Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone recommend me a new Modem or even Router?

• 05-09-2010 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I got a new THOMSON Wireless modem/router from Smart as I was having connection problems, but I am losing signal in different rooms which is something I never experienced.

Also even though i am on a 5mb package, I will only get 3mb max in any room besides where modem is where I get 4.5mb...

Any ideas to upgrade too that people know are reliable and will corrct the poor speed issues??

Dont want anything too fancy just a reliable modem/router, or even router, that wil give me decent speed all over the house not just in one room

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

WRT54G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

+1 for the WRT54G but to keep your life simple, go for the WRT54GL for €50, which is very simple to re-flash with better 3rd party firmware. some of the cheaper models (the're loads of them) of the WRT54G aren't compatible with 3rd party firmwares and the stock linksys firmware isn't exactly stellar.

i know it sounds complicated, but it's really not at all and takes less than 5 minutes. there's loads of step by step guides on the internet of how to do it.

one of the other advantages of the WRT54G routers is removable (and replaceable) antenna, so if you still have signal problems you can buy some monster antenna off ebay for a few quid and stick them on it to get a much better signal around your house. :)

that said, i have one sitting in a wooden cabinet under my tv and i can get a decent signal all over the (4 bedroom) house and in the back garden with just the standard antenna and have actually turned the wifi power down a little so as not to broadcast to everyone on the street. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Sounds good lads.. Thanks for the info!!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

sorry once more question.. isnt N grade Wirless better than G ? or is it the oppoiste

sorry for stupid question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

I've got the Netgear DGN2000..n range...300mbps...bout €100 .
    I'd highly recommend it. The signal is stronger in my house than what it was before with the smart modem and intellinet n router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Modem : Netgear DG834 or any variation thereof, including a DGN2000. These will hold a connection where pretty much nothing else will.

Router: Linksys WRT54G (any variation thereof which is upgradable with DD-WRT, which I think means anything except version 7.0)

There are sound reasons for having a separate modem and wireless router.

I can't remember what they are. ;-)

E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

savic04 wrote: »
    sorry once more question.. isnt N grade Wirless better than G ? or is it the oppoiste

sorry for stupid question
    the wireless N standard is faster than G, but you need to have a compatible wireless N card or dongle in your desktop and laptop PC's to take advantage of it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

I'm probably gonna sell my netgear dgn2000 as I just switched to UPC and it's no good to me anymore. It's 2 wks old!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

I was using a Netgear DG834n for awhile and used the custom firmware from http://dgteam.ilbello.com/ and found it excellent

• Advertisement
Advertisement