Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remotely power on a home server by SMS or phone call?

Options
  • 05-09-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

Has any one any experience with this?

I'd like to be able to SSH tunnel home without having to leave the server running all the time.

It would reduce energy waste and costs, but even more appealing, I think it would be very, very cool :)

There would be no other server running that could be used to power on the SSH server.

Also, I've no landline, and for the moment no interest in getting one in so it would have to be rigged up to a mobile phone or SIM card somehow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

To do it inexpensively, you could get some crappy mobile with a vibrate alert, desolder the motor from the phone's board, and insert a PAYG sim. Then when you text it, the phone should send signal to the motor. You just need a board to take that voltage, and use it in combination with some sort of mains relay to switch the power on.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭IrishB.ie

Set it up to WOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

IrishB.ie wrote: »
    Set it up to WOL.

And how would he issue a WOL packet from outside the LAN?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I have pfSense running on an old laptop has my Firewall, and it comes with a nice WOL forwarder.

Another options is to SSH into your Firewall and have the shell for a special user as your WOL script.
    shanemort wrote: »
    And how would he issue a WOL packet from outside the LAN?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭IrishB.ie

Use something like http://magicpacket.free.fr/ Just make sure you have port 9 forwarded on your router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

WOL packets will be dropped by the first router it hits.
    IrishB.ie wrote: »
    Use something like http://magicpacket.free.fr/ Just make sure you have port 9 forwarded on your router.

Advertisement