Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I sell my return ticket to Ireland?

Options
  • 06-09-2010 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this

When I was coming over here I got a return ticket (for the sake of insurance, should I fail to find a job), and the furthest date I could choose was like December 20th.

I won't be going home then (not leaving Oz til March), so I was wondering is it possible to sell the return ticket? AFAIK it's possible to change the name on a plane ticket (for a fee), so I don't see why I couldn't.

Do ye think anyone would be willing to buy it? I'd probably shoot for $500 AUD, not sure if that's a reasonable price or what.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

its possible ...but you need to find a buyer for a one way ticket to Ireland...and normally pay the namechange fee.

not really an easy task .... they up some adverts for it and hope for the best....and Hope yer enjoying Oz !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hah thanks :D I'm loving Oz, will love it more once I get travelling though :p

I'm sure there's Irish people out there who haven't booked their flights home for Christmas, and would be happy to get one of the legs for cheap! I might drop into a Singapore Air branch and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Start advertising now Dave and at $500 I don't think you will have much trouble getting a buyer. $500 sounds like a good deal.

Glad to hear your enjoying your stay in Oz.

Hope the Oz winter was not too cold for you, lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Would it be better value for yourself, if you changed the dates, with whatever fee incurred by doing so, with whoever you booked with, to use when you depart yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I would pay you $500 in a heartbeat if I was going back.

Once you confirm the name change fee I reckon you will be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

That is a great price for anyone returning near those dates, which is the most expensive time of the year for travelling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Check with the airline on how much they would refund you for the ticket too.

In 2006 when I relocated top Dublin I got a return ticket. It was placed for the max 12 month allowed. When it came close and I wasn't going back I got a refund. I think it was about $600 at the time. So that may be a better option then paying a fee and getting less back.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Singapore don't allow you to change the name on a ticket :( I emailed them about it. Their FAQ says the same thing
    http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/general/help/booking/itinerary.jsp
    Assuming the conditions in question 1 are met, you would be permitted to change the flight/destination (please note that first board point can’t be changed), cabin class (to a higher cabin class only) and travel dates. We do not permit changes to passenger name or number of passengers. Contact details, such as phone and email, are amendable, but will only apply to the specific booking. The KrisFlyer profile will not be automatically updated. If you wish to update your profile, please do so via krisflyer.com

And, tickets are only valid for 1 year maximum, so March 4th is the latest I can use it :( So it's effectively useless to me now.

Maybe I'll ask them about a refund, unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Sounds like a weekend in Singapore is in order for you.

I don't follow :pac:

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    I don't follow :pac:
    You've already got a ticket to Singapore. If you buy a one way back then you can go for a short holiday there. Just don't use your onward flight from Singapore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Singapore don't allow you to change the name on a ticket :(

Whats your name? You never know might be someone with the same name as you here...

Doc wrote: »
    Whats your name? You never know might be someone with the same name as you here...
    Interesting suggestion. Would they match the passport details though?

Hah, nice suggestion :p But no, my surname's not very common unfortunately. It'd be a different passport number anyway. I'm not really arsed goin to Singapore either. Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

go for the formula one! its a great city!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I would say you will get some refund for the unused portion of the ticket if you explain the circumstances to the Airline.

You could also look for a cheap one way ticket back & have a short trip home to Ireland. Maybe shop around for an Air Asia flight with no luggage. Take family/friends some gifts home from Australia & come back without luggage on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/general/help/booking/itinerary.jsp??v=1128321885&
    I have already flown part of my booked itinerary. Can I cancel my remaining itinerary?
    Yes, you can do this through your local Singapore Airlines office. You can locate your local office from the Contact Us page of this website.

the_syco wrote: »
    Cheers

Emailed them about that but they say it can be cancelled, but it's non-refundable :mad:

I think that's all the options exhausted

blehhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Cheers

Emailed them about that but they say it can be cancelled, but it's non-refundable :mad:

blehhh
    Not even for company credit ....oh thats harsh.

That will definitely make me wary of booking fares with Singapore Air.

I would be looking for a cheap no luggage one way trip back & using it up.

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »
    That will definitely make me wary of booking fares with Singapore Air.

I would be looking for a cheap no luggage one way trip back & using it up.
    It's no different to any other airline in the world, if you want a cheaper fare then you get the cheaper fare conditions. If you pay more then you get some flexibility. Risk costs money. If you want the airline to bear the risk then you pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Cheers

blehhh

While the ticket may be non-refundable, they have to refund the taxes if you cancel (though they may charge an admin fee for this). See what portion of the ticket is taxes - they can build up if you're going through multiple airports. SYD->SIN->FRA->DUB for example could have taxes in the region of €200-€250

Better than a kick in the teeth :)

Advertisement