Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a limerick candidate in the next election

• 05-09-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭

can we not have an ind candidate in the next general election, some one with the interests of the region at heart, not some political party, when is the last time we heard a local td fight for us on cloud 9 (the dail), independants will again hold the balance of power, look what they have achived in dublin, galway, north tipp and kerry, we should have enough of the yes boss tds by now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

We can, there are usually a good few independents running for election the problem is who's willing to go out and canvass for them.

Who would you suggest we should elect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

i havent a clue as i am out in the boonies, one should be found asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

flutered wrote: »
    independants will again hold the balance of power,

How so? If Labour/FG form a coalition the independents will be irrelevant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Aesop wrote: »

Well FF have been desperate for Limerick city & county, so any change is welcome.

funnily enough they seem to have a habit of looseing them, i am not saying that they will, what is wrong with having some one to fight our corner, how come every one limerick has elected fights only for a political party, WE HAVE TO START some where, some time, why not now, when did we last hear any one argueing in the dail for our city, our county, our region. they just take the money and keep quite.

• Advertisement

No argument for me on the motivation behind what you are both suggesting but it seems to me you have to unfortunately got to one of two ways.

1. Prioritize political reform. Moving away from big party politics. Tackle issues around corruption, political donations, electoral reform.This has to be a national driven issue. I don't see how un-coordinated independent candidates are in a position to do this. Independent candidates will only drive local issues and a big issue like political reform is outside their abilities. Maybe a new political party too new to be tainted by "the system".

2. Prioritise local issues. Best way to do this is within the confines of the current system because that is the only game in town and that is not going to change any time soon. Basically back the winner of the big party game i.e. vote for candidates that will have a voice within the party and preferably within cabinet. I know people will use Willie O'Dea as an example of how this doesn't work but I'm afraid there is no other way.

No argument for me on the motivation behind what you are both suggesting but it seems to me you have to unfortunately got to one of two ways.

1. Prioritize political reform. Moving away from big party politics. Tackle issues around corruption, political donations, electoral reform.This has to be a national driven issue. I don't see how un-coordinated independent candidates are in a position to do this. Independent candidates will only drive local issues and a big issue like political reform is outside their abilities. Maybe a new political party too new to be tainted by "the system".

2. Prioritise local issues. Best way to do this is within the confines of the current system because that is the only game in town and that is not going to change any time soon. Basically back the winner of the big party game i.e. vote for candidates that will have a voice within the party and preferably within cabinet. I know people will use Willie O'Dea as an example of how this doesn't work but I'm afraid there is no other way.
    so fintan o toole, tony gregory, ml lowrey etc have achived nothing for their constintuncys, yeah right ted.

Well Ted, Fintan O'Toole has never had to deliver to his constituents because he's never been in public office. Michael Lowry and Tony Gregory are perfect examples of independent TD's who hold/held a balance of power in a coalition government and could essential hold a government to ransom for local issues. Take away their positions in government and they couldn't deliver a pedestrian crossing to their local constituents. Do you think independents will be a part of the next government?

Well Ted, Fintan O'Toole has never had to deliver to his constituents because he's never been in public office. Michael Lowry and Tony Gregory are perfect examples of independent TD's who hold/held a balance of power in a coalition government and could essential hold a government to ransom for local issues. Take away their positions in government and they couldn't deliver a pedestrian crossing to their local constituents. Do you think independents will be a part of the next government?

it does not matter if the independants hold the balance of power or not, why not give a wake up call to the comfortable crowd, the independants may not be required this term, they may be the term after, so can we not be prepared,why are you trying to knock change, some posters are trying to make sure the boat is not rocked i wonder why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Independent TDs espouse everything that's wrong with national politics in Ireland. Holding the whole country to ransom over an issue that should be dealth with in a county council chamber!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I'll do it, but ye have to pay for my posters. that sh1t ain't cheap.

zuroph wrote: »
    I'll do it, but ye have to pay for my posters. that sh1t ain't cheap.

Well if you are well known, in the right age bracket, have a good understanding of economics, know about the issues facing Limerick maybe some of us could fund you. I would say you would have a fair chance of success.

liammur wrote: »
    Well if you are well known, in the right age bracket, have a good understanding of economics, know about the issues facing Limerick maybe some of us could fund you. I would say you would have a fair chance of success.

Whats the right bracket? I'd have a reasonable understanding of economics, and know where to get my impartial advice on the stuff I need help on. Top of my list is the stuff our current guys ignored, Shannon Airport, and employment. speed up of the council amalgamation, and a pushing forward of infrastructure which is sorely lacking in the area and reduces chances of attracting jobs.

Whats the right bracket? I'd have a reasonable understanding of economics, and know where to get my impartial advice on the stuff I need help on. Top of my list is the stuff our current guys ignored, Shannon Airport, and employment. speed up of the council amalgamation, and a pushing forward of infrastructure which is sorely lacking in the area and reduces chances of attracting jobs.

I would say the electorate will go for younger politicians next time around so maybe in the 30-40 age bracket.
    Are there many members on boards.ie?

Ill be 28. and, yeah, there'd be quite a few on boards.

Labour reckon there will be an election around the turn of the year. It would be interesting to see what other members on these boards think of the idea as running as an Independent and what are their main concerns/issues facing them. Probably a good sample of the population as a whole. I often post on the economy thread and that is what I find.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Independent TDs espouse everything that's wrong with national politics in Ireland. Holding the whole country to ransom over an issue that should be dealth with in a county council chamber!

just like aherne, burke, the flynns, calley, no siree they do not do any of thet schit, take off the dff tinted glasses.

How much would it cost for an Independant to run in an election?

i dunno, but if one is a teacher they get a donation from the teachers union, if any other profession does the same i do not know.

Im sure we could save a few bob getting my posters done for cash ;)

• Advertisement

Im sure we could save a few bob getting my posters done for cash ;)

If we could get a good few to give a small contribution say in the region of €200 each?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ninty9er wrote: »

Interesting, considering the amount of independents that FF is bribing to keep themselves in power........last time I looked it included the disgraced and evicted-from-FG Michael Lowry.

Also interesting considering that a vote for a party doesn't allow the candidate to vote with their conscience due to the ridiculous party whip.

Re the OP, I'm tempted to run myself but I don't think I'd put up with playing politics or the amount of ridiculous bull**** that goes on.....I've been told I'm to ethical and honest!

liammur wrote: »
    If we could get a good few to give a small contribution say in the region of €200 each?

presumeably if one went about it properly one might come across a printer or others who may be glad of change, one may get in political terms a dig out.:)

Advertisement