Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Extender

Options
  • 05-09-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I'm looking for a wireless extender that has a 4 port hub? I'm using a D LINK DWL-G710 which works very well up to 70 meter but want one that works as well with 4 port hub.

Thanking you in adavnce

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

I assume then that you already have a wireless router to which the extender is connecting? If so then what make/model is it? You might be able to extend the network usdin WDS if you get a similar device.

Do you need the device with the 4-port hub to also further extend the wireless or do you only need the 4-port hub part of it? A device with DD-WRT can connect to a wireless network as a client bridge but you sacrifice the wireless in this configuration and can only use the 4 ports via ethernet cable.

Of course there are always the Powerline adapter yokes. A lot of people swear by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jasper1422

bhickey wrote: »
    I assume then that you already have a wireless router to which the extender is connecting? If so then what make/model is it? You might be able to extend the network usdin WDS if you get a similar device.

Do you need the device with the 4-port hub to also further extend the wireless or do you only need the 4-port hub part of it? A device with DD-WRT can connect to a wireless network as a client bridge but you sacrifice the wireless in this configuration and can only use the 4 ports via ethernet cable.

Of course there are always the Powerline adapter yokes. A lot of people swear by them.

The Wireless router i am using is a D-Link DIR-655 which works very well with D link extender. I need a extender with a 4 port hub because i want to run a cable from the port to a external device.

The router is on a different power source to the office i have extender in so the powerline adapters are a no go.

Any more suggestions are welcome

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

jasper1422 wrote: »
    [I need a extender with a 4 port hub because i want to run a cable from the port to a external device.

Fair enough but do you ONLY need the 4-port hub part or is the further extension of wireless ALSO required?

If you also need to extend the wireless then normally you'd get a 2nd router and use WDS but I'm not sure that the D-Link DIR-655 supports WDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You'll not get an repeater with a 4 port hub, what You can do is get a router, flash it with a custom firmware and set it up in repeater mode
    http://lifehacker.com/265142/turn-your-wifi-router-into-a-repeater
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1136421&productID=S3107041

You lose lots of speed using a repeater and more latency, it would be best to get a cat5 cable to the second wireless device

bhickey wrote: »
    Fair enough but do you ONLY need the 4-port hub part or is the further extension of wireless ALSO required?

If you also need to extend the wireless then normally you'd get a 2nd router and use WDS but I'm not sure that the D-Link DIR-655 supports WDS.

I need it to do both. extend the signal and use the port . Migh have a go at setting up a second router .

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You'll not get an repeater with a 4 port hub, what You can do is get a router, flash it with a custom firmware and set it up in repeater mode
    http://lifehacker.com/265142/turn-your-wifi-router-into-a-repeater
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1136421&productID=S3107041

You lose lots of speed using a repeater and more latency, it would be best to get a cat5 cable to the second wireless device

Have a old router. might try and do this with it.

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement