Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use a telephone cable (as an Eternet cable) to connect a router to a PC

Options
  • 05-09-2010 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

My PC is in a diferent room to my router. I already have a telephone cable running between the two places. I am trying to avoid drilling holes in the wall etc to run an ethernet cable. Is there anyway I can use the telephone cable that is in situ. Perhaps by wiring the ends into a ethernet plug? I know that my telephone cable does not have 8 pairs of wire. What I do not know is that are all 8 pairs "used" in a connection between a router and PC? If so, which ones, and I can just connect those????
    (note:- I currently have the router next to the PC but I need to move it because the wireless signal is crap to the rest of the house) (note- I cannot just tie a new ethernet cable to the telephone wire and pull it through because it is tight under floor boards)

Comments

Advertisement