Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a thing here..alternative to rainbow gear?

Options
  • 05-09-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Maybe this is really stupid, but so I was reading earlier on a gay youth board thats largely American and they were talking about these purple yarn bracelet things. The idea is that instead of wearing rainbow stuff which is very obvious and really ugly to let people know your a lesbian (if you look very straight/have to wear a uniform whatever), you wear one of these things on the left if you're taken and right if you're single and none of the straight people know. I thought this was a really great idea..but I've never seen/heard of it before. Is it just silly and not done here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭GalwayGuy92

I've often though about this for guys too, sure its a good idea in theory but I'd say people would catch on pretty fast. Would be cool to have a subtle marker though that slipped under the radar of the majority of the population.

I'm not 100% on this but I think there was something similar in the states in the 70's with gay men and hankies in their pockets, with different colours representing different activies or something. Could just be an urban legend mind but I've seen it on multiple sites...May even still go on although not many people use handkerchiefs anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

I wear a woven leather bracelet on my right arm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Purple is the colour used by Bisexual people to mark themselves out.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_symbols#Bisexuality_symbols_.E2.80.93_flag.2C_triangles.2C_and_moons

bisexual_not_on_a_fence_button-p145875902173234586q37f_400.jpgBiFlagLapelsmall.jpg

The hanky code is still practice in some bars in the usa.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handkerchief_code

A blue star tattoo has been used by many lesbian women in the last decade, usually on the forearm where it can be hidden for work or wearing a thumb ring on the right hand is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I remember a few years back when those rubber bracelets were all the rage teenagers (of which I was not one, I was already in college) had a system with colours etc meaning they were up for different things a la the wesley dishco. Bless them, they thought they were terribly original, not knowing they were copying an age old gay system!!

I agree that occasionally it would be handy to just look at a thumb ring and 'know' someone was gay, but I always think, what about the girls who are straight but like thumb rings? Unless you announce it to the world there'll always be randomers...

Also, on a side note, rainbow things make my shiver. Bleurgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

zoegh wrote: »

Same here, but I'm not sure what alternatives there are.

I'm involved with the LGBT society in my college, and on the society's registration day we want to decorate our table in an eye-catching way that also lets people know what our society it about.

I'd love to avoid just covering the place in rainbow flags (I know it would put a lot of people off) but at same time have something that shouts 'LGBT'! Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

you can't go wrong with sparkles. k...how about a banner that spells out lgbt in bold black lettering on white background, with sparkles.

or just rob something from the internets.
    lgbt-big-735218.jpg I missed my calling, srsly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

face1990 wrote:
    I'm involved with the LGBT society in my college, and on the society's registration day we want to decorate our table in an eye-catching way that also lets people know what our society it about.

I'd love to avoid just covering the place in rainbow flags (I know it would put a lot of people off) but at same time have something that shouts 'LGBT'! Any suggestions?

Well you have to remember aswell that a lot of freshers, if they are gay, will be terrified of being seen at the LGBT stand. I know I was. Took me til the friday, and multiple walks past to actually do it :rolleyes:. Something slightly toned down I think is better. The students who are super comfortable will seek it out anyway. Plus do LGBT societies really get many spur of the moment joinings?

I think posters (subtle) of same sex couples, or maybe a montage of headlines from recent news stories (like Prop 8, the civil partnerships Bill, etc) on the backboard could be good. Obviously but not horrendous.

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

zxy wrote: »
    you can't go wrong with sparkles. k...how about a banner that spells out lgbt in bold black lettering on white background, with sparkles.

or just rob something from the internets.
    lgbt-big-735218.jpg I missed my calling, srsly.

A lot of first year students might not know what LGBT means!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I silly. What about using gender symbols? y'know like the venus and mars ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.swade.net/gallery/symbols.html

I also like the rhino :)

Purple_Rhino.gif
    Gay activists in Boston chose the purple rhinoceros as a symbol of the gay movement after conducting a media campaign for this purpose (1974), selecting this animal because, although it is sometimes misunderstood, it is really both docile and intelligent – but when a rhinoceros is angered, it fights ferociously. Lavender was used because it was a widely recognized gay pride color and the heart was added to represent love and the "common humanity of all people."

And it's copywrite free.

