but I'd like to know what other people in a similar situation do:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Anyone that I've known that has tried, has failed. There's only so many hours in the day. I guess if you found an evening weekend job you could manage it but would that be even worth your while (if you don't work evenings on weekdays)? Last year I worked in Dunnes and between that, college and going out I had a hard time fitting in sports. Team sports were out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

I was wondering how some of you guys manage to hold down a job on weekends and still play sport.:confused:
    I know training etc is during the week for soccer and gaelic but what do people do when they have a job but matches at weekend or are some matches during the week?
    I know it prob comes down to a choice between the two but I'd like to know what other people in a similar situation do:)

Ah it worked out ok for me last year!its a bit hectic!I was working evenings during the week and mornings on weekends!Then id ask well in advance for days off for any big match or tournament and they'd usually oblige and switch me to evenings on the weekend or just give me the day off.Sometimes you just have to miss a match or 2!Unless your boss is really nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

Dave1711 wrote: »
    Ah it worked out ok for me last year!its a bit hectic!I was working evenings during the week and mornings on weekends!Then id ask well in advance for days off for any big match or tournament and they'd usually oblige and switch me to evenings on the weekend or just give me the day off.Sometimes you just have to miss a match or 2!Unless your boss is really nice

Id find that pretty annoying missing matches despite training and then coaches being annoyed by unavailability...
    the fact that a lot of people go home weekends makes we wonder why matches are schedueled at weekends. Would you or anyone else for that matter get such enjoyment out of your sport that not playing matches wouldnt matter to you. (now I know how substitutes feel:rolleyes:)

Id find that pretty annoying missing matches despite training and then coaches being annoyed by unavailability...
    the fact that a lot of people go home weekends makes we wonder why matches are schedueled at weekends. Would you or anyone else for that matter get such enjoyment out of your sport that not playing matches wouldnt matter to you. (now I know how substitutes feel:rolleyes:)

Well ya its annoying but its near impossible to have college work and sport fitting together fine!
    But if you playing with colleges they understand that your gonna have other priorities at times.
    And i do get a hell of a lot of enjoyment out of my sport ha..it does matter to me but in the you just have to get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

Dave1711 wrote: »
    Well ya its annoying but its near impossible to have college work and sport fitting together fine!
    But if you playing with colleges they understand that your gonna have other priorities at times.
    And i do get a hell of a lot of enjoyment out of my sport ha..it does matter to me but in the you just have to get over it

So basically its a compromise.
    Was wondering is it a bit weird though to enjoy training and know you cant play that week and will the others wonder what this lune is at? :D
    thanks for the reply btw

• Advertisement

So basically its a compromise.
    Was wondering is it a bit weird though to enjoy training and know you cant play that week and will the others wonder what this lune is at? :D
    thanks for the reply btw

haha yeah i suppose its a bit like that:p
    No bother :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Wanted to play rugby last year but trainings clashed with labs and gym sessions were always on during lectures, its just so hard to fit both without losing out! In the end I chose college...

Advertisement