Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roman Catholic Christening in Church??

Options
  • 05-09-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all - Do you have to have your child christened in a church in Ireland or are there any other ways? I saw a beach christening once oversees and I thought it was a really nice touch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

You can have a naming ceremony anywhere you choose. AFAIK the actual christening part must be done in a church though, if you do want a RC one that is. The baptismal font is a key part of a RC baptism.

Don't see why you couldn't combine the two though? Have the church bit and afterward have your own naming ceremony where you want.

I orginally wanted to do this, have the church bit and then have a gathering in my garden, plant a tree and welcome the little one to the family. I had a problem with the time of year however, garden parties in Dec don't do so well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Shelli2 wrote: »
    AFAIK the actual christening part must be done in a church though, if you do want a RC one that is.

The actual font is not important AFAIK. Only that there is water involved (to symbolise the cleansing of original sin).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Don't for get the chrism for the anointing part of the baptism.

A RC priest can do a baptism anywhere, you just need to find one who will accommodate what you want.

Advertisement