Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wondering why i cant get pregnant

Options
  • 05-09-2010 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all, quick question...

I've been hoping to get pregnant for a couple of years...have never really used the pill at any stage of my sex life except just for a short while but for some reason knew there was no need, and i've also tested for sti's and the usual smears...

I get my period every month religiously... got my doctor to check my blood etc and all my hormone levels are fine and we have a very regular sex life and i'm healthy otherwise...no particular tummy pains either...

what could be the problem here?

I know that the next step would be for my partner to get tested but i doubt he is the problem... i have an instinct from long before i met him...

We are struggling financially and really can't afford fertility tests etc, wondering if you can check this kind of thing on a medical card? ( don't blast me for wanting to get preggers during a hard financial time... i have no intention of waiting until we're financially secure, we'll be well past it by then... ;-), i don't think i'll have a choice anyway cos don't think it will happen...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Maybe you could try charting your cycle. Just because you are having regular sex does not mean that you are necessarily having sex at the right time. Your fertile window is very small and just a day too late can mean the difference between getting pregnant and not.

Charting doesn't have to be expensive either. You could invest in a good thermometer (if you have a baby you'll probably want to have one in the house anyway) and take your temperature every morning to see when you get the rise in basal body temperature. You can also track your cervical mucous (gross I know but needs must so they say!) If you want to go down the ovulation testing route you can buy in bulk on the internet. Have a look at the website called 'fertility friend' for more tips and advice.

There are a few girls on here that know more than I do (detectivfoxtrot, may79, barbiegirl) who can probably help you out a little more.

As for thinking that you won't conceive, I think every woman who has made the decision to have a baby has thought this. I know I certainly did!

Oh and definately don't think that anyone on here is gonna slag you for wanting a baby in a harsh financial climate, we all understand that the desire to start a family goes much deeper than being financially secure. You'll find nothing but support from us :)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

I second everything CCL said.

Check out fertilityfriend.com, there is free charting software on there (to be part of the message boards is subscrition based but you don't need that, you can post your issues and concerns here for free!!:) )
    On FertilityFriend there is also an Charting Course, you can take this for free, and in no time you will be an expert re what signs to look for etc.

Believe it or not it can be tricky enough to get pregnant, even when both people have good fertility health. theres a five day 'fertile window' but realistically you have a day or two to 'hit the target'. An egg survives only 12 to 24 hours.

A couple of basic pointers, if you are obese this could be the problem, start to eat healthy and try and drop a few pounds, I've hears so many people say this worked for them.

Google "SMEP" (Sperm Meets Egg Plan). It's a plan to make sure you 'cover all your bases' re intercourse timing.

Buy some cheap ovulation tests online. eBay is great. You can get about 20 tests for €5, much cheaper that local chemist. The bigger your order (I ordered 100 recently) the cheaper it'll be.

As CCL said invest in a thermometer, again they are about €8 on eBay, Temping isn't for everyone mind but you could give it a go.

If after 6 months of charting, knowing your body and cycle, and proving to yourself that you are timing intercourse correctly, and you have no success, then a trip to the doctor would probably be the next step.

good luck to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Donegalgal.

A semen analysis isnt actually that expensive, its about €100 from memory. You can have this done in any fertility clinic or I'm sure your GP could arrange. I know you say you dont think your partner has any issue but thats impossible to know. Many people are of the assumption that fertility issues are usually the woman, not the case. There could be issues with the woman, issues with the man, a combination of both or unexplained.

Also for yourself, bloods are a good start but you also need to know that your tubes are open, this can be checked with either a HSG or Lap & dye, again your GP can arrange this.

Best of luck

Advertisement