Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does the licence thing work?

• 05-09-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

None of my family drive bikes and I've searched this forum but with no luck, so sorry if this is posted frequently here:

I am a 22yr Male with no Motorbike licence at all.

I want to start, preferably with a 125cc scooter.

Is it something like this?:

1) Apply for provisional (A License)
    2) Pass
    3) Buy 125cc Scooter (get insurance, tax, etc)
    4) Ride with Learner jacket until test comes up

Basically, can I use the 125cc to travel straight after provisional test (provided wearing L-plates), or am I only allowed up to 50cc?

Also, any recommendations for a 125er?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Not being snippy dude but you don't have to search. Just scroll. This gets asked a couple of times a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

cantdecide wrote: »
    Not being snippy dude but you don't have to search. Just scroll. This gets asked a couple of times a week.

By scrolling I found this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055047956 which was started 3 years ago.

I'm happy with this, if nothing has changed in licensing laws in three years. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Yeah get provisional/learner permit thing then do theory test the you can drive around with the l plates

I would recommend some lessons if no one is there to teach you I'd also recommend a real bike not a moped but can see the attraction

Just rember that on a 125 scooter yer protective gear needs to be just as good as on a bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Tigger wrote: »
    Yeah get provisional/learner permit thing then do theory test the you can drive around with the l plates

I would recommend some lessons if no one is there to teach you I'd also recommend a real bike not a moped but can see the attraction

Just rember that on a 125 scooter yer protective gear needs to be just as good as on a bike

Suzuki GN125 good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

You do the theory first, as someone who is waiting on my first learners permit at the moment I can confirm that you need to send a theory test cert away with your learners permit application.

After that you can apply for an A1 or A learners permit (or m but you wouldnt be bothered with that) The A1 will allow you to drive bikes up to 125cc although this is all you want it would be advisable to get an A learners permit in case you ever wish to upgrade. Also if you pass your full licence test with a bike on 125cc or lower you will only recieve an A1 licence and if you ever wanted to drive over 125 you would have to pass another test for your A licence.

• Advertisement

The Agogo wrote: »
    Suzuki GN125 good?

no
    but better than a scooter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

ah FFS :rolleyes:

sorry i dont follow if anyone deserves rolleyes on this thread its not me

sorry i dont follow if anyone deserves rolleyes on this thread its not me

Not you Tigger. The thread itself. Its like ground hog day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

KTRIC wrote: »
    ...Its like ground hog day...

I don't mind people coming on here and asking the age old question time and again but to say 'I can't find the answer when I search'? That's just a fib.

It's the lying I find unforgivable :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

KTRIC wrote: »
    ah FFS :rolleyes:

@KTRIC
    Maybe its time to drop the old FAQ sticky (first post is in 2004 and has Hibernian as an insurer :eek:) and start a new one.
    Make this the first question.
    I know no one will read it but if its relevant we can point posters to it.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    @KTRIC
    Maybe its time to drop the old FAQ sticky (first post is in 2004 and has Hibernian as an insurer :eek:) and start a new one.
    Make this the first question.
    I know no one will read it but if its relevant we can point posters to it.

When I get some time I'll sort it out. The constant repetitive threads asking about licencing is acting like an incentive though.

Advertisement