Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible overheating Problem, all help appreciated.

Options
  • 05-09-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

FOlks,

A colleague of mine bought a machine for audio production with the following spec:

Intel Core I7 2.66GHz with 120mm fan
    Gigabyte UD3A,
    3GB DDR3 1333MHz Corsair
    320GB OS drive
    500GB Audio drive
    530W Seasonic PSU
    HD3450 ATI dual ouput silent cooling
    DVD R/RW
    19" Rack case with acoustic insulation
    Windows XP Home

He set it up as a dual boot machine with Windows 7 as well as XP. He's been getting a load of blue screens in W7 and the machine just freezes in XP.

Apparently the blue screen tells him that there's a problem with his ATI card. To add to this, he ran a check on his memory and one of the Dimms turned out to be completely knackered and was replaced. He told me that he's running a dual monitor setup on the 3450 (one by DVI, the other by VGA) @ 1280*1024 or 1024*768.

I personally think that the video card isn't up to running a dual monitor setup and the heat output from the card is causing problems or damaging the Ram (particularly given that the case is insulated). Can anyone offer an opinion on the information given?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Rael wrote: »
    FOlks,

A colleague of mine bought a machine for audio production with the following spec:

Intel Core I7 2.66GHz with 120mm fan
    Gigabyte UD3A,
    3GB DDR3 1333MHz Corsair
    320GB OS drive
    500GB Audio drive
    530W Seasonic PSU
    HD3450 ATI dual ouput silent cooling
    DVD R/RW
    19" Rack case with acoustic insulation
    Windows XP Home

He set it up as a dual boot machine with Windows 7 as well as XP. He's been getting a load of blue screens in W7 and the machine just freezes in XP.

Apparently the blue screen tells him that there's a problem with his ATI card. To add to this, he ran a check on his memory and one of the Dimms turned out to be completely knackered and was replaced. He told me that he's running a dual monitor setup on the 3450 (one by DVI, the other by VGA) @ 1280*1024 or 1024*768.

I personally think that the video card isn't up to running a dual monitor setup and the heat output from the card is causing problems or damaging the Ram (particularly given that the case is insulated). Can anyone offer an opinion on the information given?
    It could be the the gfx alright since a passive card in a soundproofed case - not much airflow. Though are all the other DIMMS ok?

Download Hardware Monitor and see what the temps are like at idle/load.

Advertisement