Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting with a mod

Options
  • 05-09-2010 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if there's a limit to how fast you can put rounds through a mod on a centerfire rifle.
    for example, say you're shooting steel, or water filled bottles for practice.
    will firing 5/6 shots in quick succession have any negative effects on a moderator

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Not sure about effects on the the mod, what it will do is rapidly heat your mod up causing mirage. If it's a reflex mod then the area of your barrel covered by the mod may well be hotter longer than the uncovered section.

Mirage is a pain in the ass, heat retention in the barrel, I'll leave to someone else. Plinking probably wouldn't be much of an issue, if you were zeroing or grouping it'd be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I'm going to go with no.

I base this on no more evidence then army types can do sull auto and not have the thing blow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Army types tend to do fully automatic stuff with firearms and barrels designed for it though. Running full-auto or even rapid-fire on some light barrels with some less-than-gentle calibres, could, in the wrong circumstances, damage the barrel past the point where repair is even feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i stopped using the over barrel mods ,now use a jetz .

cools quicker ,less heat haze .less bullet shift .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I only ever had mirage isssues from ~20-32 magnification with an ASE after firing +10 shots in 20 mins or so.

I have some of this camo tape on my reflex, not sure if it is a good idea as it could be an insulator and retain heat.

However normally I will only fire 5-10 shots max in a 1/2 hour time frame which lets it cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I only ever had mirage isssues from ~20-32 magnification with an ASE after firing +10 shots in 20 mins or so.
    That's only because you can see it at that magnification. It's still there at the lower magnifications, it's just not as visible.

Zoom scopes always lose some focus at the perimeter when zoomed in, so you pick up mirage in the periphery at the higher zoom levels. If you want to see mirage at the lower (or no) zoom levels, shift your focus back a bt from the target and you'll see it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I fired a nice few shots on Saturday and one string had the mod very hot to the touch.

Didn't really notice any mirage (bar the normal type off in the distance) using a high mag scope for 300 yard shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shedd7

Don't know what mod you are using but Stakelums in Thurles have Nomex covers for ASE mods,think they are less than 20euro. Nomex is the same material used in fireman's uniforms and F1 race drivers suits.Should help prevent mirage. Alternatively,make your own heat resistant cover from welder's blanket,think it is used to protect sensitive stuff like electrical cables when welding. Pretty sure someone on here will know some welders and they might have more info but as far as I know it comes in various sizes and thickness so it ought to be possible to make one and use velcro to hold it on the mod.

rrpc wrote: »
    That's only because you can see it at that magnification. It's still there at the lower magnifications, it's just not as visible.

Zoom scopes always lose some focus at the perimeter when zoomed in, so you pick up mirage in the periphery at the higher zoom levels. If you want to see mirage at the lower (or no) zoom levels, shift your focus back a bt from the target and you'll see it alright.

Or just leaver a few seconds for the mod to cool.;)

As I said only time Mirage was an issue was after a large string of shots on 32x
    Or the Normal when it's approaching 20deg C.
    Using a mod I'd be more concerned burning one self if not letting it cool & touching the mod after firing 10+ shots in a row as it will be as Hot as Cheryl Cole ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wrapping the Mod in Nomex will only keep the heat in the Mod longer, it works as insulation.
    I would leave it bare when zeroing and range work, if you have a stainless mod and need to make it less shiny you could always duraheat it or wrap it that camo webbing tape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Or use a mirage strap if you can fit it:

fetch.php?w=400&media=image1501.png

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I use a Roedale delta5 in steel and an A-tec in steel on my 308. These moderators have sturdy baffles. At the 300yd comps I went to lately, I fired 20 rounds in about 15 min. The steel mods had no problem with that, even had them cammo taped. The wind at the range helped against the heat haze.
    I wouldn't do that to the ultra light aluminum moderators though.

edi

ejg wrote: »
    I use a Roedale delta5 in steel and an A-tec in steel on my 308. These moderators have sturdy baffles. At the 300yd comps I went to lately, I fired 20 rounds in about 15 min. The steel mods had no problem with that, even had them cammo taped. The wind at the range helped against the heat haze.
    I wouldn't do that to the ultra light aluminum moderators though.

edi

Welcome Home Edi ;)
    Now get into that workshop of yours, Us left handed shooters need Rifle Stocks with raised cheek pieces :D:D:D

On Topic, How much is a Roedale Mod??

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Tac,
    Think the mods start at around 215,- 4 baffle and the 5 baffle I think around 250,-. Haven't looked at his webshop in a while.

Drop in anytime and we can look at a stock for you.
    lefties....:D

edi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

thanks for the feedback lads. i'm getting the mod fitted sunday, so i'll be doing an intensive zeroing session when i get home. i just wanted to know if it would do any damage

Advertisement