Or there is Lamda

100px-Lambda-letter-lowercase-symbol.svg.png
    One symbol which continues to remain popular is the lower case Greek letter lambda. The symbol was originally chosen by the Gay Activists Alliance of New York in 1970. The GAA was a group which broke away from the larger Gay Liberation Front at the end of 1969, only six months after its foundation in response to the Stonewall Riots. While the GLF wanted to work side by side with the black and women's liberation movements to gain unity and acceptance, the GAA wanted to focus their efforts more concisely on only Gay and Lesbian issues.

Because of its official adoption by the GAA, which sponsored public events for the gay community, the lambda soon became a quick way for the members of the gay community to identify each other. The reasoning was that the lambda would easily be mistaken for a college fraternity symbol and ignored by the majority of the population. Eventually, though, the GAA headquarters was torched by an arsonist, destroying not only the building but all of the organization's records, and the movement never recovered from the loss. The symbol, however, lived on.

What the symbol means, or meant when it was introduced, has been topic for speculation and a number of rumors. Some of the more popular speculations are:

* Simply, the Greek letter "L" stands for "liberation."
    * The Greek Spartans believed that the lambda represented unity.
    * The Romans took it as meaning "the light of knowledge shining into the darkness of ignorance."
    * The charged energy of the gay movement. This stems from the lambda's use in chemistry and physics to denote energy in equations.
    * The synergy which results when gays and lesbians work together towards a common goal (a gestalt theory which also stems from the physics-energy theory)
    * The notion that straights and gays, or gays and lesbians, or any pairing of these three, are on different wavelengths when it comes to sex, sexuality, or even brain patterns. This again comes from the lambda's presence in chemistry and physics, where it is sometimes used to represent the wavelength of certain types of energy.
    * An iconic rendering of the scales of justice and the constant force that keeps opposing sides from overcoming each other. The hook at the bottom of the right leg would then signify the action and initiative needed to reach and maintain balance.
    * The lambda is also thought by some to have appeared on the shields of Spartan and/or Theban warriors. The Thebes version is more popular because, as legend has it, the city- state organized the Sacred Band of Thebes from groups of idealized lovers, which made them extremely fierce and dedicated warriors. Eventually however, the army was completely decimated by King Philip II, but was later honored by his son Alexander the Great.

The lambda was associated with the Spartans because they were also known as the Lacedaemonians.[4] There is a 1962 Hollywood film called The 300 Spartans starring Diane Baker, Richard Egan, and Ralph Richardson that showed Spartan warriors who appeared to have lambdas on their shields.

Even though at one time it acquired a strictly male connotation,[citation needed] it is used by both gays and lesbians today. Back in December 1974, the lambda was officially declared the international symbol for gay and lesbian rights by the International Gay Rights Congress in Edinburgh, Scotland.[5] Also, the lambda is said to signify unity under oppression.[5] The gay rights organization Lambda Legal and the American Lambda Literary Award derive their names from this symbol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Thaedydal wrote: »

I don't think it would work. The only time I've seen lamda in real life is in Physics. If I glanced at it I'd assume it was a mathsy/physicsy stall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Aoifums wrote: »
    I don't think it would work. The only time I've seen lamda in real life is in Physics. If I glanced at it I'd assume it was a mathsy/physicsy stall.

And mathsy physicsy people would NOT make for a very exciting gay group, even though they're great subjects :P.

I think the purple lgbt thing would be best, you'd have to know what it stood for to join it but it might not dawn on other people. I like the rhino but I'd never know it was a gay sign to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

And mathsy physicsy people would NOT make for a very exciting gay group, even though they're great subjects :P.

You've clearly never met my physics class. The laughs we had!

Actually, I'd join any group with lamda as their sign. But I'm a nerd!
    I like the purple sign the best. Not super flashy but still noticable if you know what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    As a bit of a nerd (and a Half-Life fan), I love the lambda one although its meaning would be lost on most people.

I'm thinking something like the purple 'LGBT' would work well. There is a shocking amount of people who don't know what LGBT stands for, but then the people most likely to join would probably be familiar with it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

zoegh wrote: »

i dated a woman for months before i discovered she had a rainbow flag sticker on the back windscreen of her car !:eek::eek::eek:.........it didn't end well !

Advertisement