Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tv Query

• 06-09-2010 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

The time has come to replace our 25-year-old Philips 17" TV (the only TV in the house)!! Obviously not being big TV people we do not want a gigantic plasma or even a 32" LCD. I think 26" is the largest I will be "allowed" to bring into the house. Until recently I would have gone to Alliance Electric in George's Street as Mark and the others there really know their stuff. Alas I believe they are gone. Any ideas on a brand/general advice on a 26" TV or even a suggestion of a shop where the people may be able to discuss the issues in a reasonable way?

Questions arise like:

Do I need HD?
    What resolutions/other features should I insist on?
    Does it have Audio out?
    What is the sound quality of the actual TV like?

I have narrowed it down to Panasonic/Sony/Samsung/LG but have no idea if I am just being influenced by sales talk.

Any experiences/ideas gratefully accepted.

Denis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ireland is in the process of transitioning to digital TV transmission, so the most important criteria is probably the set having a receiver compatible with the digital system Ireland will be using. Do not get a set that says it is compatible with the UK's Freeview digital system because that wont work.

What the set will need is an an MPEG-4 decoder. The UK sets use MPEG-2.

You don't need to worry about resolution and things such as HD given the size of the set you are looking at. Your viewing distance would have to be only a foot or two for you to be able to see a benefit in HD.

I don't know if such small sets have dedicated audio outs. Most sets have a headphone output which can be used for audio out if there are no dedicated RCA sockets.

You would probably also want a set which has provision for HDMI input and other inputs that would let you use any ancillary equipment you might already have like a SKY box or DVD player.

The sound quality question can best be answered by going into a shop and listening because they vary. Flat panels tend to have smaller cabinets than CRT TVs and generally don't have great audio performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DNT

Thanks for the heads up, CnocBui. Much appreciated.

Denis

Advertisement